Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wondering what you need to do to be classed as one of a sub category of gamers eg casual, hardcore etc.

obviously a gamer is a person who plays games, so almost everyone can call themselves a gamer of somesort

what i would do is class someone who plays games, for a short amount of time of time everytime they play as a casual gamer. and i would then class someone who plays games regularly for hours on end a hardcore gamer, but i would also have ot say that only people who play more than just the 'main stream' games, eg COD, WOW, FIFA etc, and across multiple genres, a hardcore gamer. ive chose the main ones causal and hardcore because thats what most people are familiar with but i also dont know of any others.

what would everyone else define as a sub category? and what would you class yourselves as?

ReputationRep:
    Urghh what's the need to categorise anyway. Gamer play games. Why is that not the end of it ? ?

I suppose if you were to add sub categories then
    Hardcore = plays gamers constantly

Casual = someone who plays on a regular basis

Maybe I was a bit harsh on the hardcore gamers but I am pretty sure I am close.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say that somebody who plays pretty much everyday is a hardcore gamer. I used to think that if you only play one of the more popular titles (CoD, FIFA), you aren't really hardcore, but they may play that one game for hours and hours everyday. Pro gamers more than likely only focus on the game that they're really good at. You wouldn't call them non-hardcores.

Casuals would probably be someone that plays every now and again and doesn't get very competitive if they ever play online multiplayer.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think it's a bit tough because there are so many game genres and so many levels of free time. There's weekend warriors, who might have kids and a job. There's casual gamers who enjoy them, but it's not their primary hobby. Or they might only like phone games, which are apparently big enough to be their own thing.

I don't have a huge amount of free time as a postgrad. Not if I actually want to keep up marks. :P So while I was more of a hardcore gamer, I still love games, I just play them less.

And there's posers in every hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Passion and frequency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Passion and frequency.
    I would add knowledge of the games to that list too

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the games. CoD and Fifa are 'casual' games. Assassin's Creed, GTA and arguably Mass Effect and Skyrim are on the border now. There are some games like Borderlands, Far Cry etc that are also headed in that direction. This is probably just because gaming is getting so big. I love all of the games I mentioned (except I never played Fifa)

ReputationRep:
    In my dictionary,
    gamer = someone who counts playing video games as one of their hobbies, whether they play an hour a week or 8 hours a day.

I understand why the terms 'casual' and 'hardcore' exist, but I'm not a fan of categorising, because then you get all this elitism going on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't class someone who occasionally plays a bit of Tetris on their phone as a gamer.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lanfan)
    In my dictionary,
    gamer = someone who counts playing video games as one of their hobbies, whether they play an hour a week or 8 hours a day.

I understand why the terms 'casual' and 'hardcore' exist, but I'm not a fan of categorising, because then you get all this elitism going on.
    I agree with this, categorising isn't really necessary.

If you love playing video games and you think of it as a hobby then you're a 'gamer' regardless of what you play or for how long you get to play for.

ReputationRep:
    It's a label for the person who's giving it's benefit. It doesn't really exist. You'll often see it used to invalidate someone's opinion, or to put themselves on a pedestal, rather than as an actual category. Therefore, its definition depends on the issues the person who's giving it is having, but it's never a real definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lanfan)
    In my dictionary,

There's no elitism going on. They're simply descriptors that show who plays more games and has more knowledge. I highly doubt casuals really care?

I'd define a hardcore gamer as someone that reads gaming media (Kotaku, IGN, Polygon) and is generally aware of what is happening in the industry - such as E3. Casual gamers are those who don't really care about finding out what's being released and will pick up whatever is in the shops or what their friends have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_green_day)
    I think it depends on the games. CoD and...are 'casual' games.
    Unless you're MLG.

ReputationRep:
    A causal gamer will play a game.

A hardcore gamer will refine their skills in a game or genre of games until they are capable of competing at a high level.

For instance, I play racing games with the aim of improving my knowledge of the track and car until I feel I'm at the maximum the car can go.

Of course, following the gaming industry comes hand in hand with hardcore gamers. They want to know what their next challenge is going to be and how it will improve over previous titles.

It doesn't really matter to me how much time you spend playing or what game, it's more the way you play. Life gets in the way of gaming for sure!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    A 'hardcore gamer' is someone who:

- Only cares about the gameplay, yet spends four figures on a 'gaming PC' that plays the latest games on the highest graphics settings with the fastest FPS.

- Doesn't just play Call of Duty, because hardcore gamers play their favourite game religiously every day, knowing it inside and out, and casuals are only people who play Call of Duty religiously, knowing it inside and out, and Call of Duty doesn't count.

