Official Aston University Representative Q & A 2013-14

Watch
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, my name is Daniel and I work at Aston University, I look after the university Social Media and will taking over from Karen's previous Aston University thread.

I am here to help you with any questions about studying at Aston, help you to get information about the courses you are interested in, what Birmingham is like, or anything else that you’d like to know.

I'll be online checking this thread once or twice a week but you can also find me on any of the other University Social Media profiles such as Facebook & Twitter etc. I look forward to hearing from you.

Daniel Blyden
Official University Representative
laughalot_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi!

I'm interested in studying LLB Law at Aston which is AAB or 340 tariff points and I achieved Merit BC at AS and I'm aiming for a Distinction* AB in A2. I'm not concerned about my A2 (since these are my predicted grades as far as I'm aware) but my AS grades. Do they hold a lot of weight when the uni is considering future students? I'm also taking two GCSE maths exams next month where I have been predicted a C and I spoke to a lecturer on your open day on the 19th and he said they would be more lenient with the maths grade (suppose I got a D) since there are now two Law courses. However I intend to get a C.
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by laughalot_x)
Hi!

I'm interested in studying LLB Law at Aston which is AAB or 340 tariff points and I achieved Merit BC at AS and I'm aiming for a Distinction* AB in A2. I'm not concerned about my A2 (since these are my predicted grades as far as I'm aware) but my AS grades. Do they hold a lot of weight when the uni is considering future students? I'm also taking two GCSE maths exams next month where I have been predicted a C and I spoke to a lecturer on your open day on the 19th and he said they would be more lenient with the maths grade (suppose I got a D) since there are now two Law courses. However I intend to get a C.
Hello laughalot,

Your A level grades are more important than your AS grades so don't worry too much about your AS, just do your best to achieve your predicted grades as well at least the C in Maths and you will be fine. Best of Luck
sambobbins123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aston University)
Hello, my name is Daniel and I work at Aston University, I look after the university Social Media and will taking over from Karen's previous Aston University thread.

I am here to help you with any questions about studying at Aston, help you to get information about the courses you are interested in, what Birmingham is like, or anything else that you’d like to know.

I'll be online checking this thread once or twice a week but you can also find me on any of the other University Social Media profiles such as Facebook & Twitter etc. I look forward to hearing from you.

Daniel Blyden
Official University Representative

Hi there, my name is sam

i think i posted what i wanted to ask on the wrong page(excuse me, as i have only made my account on SR today)..
I Have a few questions, i have applied, just wondering how long it takes your admission tutors to make a decision. And i have got 4 GCSE's at grade A* to C and with a BTEC level 2 in sport (worth 2 GCSE'S), does this still count as a GCSE ? I am predicited D*D*D* and i am applying to the Business computing and IT course. However, after reading the number of applicants apply to get a place is about 13 per place which is worrying me.
Thanks for reading.
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by sambobbins123)
Hi there, my name is sam

i think i posted what i wanted to ask on the wrong page(excuse me, as i have only made my account on SR today)..
I Have a few questions, i have applied, just wondering how long it takes your admission tutors to make a decision. And i have got 4 GCSE's at grade A* to C and with a BTEC level 2 in sport (worth 2 GCSE'S), does this still count as a GCSE ? I am predicited D*D*D* and i am applying to the Business computing and IT course. However, after reading the number of applicants apply to get a place is about 13 per place which is worrying me.
Thanks for reading.
Hello Sam,

It can take up to two to three weeks to have a response on your UCAS track depending on how many applications our admissions officers are dealing with. The team will be reviewing your application so don't worry as the length of time will bear no indication as to whether you are offered or declined a place.

Best wishes
sambobbins123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello Sam,

It can take up to two to three weeks to have a response on your UCAS track depending on how many applications our admissions officers are dealing with. The team will be reviewing your application so don't worry as the length of time will bear no indication as to whether you are offered or declined a place.

Best wishes

Thanks for the reply,

In regards to the requirements for that course, i mean if i have the BTEC requirements and predicted quite high as stated above. Would my GCSE's jeopardise my chance of getting in?
captain123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Im in a similar situation to Sam. I want to study "Electronic Engineering and Computer Science", I am currently studying BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in Electrical/Electronic Engineering and aiming for D*D*D* plus A-Level Maths at grade A.

My only problem is that in GCSE's, my teacher said I wasn't capable of studying GCSE Science (Double Award), so she put me down to BTEC Science, which was annoying because I was good at physics and enjoyed it, but wasn't good at biology or chemistry which put me down to BTEC Overall, so will you be able to consider my application having studied BTEC Science?
sambobbins123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Finally got my offer for october 2014 entry!
Sent off application on the 15th of october.
Decision made on the 28th of october.
Sparklicious
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. I have many questions. If you could take your time to read and answer them if be extremely grateful.

I'm not going to lie, I'm only in year 8. I think that it's never to early to start thinking about your future as it gives you greater advantages. Ive seem aston university many times as we've drove to your city centre. It looks amazing! Everyone looks so happy and they seem to have chosen the right path of university.

i would love it if I would be able to go to Aston university in the future. Could you answer these question?

what courses do you do?
do you have medical course? For example; being a nurse or doctor and working in a hospital. Not in offices for most of your work days.

