The Student Room Group

Advice on 5th choice university

I'm applying for biochemistry/medicinal chemistry and i've already chosen 4 universities but I'm still unsure on the 5th choice
Which of these universities would you recommend in terms of social life, and the city in general (they're all good academically)
Uni of Bath, Kent, and Surrey.
cheers :smile:
What are your subjects and predicted grades?
Reply 2
Good question... I used to work in Guildford... It's a nice town fairly decent night life too
I went to Kent once to visit all I remember is Canterbury is actually similar to Guildford in size but could be wrong? Don't know too much about it
Bath is also a nice town and a little bigger and probably where I would go out of all those 3 particularly for social aspect
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
What are your subjects and predicted grades?

I'm doing chem, bio and geography and i'm predicted AA for chem and geog and an A or B for biology, do you think bath's entry requirements will be too high for my 5th choice? My other choices are Bristol (AAA), Exeter (AAB), KCL (AAB) and Cardiff (ABB)
Reply 4
Original post by CUfan
Good question... I used to work in Guildford... It's a nice town fairly decent night life too
I went to Kent once to visit all I remember is Canterbury is actually similar to Guildford in size but could be wrong? Don't know too much about it
Bath is also a nice town and a little bigger and probably where I would go out of all those 3 particularly for social aspect

thanks for the info man :smile:
Original post by jermainegolley
I'm doing chem, bio and geography and i'm predicted AA for chem and geog and an A or B for biology, do you think bath's entry requirements will be too high for my 5th choice? My other choices are Bristol (AAA), Exeter (AAB), KCL (AAB) and Cardiff (ABB)

Biomed is a very popular course and so if you dont get an AAA prediction, and/or dont feel very confident at getting those grades then dont apply for Bristol or Bath. They are popular places for Medicine rejects with high grades so wont be 'kind' to anyone predicted/getting lower than that.

You just need to spread your choices so that you give yourself the best chances of having a good number of offers to choose realistic Firm & Insurance from. One of the most common mistakes is to aim too high, get three rejects and so have only two offers at your predicted grades - impossible for making a sensible Firm and Insurance choices.
Reply 6
Biomed is a very popular course and so if you dont get an AAA prediction, and/or dont feel very confident at getting those grades then dont apply for Bristol or Bath. They are popular places for Medicine rejects with high grades so wont be 'kind' to anyone predicted/getting lower than that.

You just need to spread your choices so that you give yourself the best chances of having a good number of offers to choose realistic Firm & Insurance from. One of the most common mistakes is to aim too high, get three rejects and so have only two offers at your predicted grades - impossible for making a sensible Firm and Insurance choices.

alright, so you reckon i should drop bath completely and go for a ABB-BBB uni?
[I'd assumed Bath wanted AAA - surprised its only AAB]

AAB prediction - Drop Bristol. Bath (AAB), Exeter (AAB), KCL (AAB) and Cardiff (ABB)' plus another ABB choice (Kent) or even a BBB (make sure is still a Uni you'd go to).

AAA prediction - Bristol (AAA), Bath (AAB), Exeter (AAB), KCL (AAB) and Cardiff or Kent (ABB)
Reply 8
[I'd assumed Bath wanted AAA - surprised its only AAB]

AAB prediction - Drop Bristol. Bath (AAB), Exeter (AAB), KCL (AAB) and Cardiff (ABB)' plus another ABB choice (Kent) or even a BBB (make sure is still a Uni you'd go to).

AAA prediction - Bristol (AAA), Bath (AAB), Exeter (AAB), KCL (AAB) and Cardiff or Kent (ABB)

yeah that makes sense, thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jermainegolley
yeah that makes sense, thanks for the reply :smile:

To be honest.. It's fine to apply for a uni that want higher grades than your predicted providing that it's sensible. If your predicted AAB, it makes sense to apply for 1 AAA, 3 AAB and 1 ABB

Quick Reply

Latest