Turn on thread page Beta

CGP Revision Guides for AS Physics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to my friend in AS Physics today, and he told me that he bought a textbook for AS Physics, despite the fact that the college have lent us CGP AS Physics Revision Guides for OCR A.

I asked him why, and he said that the CGP ones were 'a bit basic.'

So, does anyone have experience with CGP revision guides for OCR A AS Physics - should I get a textbook that goes into more detail, or do you think I should stick with the less-detailed but concise CGP books?

I'm aiming for an A grade in physics, so if my revision sources are lacking in sufficient detail for this grade then I would consider getting a textbook instead.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I used the CGP book last year and it did me fine. Well I say used it, I didn't actually use it that much, I just did all the past papers.

Got an A, with full UMS in one of the papers and 80 something in the other because I messed up. I think concise is the correct word, not basic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Republic1)
    I used the CGP book last year and it did me fine. Well I say used it, I didn't actually use it that much, I just did all the past papers.

Got an A, with full UMS in one of the papers and 80 something in the other because I messed up. I think concise is the correct word, not basic.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking

ReputationRep:
    I used the AQA AS physics one last year and it was pretty good, it didn't cover 100% of information so you had to use it in conjunction with other notes however the CGP guide covers all the basics and is pretty good for quick reference.

The most important think to do however is PAST PAPERS, do EVERY past paper you can get your hands on, thats what I did and it got me 112/120 and 116/120 in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    I've though a little more about this. Do the CGP guides contain ALL the theory content? I have plenty of access to worksheets and past papers for practice with calculations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossK)
    I've though a little more about this. Do the CGP guides contain ALL the theory content? I have plenty of access to worksheets and past papers for practice with calculations.
    I'm 99% sure they do, because they are advertised as revision books for that particular exam board. If I remember rightly it had a little extra which you didn't need to know on one topic, something to do with the waves topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossK)
    In my experience they contain pretty much all content however it is all in condensed form, and thus if you just learn the words of the CGP guide that won't be all, however if you use the Guide as just that, a guide then its brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Republic1)
    I'm 99% sure they do, because they are advertised as revision books for that particular exam board. If I remember rightly it had a little extra which you didn't need to know on one topic, something to do with the waves topic.
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    In my experience they contain pretty much all content however it is all in condensed form, and thus if you just learn the words of the CGP guide that won't be all, however if you use the Guide as just that, a guide then its brilliant.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.