Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I split up with my boyfriend of 5 years a year ago. We went to separate universities in different countries & it simply got too hard to maintain. We were hopelessly in love before we went. It ultimately ended badly because we couldn't afford to meet up as much as we would like and took it out on each other.

It's a year today it ended, we've had no contact & all I know is he's living his dream gap year which I found out from a mutual friend. I have managed to get a very successful job back in our hometown and I'm happy in career terms but still can't get over him & how it ended.

Has anyone else been through something similar or can offer any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I went through something extremely similar; Girlfriend of 2.5 years and broke up soon after moving back. When someone was such an integral part of your life, forgetting them will be impossible. You cannot cut them out, but cherish the time you had together. Just think, if you lamented every instance of happiness and novel experience in the past; you would be in a perpetual state of unreality. The key is to surround yourself with friends, people with similar interests and personalities that is. Make sure they are warm and understanding, and always be open to make more. Also focus on your studies/job to further your life. As you make new memories with people and in life, it will dilute the feelings you have until they are bearable. just hang in there.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'd imagine when you've been with someone for 5 years, loved them, been in such close contact with them...well to go to a year of 0 contact where you only hear about him via a mutual friend is always gonna hurt. I guess it's just a cliche but it will get better in time. The above poster makes an excellent point about surrounding yourself with others who love and care for you. Also, keeping yourself busy will always help too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.