Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have always wanted to do medicine, but when I received my GCSE results they weren't too good 3 Bs, 6 Cs and 2 Ds. But I never tried at all in school, Id didn't even listen, which completely regret! Because of these poor grades, my options were quite limited at college.

I intended to do Biology, Chemistry, French and Psychology. But instead I chose Biology, Law, Psychology and Sociology because my grades and GCSE point score weren't good enough. But I have really tried hard so far and I am determined to get As, so far in all essays and mocks I have got A*AAA, and I am only predicted Ds so my predicted grades have been moved up to Bs and As. I have been trying so hard I literally revise all day, everyday and I don't even have a social life because I am EXTREMELY determined to achieve As in both AS and A2.

Obviously GCSE grades and my A-Level choices aren't good enough for Medicine, so I thought about alternative routes into medicine. So I thought about Biomedical science, there is a university near me which offers this degree to students who do not have chemistry A-Level and the grade requirements is 300 UCAS points which I think is like BBC or something.

If i did this and applied to both Graduate Entry Medicine and normal entry Medicine, do you think i may stand a chance of becoming a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's entirely possible to get into medicine via the route you describe, and if you get good grades AS you may also be eligible for a 6yr foundation course. You should read the medicine FAQ and wiki for info on your options. One thing to check is your GCSE grades in maths, english and science - you may want to think about resitting some of them at some point before you apply for a medicine course. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well what you're saying you want to do seems pretty reasonable. If you get three As at A-level than it might be worth applying on a gap year. But I think a lot of places wouldn't accept your GCSEs (although some places do just ask for B in English or dont take too much notice- look at the GCSE requirements document on the medicine WIKI).

However, if you don't get three As your best bet is to apply as a graduate, you could enter a course with the possibility of transferring to medicine in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    BBB is 300 points

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congrats on your progress so far, you really seemed to have pulled your socks up, keep at it!

As for your question, I'd advice anyone who wishes to do medicine but is thinking of going down the Biomed + GEM route to explore all their options including the possibility of moving abroad. The last thing you want is to be 21 years old and £27,000+ in debt with a degree you didn't even want.

If you heart is really set on doing medicine, I'd say just go for it, if you get the grades at A-Level, have a solid personal statement, varied work experience, decent UKCAT and/or BMAT scores and an excellent reference which can explain why you may have not performed as well as you could have in GCSE, you have a good chance of getting in

And if you're not successful the first time (like most candidates) you could try again the following year or you could go down the Biomed route the same year should you wish as there will no doubt be places available in clearing/adjustment and of course you could apply abroad at the same time.

Best of luck with your A-levels, I hope it all works out for you in the end

ReputationRep:
    hi op, i was in the same situation as you. now i am doing my first year of biomed i'd say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate the feedback and advice!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was in a similar situation too, I am now 24 and about to qualify as a paramedic however I am now looking at doing a year long access course at the College of West Anglia in Norfolk next September and then apply to start medicine in 2015. If you pass the access course I don't believe your A-levels count for much and you often get the option of retaking GCSE's during the access course. Therefore maybe look at gaining 3 or 4 years work experience post A-Levels (Care home, HCA), earn some money and don't get in any debt...then apply for an access course instead of the degree you're not actually that bothered about.

Or, if you do like the university option, study Nursing...often there is a lot of funding available, it will be very relavent for when you apply for post grad medicine and you are also likely to leave university with a guaranteed nursing job that pays good money!

However...my advice would be to smash your A-Levels...it's amazing what is possible if you put your mind to something. If you get the A's you need plus gain work experience as a carer etc then your GCSE's won't be too much of an issue...at the very worst you can retake a few...and becasue you're more focused now I would imagine you would get A*'s in your GCSE retakes.

Good luck and believe in yourself!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.