- Claims to spend most of their free time playing games, when in fact they spend a vast amount TALKING about games on forums or doing activities on games which are fun-less (ie. 'Achievement hunting') rather than playing them.

- Talk about games on forums more than actually playing them. The common procedure is to buy a new AAA game (even though they don't really buy them, because this mainstream crap doesn't have gameplay any more) and then play it for one hour, then pause it and talk about it on internet forums for several hours before actually continuing to play it.

- Buys indie games, because no one else buys indie games.

- Doesn't play on Facebook. Play with themselves while looking at Facebook, yes, but not actually games. Even though they're 'hardcore gamers' so you'd think games would take priority here.

- Has every Achievement/Trophy for every game, even though it wasted away hours, days, WEEKS full of boredom, repitition and anger to the point of breaking controllers and wishing death on developers. Time and effort that could've been spent PLAYING MORE GAMES.

- Main hobby is playing and talking about video games. If you hike a lot, look at the night sky, and also play games, you're not a hardcore gamer. No, shut up, I don't care how much you love games, if you loved them that much you'd stop doing other things you love.

- Imports games, making all Japanophiles hardcore gamers.

- Owns several video game-related shirts, because nothing says "I'm a hardcore gamer" more than a game-related shirt that you're wearing while outside not playing video games.

- Doesn't own a Wii, because owning a (particular) games console, even if in addition to others, makes you less of a gamer.

- Is highly skilled at online multiplayer games. Call of Duty doesn't count, nor does being good without playing it a lot. Don't ask why, go away with your questions.

- Downloads mods for games. Because you're not a 'true gamer' until you play other people's ****tier versions of the game you already have.

- Buys consoles at launch price and pre-orders games at £10 more than they normally are rather than waiting a bit. Real hardcore gamers don't care about price, just the games. Kinda sounds like an addiction, but no it's just being a hardcore gamer.

- Tends to like FPS. Except Call of Duty. Any game that has a large marketing budget and a fanbase that consists of chavs as well as other people isn't a real game. Except all games that aren't Call of Duty.

I hope I have illustrated my point why 'gamer' and 'hardcore gamer' are non-existant labels used by people to describe themselves to validate their opinion, same with 'casual' being a pseudo-label used to invalidate someone else's.

If 'casual' and 'hardcore' did exist, the casuals own the hardcore.

ReputationRep:
    "casual" and "hardcore" are stupid ways to categorize gaming. As someone said before, there is no need to divide gamers into different groups.

If you own a device you can play games on, and use it on a regular basis then you are a gamer. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Phone Gamers are not gamers. Let me just put that out there.

I race competitively online. In fact, it's MSA Sanctioned so it really is the basic level of grass roots motorsport without shelling out for a kart. Also, some of the races are recorded and air on TV! (Motors TV) Races are held on Forza Motorsport 4 for the Xbox 360 and in multiple disciplines, such as Touring Cars, GT Race cars, Prototypes and Clio Spec Racing. We also hold an annual Le Mans 24 Hours in teams of 2-4 drivers per car. Putting your consistency and speed to the test at all ungodly hours of the day. Of course the event is streamed live on to various websites. Is that Hardcore enough?

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kilroy8)
    Phone Gamers are not gamers. Let me just put that out there.

I race competitively online. In fact, it's MSA Sanctioned so it really is the basic level of grass roots motorsport without shelling out for a kart. Also, some of the races are recorded and air on TV! (Motors TV) Races are held on Forza Motorsport 4 for the Xbox 360 and in multiple disciplines, such as Touring Cars, GT Race cars, Prototypes and Clio Spec Racing. We also hold an annual Le Mans 24 Hours in teams of 2-4 drivers per car. Putting your consistency and speed to the test at all ungodly hours of the day. Of course the event is streamed live on to various websites. Is that Hardcore enough?

http://www.theonlineracingassociation.com/
    Hardcore isn't the word some people would use for it.

ReputationRep:
    well I play games like everyday I also have like 5 consoles and a gaming PC, so I imagine people probably would describe me as a hardcore gamer, though I play a lot of more casual games as well on my phone or Wii or whatever as well.

generally I just play any game that's fun, don't much care about the genre though I guess I play some more than others, console warz and that are way behind me though, there are great games and features on all the consoles so refusing to like or play one type just seems daft to me now, when you are a kid sure, but as im 24 now I tend to think I am more mature than that (even though I do still love stuff like Pokemon!)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.