Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I've applied to do BA Geography for 2014 and QMUL. I've just reviewed my personal statement and realised that I've missed out commas where they should be, even though my tutor helped me edit it and said it was all fine! I know I should have spent longer on it, but it's hard to edit your own work and I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my tutor because she kept missing the deadlines she said she'd have my personal statement back to me... so there was no choice but to do it quickly after two weeks of no contact. I had to send my application of quickly for valid reasons, in normal circumstances I would've spend more time on it.

That being said, I have the predicted grades and a really good reference from what I've seen. So I'm wondering if the Queen Mary Geography department will mind that much that the punctuation is weak in a couple of places, but the statement still shows enthusiasm. Could I still be invited to interview? Do you think I should contact them with this concern about the personal statement and ask if I could send an essay that represents my ability? I feel it's likely to disadvantage me, but what do you all say?

Is it true that the course is fairly under-subscribed and nearly always in clearing? If this is the case and I get rejected can I ask them to consider me if there are places left?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

The way I believe it works is that the interview is designed to give another aspect that you wouldn't otherwise get - so they can see your enthusiam face-to-face etc.
    If your grades are good then I can't see why they would reject you - after all it is in their best interest to get the best students!

With all due respect I have a friend who even after 3 years of his degree was still getting there,their,they're mixed up etc. and after all the idea of going to uni is to iron out these errors and improve your writing etc. Should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mot91)
    Hi!

The way I believe it works is that the interview is designed to give another aspect that you wouldn't otherwise get - so they can see your enthusiam face-to-face etc.
    If your grades are good then I can't see why they would reject you - after all it is in their best interest to get the best students!

With all due respect I have a friend who even after 3 years of his degree was still getting there,their,they're mixed up etc. and after all the idea of going to uni is to iron out these errors and improve your writing etc. Should be fine!
    Lets hope so! Best of luck... are you applying anywhere this year?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.