The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Noticed that there's no thread for UCL yet, so figured I'd go ahead and create one for new applicants to congregate :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hello, i'm thinking about applying for the social cognition msc. would be nice to talk to anyone who's interested in it too!
Reply 2
Original post by wizardry
Noticed that there's no thread for UCL yet, so figured I'd go ahead and create one for new applicants to congregate :smile:

What are you applying for at UCL? Regarding the personal statement, is there a word limit? I'm looking through the application guide thats on the site, and see it says 3000 characters is the max length permitted in the box, but if it is longer to attach a doc, but no word on what the limit is?
hi! I'm probably going to be applying to UCL for the MA in Museum Studies :smile:
Hi guys!

I've applied to the computing science department at UCL, which is my first choice. I hope that I will be given an offer. Really looking forward to undertaking an MSc at UCL. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by wizardry

kudos to you
Reply 6
Original post by NesQuiK.
What are you applying for at UCL? Regarding the personal statement, is there a word limit? I'm looking through the application guide thats on the site, and see it says 3000 characters is the max length permitted in the box, but if it is longer to attach a doc, but no word on what the limit is?

Im also wondering about this.

Unfortunately, i havent been able to find an answer, I think i might email the admissions and ask.

At the moment, I have about 890 words, which is around 1.5 pages, single spaced.

I have read somewhere on the UCL site that the statements should not exceed a page, but I saw that in a FAQ for a specific department, so Im not sure it applies to all. Furthermore, I believe I have even read people saying they were accepted with a statement over 900 words, so I'm guessing there is no limit?

Would appreciate any input on this.
Original post by PZamp
Im also wondering about this.

Unfortunately, i havent been able to find an answer, I think i might email the admissions and ask.

At the moment, I have about 890 words, which is around 1.5 pages, single spaced.

I have read somewhere on the UCL site that the statements should not exceed a page, but I saw that in a FAQ for a specific department, so Im not sure it applies to all. Furthermore, I believe I have even read people saying they were accepted with a statement over 900 words, so I'm guessing there is no limit?

Would appreciate any input on this.

I think it said 3000 or 3500 on my application form. Not sure though as I have applied to different places. 3000 to 3500 is a A4 page. That is more than enough for a taught MSc.

Edit: I talking about characters, of course. :smile: 3000 to 3500 characters sum to about 500 words.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by NoCommentMan
I think it said 3000 or 3500 on my application form. Not sure though as I have applied to different places. 3000 to 3500 is a A4 page. That is more than enough for a taught MSc.

Edit: I talking about characters, of course. :smile: 3000 to 3500 characters sum to about 500 words.

Ya on the app form it allows up to 3000 characters, however it says you have the option to attach a word document if you need more than that.

At the moment im on 5800 characters/890 words. Cant quite see how I can reduce that without answering the 5 components they are looking for in the essay.

Im definitely going to look into this more though.
Reply 9
guys, I have just applied for a PhD programme (organic chemistry) at UCL and I was wondering how long can they take to give me an answer.. many thanks :wink:
Applied to MSc Research Methods in Psychology about a week ago. Fingers crossed! No idea when I might get a reply
Original post by lozzyhickers
Applied to MSc Research Methods in Psychology about a week ago. Fingers crossed! No idea when I might get a reply

The "Application Status" should show a statement similar to this one: You should receive a response approximately six weeks after the application became complete.
Hi NoCommentMan,

Did you apply to UCL Msc in Machine Learning program? Did you get any offer from any other program?
Original post by Khushboo786
Hi NoCommentMan,

Did you apply to UCL Msc in Machine Learning program? Did you get any offer from any other program?

I have applied for CSML MSc. I have got an offer from Edinburgh University but UCL is my first choice though.
Original post by NoCommentMan
I have applied for CSML MSc. I have got an offer from Edinburgh University but UCL is my first choice though.

How much time did Edinburgh take to role out the offer?
Original post by Khushboo786
How much time did Edinburgh take to role out the offer?

2 weeks. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Offer from UCL today for MSc Econ! :biggrin:
Applied to MSc Global Health and Development! Already have an offer from Edinburgh for MSc Global Health and Public Policy, but am hoping for an offer from UCL :smile:

Anyone else applying to this programme?
Reply 18
I have applied for Msc organisational psychology ! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by PZamp
Ya on the app form it allows up to 3000 characters, however it says you have the option to attach a word document if you need more than that.

At the moment im on 5800 characters/890 words. Cant quite see how I can reduce that without answering the 5 components they are looking for in the essay.

Im definitely going to look into this more though.

Ended up attaching a document, as mine was over 3000 characters as well.

Quick Reply

Latest