Or a vetenarian course? I love animals and always have. I'd love to work with them.

Do I HAVE to do a levels to get into aston university or can I just go to college? What's the difference?

do you get a bursery? My mum went to Coventry university to be an occupational therapist and she got a bursary.

What are the prices for accommodation? What is the nicest room with en suite? How often do you have to pay the rent? And which of the choices has only 1 room mate? (You and another person).

sorry for this being so long. And some of you may think I'm obsessed with this but really I'm not.

thanks in advance x
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by sambobbins123)
Finally got my offer for october 2014 entry!
Sent off application on the 15th of october.
Decision made on the 28th of october.
Congratulations Sam, best wishes with the rest of your studies.
Aston University
Rep:
?
Hi

Thank you for your enquiry.Sorry for the delay to respond. For the BEng course in Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, we would be making you an offer based on the BTEC Extended Diploma L3 in Electrical/Electronic Engineering and the A-Level Maths. I presume you will have a minimum grade C in GCSE English?

The BTEC Science would not be of concern to us to be honest. We feel that what you’re studying now is of greater importance to us and it does look like you are on the right track and would have the right pre-requisites to join our course. So don’t worry – we can make you an offer based on what you’re doing now. Hope this helps and we look forward to receiving an application from you.  If you’re still worried, feel free to ring the Engineering Admissions team on 0121 204 3400.
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparklicious)
Hello, I'm so glad I found this forum. I have many questions. If you could take your time to read and answer them if be extremely grateful.

I'm not going to lie, I'm only in year 8. I think that it's never to early to start thinking about your future as it gives you greater advantages. Ive seem aston university many times as we've drove to your city centre. It looks amazing! Everyone looks so happy and they seem to have chosen the right path of university.

i would love it if I would be able to go to Aston university in the future. Could you answer these question?

what courses do you do?
do you have medical course? For example; being a nurse or doctor and working in a hospital. Not in offices for most of your work days.

Or a vetenarian course? I love animals and always have. I'd love to work with them.

Do I HAVE to do a levels to get into aston university or can I just go to college? What's the difference?

do you get a bursery? My mum went to Coventry university to be an occupational therapist and she got a bursary.

What are the prices for accommodation? What is the nicest room with en suite? How often do you have to pay the rent? And which of the choices has only 1 room mate? (You and another person).

sorry for this being so long. And some of you may think I'm obsessed with this but really I'm not.

thanks in advance x

Hi Sparklicious,

We are really inspired that you are considering Aston so early on.

Which school do you currently attend?
Sparklicious
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Sparklicious,

We are really inspired that you are considering Aston so early on.

Which school do you currently attend?
I am currently attending st Anne's catholic primary school nuneaton warwickshire
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparklicious)
I am currently attending st Anne's catholic primary school nuneaton warwickshire
Cool, well you can find the answers to all of your questions on our website at http://www.aston.ac.uk

Courses http://www1.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/

Accommodation http://www1.aston.ac.uk/study/accommodation/

I hope that helps.

Best wishes
Sparklicious
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OMG, so sorry just realised what mistake I made :/ I meant to put I'm currently attending hartshill school nuneaton warwickshire, I still miss primary school
~T~
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
I'm interested in the Business and Management course at Aston which requires AAB at A-levels. Currently I have been predicted ABC although I'm retaking a few modules and I know I can do better, do you think my UCAS application will be rejected straight away because of my predicted grades? If yes, do you think I have a better chance of being accepted to Aston if I apply for a course that requires ABB?
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~T~)
Hi,
I'm interested in the Business and Management course at Aston which requires AAB at A-levels. Currently I have been predicted ABC although I'm retaking a few modules and I know I can do better, do you think my UCAS application will be rejected straight away because of my predicted grades? If yes, do you think I have a better chance of being accepted to Aston if I apply for a course that requires ABB?

Hi

You should still apply for Business & Management as we can still consider those predicted grades.

Best Wishes

Aston
p.s Sorry for the delay to respond.
medicineman123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
i'm applying for Optometry, I wanted to know how lenient are Aston with the grades, I've a achieved grades ABC but I am retaking the B and C grades.

Kind regards
Aston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by medicineman123)
Hi,
i'm applying for Optometry, I wanted to know how lenient are Aston with the grades, I've a achieved grades ABC but I am retaking the B and C grades.

Kind regards
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding, it is very busy here at the moment. Provided that you are studying the subjects we need and you make it clear in your application that you are retaking two of your A-Levels we would consider you. Your referee will also need to provide your predicted grades for the retakes.

Regards,

LHS Admissions
medicineman123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding, it is very busy here at the moment. Provided that you are studying the subjects we need and you make it clear in your application that you are retaking two of your A-Levels we would consider you. Your referee will also need to provide your predicted grades for the retakes.

Regards,

LHS Admissions
Hi,
No worries. Thank you for getting back. One more question is it possible to be placed on a waiting list for the course. Do I have to phone admissions and asked to be put on a waiting list?

Best Wishes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (117)
27.08%
England (154)
35.65%
Belgium (33)
7.64%
Germany (42)
9.72%
Spain (10)
2.31%