The Student Room Group

i need help at chemistry

can someone please tell me answers/method of how you would work these out? much appreciated
1. How many cm
3 of concentrated H2SO4 (19 M) are required to prepare 2½ dm3 0.05 M H2SO4?

2. 2 dm3 of 2 M copper(II)nitrate (Cu(NO3)2) solution contains:1. 4 mol dm-3 Cu2+
2. 4 mol NO3-
3. 12 mol of ions
Original post by joannacole
can someone please tell me answers/method of how you would work these out? much appreciated
1. How many cm
3 of concentrated H2SO4 (19 M) are required to prepare 2½ dm3 0.05 M H2SO4?

2. 2 dm3 of 2 M copper(II)nitrate (Cu(NO3)2) solution contains:1. 4 mol dm-3 Cu2+
2. 4 mol NO3-
3. 12 mol of ions

well... on study help, we don't just do people's questions for them. We like to help them get to the answers themselves.

All these questions are about the concept of the mole. A mole of something (a compound, an element, an ion etc) is just Avogadro's number of them.

A mole of something will have a mass (in grams) which is the same as its formula weight (or mr

So a mole of sodium atoms is 6.02 x 1023 sodium atoms and will have a mass of 23 grams.

So, have a go at the questions and we can guide you from there.
Reply 2
thanks, but sorry that makes 0 sense to me
im a beginner at all of this
thanks, but sorry that makes 0 sense to me
im a beginner at all of this

Have you not been taught about moles yet? I am presuming you have if they've given these questions.

I'll give you an example.

A solution of 1M sodium chloride solution contains 1 mole of sodium chloride per dm3. We say it is a "1 molar solution" other ways of saying this are 1M (note the capital M), or 1 mol dm-3. They all mean the same thing.

SInce sodium chloride consists of Na+ ions and Cl- ions, a 1 molar solution will contain

1 mole of Na+ ions per dm3
and
1 mole of Cl- ions per dm3

so in total, it contains
2 moles of ions per dm3

with me so far?
Reply 4
ok, I'm with you now
thank you for your patience
ok, I'm with you now
thank you for your patience

ok, so now let's look at your second question (as it's the easier one).

2 dm3 of 2 M copper(II)nitrate (Cu(NO3)2) solution contains

So we have 2M copper nitrate solution. That must contain 2 moles of copper nitrate per dm3. But we have 2 dm3, so how many moles of copper nitrate must we have?
Reply 6
4?
4?

good.

Now, we know that each copper nitrate contains 2 nitrate ions (you can see that from its formula), so that must mean we would have 8 moles of NO3- ions.

So the answer can't be number 2
Reply 8
so, is it 1, 4 mol dm3 cu2+
so, is it 1, 4 mol dm3 cu2+

no. If you read it carefully, it says 4 mol dm-3 Cu2+ (not 4 mol Cu2+)

We already know it's 2 mol dm-3 copper nitrate (because it's a 2M solution). Each copper nitrate contains only 1 Cu2+, so it must also be 2 mol dm-3 Cu2+

So you have the answer by elimination. See if you can work out why it's the correct answer
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
ahh ok! you've made it very clear now, thank you! I have a chemistry module at university, and my lecturer assumes everyone did chemistry at A level, but i didn't so it's hard to understand. But thank you for all of your help :smile:
ahh ok! you've made it very clear now, thank you! I have a chemistry module at university, and my lecturer assumes everyone did chemistry at A level, but i didn't so it's hard to understand. But thank you for all of your help :smile:

you're welcome!

We chemists have our own language :smile:

Post again if you need any more help.

Quick Reply

Latest