The Student Room Group

Greatest Lessons You've learnt in life?

I'm going through a bit of a phase at the moment, where I'm taking a lot of advice from elderly people to gain a bit of perspective in life. What are some of the greatest lessons you've personally learnt? Or any lessons you've learnt from older people?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never have regrets and to not let what people think of me get to me
1- Treat other people as you wish to be treated.

2- Just keep moving forward.
1. Don't judge people based on how they look
2. Try to be as empathetic as possible
3. You're only young once, so try to make the most of it
4. If you're having a bad day, to try and remember there's always tomorrow
5. To not be a judgmental person
6. To try and forgive people and let go of bitterness
"Ain't nothin' goin' on but the rent"
Reply 5
Life's all but a memory in the end. Make sure you create lots of them

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
1) Live for today, you never know when your journey will end. It can happen whether you're young and fit or old and feeble. Hug your loved ones tight, let them know they're appreciated.
2) Don't forget the people who care about you, and rid yourself of toxic people or those who don't care
3) It's good to talk about things. If you're with people who care, you really shouldn't feel bad for crying your eyes out about your worries, as it's all part of the healing process and keeping bad emotions bottled is bad for you
4) Don't forget good times when life takes you on a different path, but don't live in the past
5) it's better to have one fantastic friend than lots of fakes
6) If you feel strongly about something, stand up and speak out. Project your voice. As Dr Seuss said, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
7) Hatred is exhausting. Just rid of them, and ignore them
8) Forgiving someone takes courage, but it can make you feel happier. It's also, for some people, the worst punishment
9) Have fun.
Sometimes you've just got too accept the fact that some people will never come off their cloud.
never waste time talking to the elderly to try to get perspective in life.
Reply 9
Always clean up after yourself.
Reply 10
doing something is better than nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
The importance of healthy eating and physical exercise.

I suffered from crippling depression for over 2 years, a period where I was alone, recluse, and fat. The only thing that helped me put my depression at bay has been exercise. My food is free of all those e numbers and chemicals and I feel much more fresh.

There are studies that dig deep into the effect of exercise on depression. Whilst there isn't a known link, there is definitely a correlation between the two.
- Everyone is going through or has gone through some difficult times, don't judge.
- Treat other people how you want to be treated.
- People will always try to find faults with you. It is up to you whether you choose to listen to them.
- Those who fill their hearts with hatred and poison will never know how to love.
- Enjoy every minute of your life because every minute is valuable, and you never know when it might all be over.
Reply 13
"Be kind to all beings, this is more meritorious than bathing at all the world's sacred shrines of pilgrimage and donating money."

"Practice truth, contentment and kindness; this is the most excellent way of life. One who is so blessed by the Sat, renounces selfishness, and becomes the dust of all."

"One who is seen to be alive, shall surely die. But he who is dead shall remain ever-lasting. Those who die while yet alive, shall through this death, live on."
Reply 14
I'm going to go against the grain here... But after 3 years of working and at the tender age of 25, I have come to one realisation: I should treat people the way THEY would like to be treated.

People are all different, and the challenge is understanding subtleties in their personalities and using that to your advantage.

If I treated everyone the way I would like to be treated, that's a good start. But what makes an even better impression is making that slight adjustment to tailor yourself to other people's wants in the workplace (and in life)

Takes a bit of skill though, one I haven't quite cracked yet, but seeing the benefits in trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Forgive your enemies......but remember their names
Reply 16
Under no circumstances should you ask a woman when she is due.
Reply 17
Time heals all wounds, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.
Reply 18
Life is 10% what happens to us, and 90% how we react to it.
3 things:

Anything is possible within the limits of ones imagination and the laws of nature.

It's better to be world-class at a few things than mediocre at many.

Circumstances don't determine how our life turns out, only the action we take (or don't take).

Can't think of any more… See you at the top! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending