Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any Oxford students here that are unhappy with their colleges? Also, how important is this choice? I know that people say it doesn't really matter, but I don't want to regret it later, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_chemist)
    Is there any Oxford students here that are unhappy with their colleges? Also, how important is this choice? I know that people say it doesn't really matter, but I don't want to regret it later, just in case.
    I know people who moan about their colleges (eg bad accommodation/ food, expensive batels, less-than-ideal location, people making a ruckus at 2am and junior deans failing to police them) but I think it's pretty hard to find someone who actually hates it. Most people just learn to make do with what ever perceived inadequacies they dislike - there's little else you can do. It's relatively difficult to switch colleges once you've gotten an offer.

Also bear in mind that there is a significant proportion of candidates who got reallocated, in which case whatever say you have in selection is moot. If it were me, I'd much rather take a bet on a college that doesn't appear as attractive on paper than give up going to Oxford altogether.

That said, if you really disliked your college, you'd probably be able to avoid it by living out after 1st year and getting more involved with uni level societies.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    ruckus at 2am
    Off-topic but OMG, SOMEONE ELSE ON THIS PLANET USES THE WORD RUCKUS OTHER THAN IN MY FAMILY

Repped

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.