Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My exam board is AQA, and my teacher said next double lesson (tomorrow) we will be dissecting hearts. I'm extremely squeamish and terrified, in GCSE our teacher once dissected an ox's heart but it was perfectly acceptable for anyone who was uncomfortable to leave the room and only the teacher dissected it.

If it is compulsory, I'm tempted to skip the lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian01x)
    My exam board is AQA, and my teacher said next double lesson (tomorrow) we will be dissecting hearts. I'm extremely squeamish and terrified, in GCSE our teacher once dissected an ox's heart but it was perfectly acceptable for anyone who was uncomfortable to leave the room and only the teacher dissected it.

If it is compulsory, I'm tempted to skip the lesson.
    Back when I did it in college, the squeamish were allowed to leave. I guess it depends on your teacher. It would be good to ask beforehand - just so you can "feel ill/have a doctor's appointment" at that time if it's compulsory

But yeh, I don't see why you would be forced into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You probably don't "have" to do it unless it's part of a coursework or something. Be warned though, you will get many "why did you pick biology if you're squeamish?" questions because doing practicals often helps you remember things better.

ReputationRep:
    You need to accept biology and look at these things as instruments of your education. I'm a vegetarian and I try to not even step on ants. There is nothing wrong with dissecting and working with animal organs for education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dissection is a big part of 'practical' biology in schools, they aren't compulsory, but you are missing out if you don't do them :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I dissected a heart way back in Year 8, it's really not that bad. Face your fears!

Usually though no you won't be required to, an exception might be if it's coursework then you may have to do the dissection.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.