Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    For the fellow 'normal' Alevel mathematicians, like myself, how did you you choose your FM and/or AFM modules?
    Especially if they were self taught? I mean you don't know the content unless you study it!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get to choose...
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    I didn't get to choose...
    Ah, fair enough.
    I'm hoping though that someone did choose.
    A lot of people on here do selfteach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Ah, fair enough.
    I'm hoping though that someone did choose.
    A lot of people on here do selfteach.
    Anything in particular you'd like to do at University ? What other subjects do you do apart from Maths /Fm
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bijesh12)
    Anything in particular you'd like to do at University ? What other subjects do you do apart from Maths /Fm
    I also do Chemistry, Biology and Music.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I also do Chemistry, Biology and Music.
    Why?
    Sorry I didn't read the post lol.. I thought you were seeking advice on how to choose modules. Anyway i chose my modules based on my other subjects and what i wanted to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    To teach I thought "Which units will : (1) Interest the pupils (2) Be most suitable the vast majority of a cohort in year 12 and then year 13 given their maths ability (3) Make me want to get all excited about doing the unit (4) Allow for the best results"

On Edexcel my choices would be:

Maths to a non further cohort
    C1-4
    D1 y12
    M1 y13

Further Maths
    FP1, FP2
    Get someone else to do S1 (as I can't get excited about it and don't think it's a great hello to FM in y12)
    Get someone else to do D2 (as I don't teach it)
    M2,S2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    To teach I thought "Which units will : (1) Interest the pupils (2) Be most suitable the vast majority of a cohort in year 12 and then year 13 given their maths ability (3) Make me want to get all excited about doing the unit (4) Allow for the best results"

On Edexcel my choices would be:

Maths to a non further cohort
    C1-4
    D1 y12
    M1 y13

Further Maths
    FP1, FP2
    Get someone else to do S1 (as I can't get excited about it and don't think it's a great hello to FM in y12)
    Get someone else to do D2 (as I don't teach it)
    M2,S2
    Stats is the best but probability is 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My favourites were S3, S4 and M5. I preferred FP3 out of the FPs, since it was the easiest.
    Stats is the best but probability is
    I have to do a probability course on my compsci degree, and I'd pay my tuition fees twice-over to go back to A-level probability!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    My favourites were S3, S4 and M5. I preferred FP3 out of the FPs, since it was the easiest.

I have to do a probability course on my compsci degree, and I'd pay my tuition fees twice-over to go back to A-level probability!
    Lol I hate it it's been on my trail for 3 years of my degree and I Hate it with a a passion. I just seem to know the probability of getting heads on a coin, nothing more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stats is the best but probability is ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last time I suffered from insomnia the Doctor pulled an S1 book from under his table and said "Give it 1 page and you will never count a sheep again"

ReputationRep:
    For the fellow 'normal' Alevel mathematicians, like myself, how did you you choose your FM and/or AFM modules?
    Especially if they were self taught? I mean you don't know the content unless you study it!

You definitely didnt do OCR MEI then! Our FP3 is multivariable calculus, vector geometry, markov chains, differential geometry and group theory

What board did you do and what were the topics if u remember?

ReputationRep:
    i picked C1-4 M1-4 S1-4 FP1-3 D1 NM DE (MEI)

I wanted to do all the pure/mech/stats because im applying to maths at uni so i wanted some actual maths that was more challenging, like taking M4 instead of D2 ( my teacher insisted I did D1 )

DE is very useful for uni maths so if ur on MEI i would advise u take it

ReputationRep:
    I think

C1-4
    FP1-FP3
    M1-2
    S1-2
    D1-2

Choose the best 12

Unless you hate Stats in which case do more Mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceKidd)
    You definitely didnt do OCR MEI then! Our FP3 is multivariable calculus, vector geometry, markov chains, differential geometry and group theory

What board did you do and what were the topics if u remember?
    No, I did AQA, although that sounds interesting! No number theory across the whole AQA A-level! Topics were differential equations, approximative methods and polar coordinates..

ReputationRep:
    i picked C1-4 M1-4 S1-4 FP1-3 D1 NM DE (MEI)

I wanted to do all the pure/mech/stats because im applying to maths at uni so i wanted some actual maths that was more challenging, like taking M4 instead of D2 ( my teacher insisted I did D1 )

DE is very useful for uni maths so if ur on MEI i would advise u take it
    Lovin D.E atm it's not that bad either just remembering all the complimentary functions and see how it would be way more helpful than any decision maths lol, but the coursework is horrible tbh... Yeah our FP3 is insane especially compared to FP2. I like group theory though.. What's s3/4 like I decided I had enough after S2 number crunching was doing my head in.

ReputationRep:
    No, I did AQA, although that sounds interesting! No number theory across the whole AQA A-level! Topics were differential equations, approximative methods and polar coordinates..
    yeah tbh it is good its interesting and in the beginning opf the book it says it starts to cover the begginings of maths uni first year. we have a DE module as well and cover approximative methods in NM and polar coords in fp2 haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChildishHambino)
    Lovin D.E atm it's not that bad either just remembering all the complimentary functions and see how it would be way more helpful than any decision maths lol, but the coursework is horrible tbh... Yeah our FP3 is insane especially compared to FP2. I like group theory though.. What's s3/4 like I decided I had enough after S2 number crunching was doing my head in.
    Yeah DE is sick...we havent gotten round to coursework yet though. have you started yours. with FP3 Im doing multivariable calculus atm. Our FP2 seems to cover most boards FP2 and FP3 haaha! S3 is good and actually interesting, alot less hypothesis testing stuff and now stuff like expectation algebra...actually use a fair bit of calculus woot!

M4 though.....its a big book of calculus in mechanics :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah DE is sick...we havent gotten round to coursework yet though. have you started yours. with FP3 Im doing multivariable calculus atm. Our FP2 seems to cover most boards FP2 and FP3 haaha! S3 is good and actually interesting, alot less hypothesis testing stuff and now stuff like expectation algebra...actually use a fair bit of calculus woot!

M4 though.....its a big book of calculus in mechanics :headbang:
    Yeah, the experiment was pretty fun because there were lots of us but the write up is boring and mostly independent unlike the C3 coursework. Haven't started much FP3 yet because we are learning FP2 and 3 together and then still got mechanics 3 to look forward too. We don't get up to M4 i've skimmed through a couple of books though and it just seems like it's so applied that its pure. I can't stand reading off those grimy formula tables for stats, hurts your eyes man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChildishHambino)
    Yeah, the experiment was pretty fun because there were lots of us but the write up is boring and mostly independent unlike the C3 coursework. Haven't started much FP3 yet because we are learning FP2 and 3 together and then still got mechanics 3 to look forward too. We don't get up to M4 i've skimmed through a couple of books though and it just seems like it's so applied that its pure. I can't stand reading off those grimy formula tables for stats, hurts your eyes man!
    yeah m4 is really so pure, more so than something like C4 trust me!

Ahh do u actually have to do an experiment hahah! C3 cwk was really easy...is it harder to get good marks in do you think? Have you done and got a mark back yet? A-level stats seems like it is a bit too focused on hypothesis testing...much more so than it should be, even in S4 though there is moment generating functions(uni maths ting) !!!

We havent even started fp2 yet haha (Ive had to get through like half of it myself already)! I have to selfstudy S3/S4, M4 FP3. My class is still doing C4, I just do STEP in those lessons as I still have to attend -.-

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 15, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.