The Student Room Group

Do you agree/disagree with the death penalty

for strong crimes like rape, murder, paedophilia etc...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, it's barbaric and the government should not have the right to kill its own citizens.
Original post by james22
No, it's barbaric and the government should not have the right to kill its own citizens.

fair point but what about the family of the victim do you think they should have a choice? E,g, whether they want a death penalty or not. Surely they have a right?
Paedophilia isn't a crime.

On-topic: Disagree (to an extent).
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree with it for very, very extreme cases. Like that story awhile ago, about some guy who had a torture chamber set up ready for child victims :frown: People like that really make feel sick to my stomach. They don't deserve to live on the same earth as other humans.
Reply 5
Original post by ineedtorevise127
fair point but what about the family of the victim do you think they should have a choice? E,g, whether they want a death penalty or not. Surely they have a right?

What about the family of the person who is about to lose their life through the death penalty?
Reply 6
For some cases I believe it is necessary. I.e when the offender will never be safe to society no matter how much rehabilitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am supportive of the death penalty in the case of serious crime because if they're dead they're not a burden to society eating up taxpayer money doing nothing etc. etc. EXCEPT sometimes death is too easy a punishment for some crimes, and the people that committed them should be locked up for life to suffer instead.

Having said that, I do recognise the fact that sometimes innocent people are convicted (horrible, I know) so I would only implement the death penalty in cases where the person is without a doubt guilty, and even so after a period of time. I'd also take into consideration if that person has children, sick parents or some other reason why their being alive in prison is necessary/beneficial.

I'm also supportive of a painless method of carrying out the death sentence (which doesn't seem to exist yet), so I think I'd bring back the death sentence when it's possible to do that, but not right now.
No, I don't think death penalty is justified because if we humans cannot make life we have no right to take it away. And by make life I do not mean by conception.
Reply 9
I agree for very extreme cases.

There is some people that are just to dangerous to be allowed to live. For example, Bin Laden would of carried on preaching, commanding and controlling Islamic extremism had he been allowed to live.

There is just some cases where you know that they will 100% not reoffend.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ineedtorevise127

No they don't. I don't think the families wishes should be taken into account at all during sentencing.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
What about the family of the person who is about to lose their life through the death penalty?

What about them?

Public security comes first.
Reply 12
if a man kills hundred of people he should either receive a permanent prison or death penalty.As to rapers, I think they should be castrated but not killed
So to enforce how barbaric a crime murder is the state will also murder. How does this make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Ripper-Roo

what about the family of people that person killed?
Reply 15
Original post by Sammy Lanka
So to enforce how barbaric a crime murder is the state will also murder. How does this make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah so lets relase the killer after 25 yrs so he can kill again. How does this make sense?
Original post by Sammy Lanka

Posted from TSR Mobile

The state would not be murdering though. The state would be lawfully putting somebody to death, since state executions would be legalised. That is not murder, check your definitions.
Reply 17
Well mainly yes, but I always wonder what if the accused didn't do it? And he pleaded not guilty, but yet still get blamed
Reply 18
Original post by 3razy
Well mainly yes, but I always wonder what if the accused didn't do it? And he pleaded not guilty, but yet still get blamed

we talk about extreme cases were usually it is obvious who killed. Take people like Andres breivik, shouldn't he be put to death? I heard he is writing Mein Kampf so I dont think its save for the government to rise a new Hitler
Reply 19
I only agree with in in cases of mass murder. I cannot support sentencing someone to death for rape or theft for example. I unless it was extremely brutal

Quick Reply