The Student Room Group

What's the difference between ucas codes, of the same subject?

Just about to send out my application for university but I've noticed that the ucas codes for the same subjects are often different.

Biomedical science at:
Southampton = B940
Sheffield = B900
Bath = 55TG
Warwick = B900
Queen Marys = B990

I was just interested to know the difference (if there is any)?
(edited 10 years ago)
In and of itself, nothing.

However, you should ensure that you have checked out what modules are on offer, in detail - this can vary wildly and can mean the difference between a course you love and a course you hate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ok, thank you for the advice :biggrin:
Original post by CRW1996
Just about to send out my application for university but I've noticed that the ucas codes for the same subjects are often different.

Biomedical science at:
Southampton = B940
Sheffield = B900
Bath = 55TG
Warwick = B900
Queen Marys = B990

I was just interested to know the difference (if there is any)?

Long, long ago course codes were related to the subject. Hence you will see a proliferation of courses in a familiar series e.g B9xx. Any course with a USP gets a new code and these are now simply handed out randomly.

Sometimes you will see a course is something like B901. That is usually because there was an overlap period when a new course was introduced. The old course might need to be on the books for another year. Durham's LLB is coded M101 but many years ago Durham's law degree was a BA. That would have been coded M100. There was no difference between the courses but the degree awarded changed and when it changed there would be some students who had deferred for a year still in the UCAS system. This two codes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending