The Student Room Group

18 nearly 19, LOTS of white hair...

I was just wondering, if anyone else is in the same position as me. The last 2 years have seen me get more and more white hair, and to make things worse my hair is jet black. Though it isn't obvious at first when look at my hair, if you take a closer look you'll see some of my white strands, I probably have in excess of 50 white hairs. Last year I probably had about 20, the year before probably about ten, now it's becoming more and more worse. I actually started greying when I was only 14 years old, I spotted my first, now I'm 18 it's getting very bad. I don't actually look that old face-wise, I can pass as a 15 year old for some people but I feel in the next couple I will start to look a lot older than I do now. Any way I can prevent this and reduce the speed, and is there anyone else in the same position? Also how do you think girls would react if they found out?

Scroll to see replies

nice-and-easy-black.jpg

That should do the trick
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by suzylemonade
nice-and-easy-black.jpg

That should do the trick

nah, I'm looking for something natural. Dying my whole head just to cover the grey ones seems a bit of a waste. At the moment it's at now, I wouldn't consider dying unless it got a lot worse.
Reply 3
Huh, that's pretty strange. :frown: I've had some white hair since I was around 5 but its only a bit and hasn't spread. Have you tried dyeing it if it bothers you too much, as the other poster suggested?

EDIT: Oops, just saw the post above. Not sure if there is a natural way, but then I don't know that much about hair treatment. Sorry. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sazh
nah, I'm looking for something natural. Dying my whole head just to cover the grey ones seems a bit of a waste. At the moment it's at now, I wouldn't consider dying unless it got a lot worse.

There really isn't anything else you could do, I don't think.
Once the grey hair start coming, they don't stop coming
This may sound silly but have you ever considered dying your hair white?

Also, if you are severely stressed, that could cause premature aging, hair whitening etc...
Other than that, as far as I am aware, genetics plays a very major role in it and is the only other factor, perhaps ask your parents when they started going grey.

My aunt started going grey at around 16, my mum is in her mid 40s and has only just started going gray, dad is 50 and is about half grey. =l
Reply 6
my brother has vitiligo which is a melanin deficiency and a small affected on the back of his head has left a white patch of hair. He uses some natural hair die on the affected area only. It targets the grey hairs and binds to them somehow :dontknow:
I wouldn't care, just since no one's answered that bit yet. Wouldn't bother me.

I would just dye it.
I know a guy who started going grey at around 14. Only found out when he decided he couldn't be bothered to dye it any more. I don't know how much he looked into the issue, but I'm presuming he never found a good answer since he just leaves it grey now. But to be honest it actually looks quite good on him - I guess it suits some people. If you're that worried then I'd say just dye it, otherwise just leave it as it is and if people are silly enough to judge you for it then that's their problem. Plus it might stop you getting IDed when you want to buy alcohol and stuff... :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Scienceisgood
This may sound silly but have you ever considered dying your hair white?

Also, if you are severely stressed, that could cause premature aging, hair whitening etc...
Other than that, as far as I am aware, genetics plays a very major role in it and is the only other factor, perhaps ask your parents when they started going grey.

My aunt started going grey at around 16, my mum is in her mid 40s and has only just started going gray, dad is 50 and is about half grey. =l

I wouldn't dye my hair white, I don't think it would suit me, I tend to have a young-looking face, it would look odd I think. My parents started greying at around 40-ish. My brother and sisters are fine, all of them older than me. Also, I don't think it's stress, even if it was it wouldn't have been continued into now.
Reply 10
Stress must be killing ya.
Reply 11
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I know a guy who started going grey at around 14. Only found out when he decided he couldn't be bothered to dye it any more. I don't know how much he looked into the issue, but I'm presuming he never found a good answer since he just leaves it grey now. But to be honest it actually looks quite good on him - I guess it suits some people. If you're that worried then I'd say just dye it, otherwise just leave it as it is and if people are silly enough to judge you for it then that's their problem. Plus it might stop you getting IDed when you want to buy alcohol and stuff... :rolleyes:

How old is this guy now? Since he started greying around the same time I did, I may have the same as him at his age as well.
Original post by Sazh
How old is this guy now? Since he started greying around the same time I did, I may have the same as him at his age as well.

He's 19. As I say, pretty much grey all over now.
Reply 13
Original post by Theflyingbarney
He's 19. As I say, pretty much grey all over now.

Nope, I'll be 19 in 2 months, I guess I can count myself quite lucky, considering he also started at around 14.
I don’t know much about the greying bit, but if you want a natural solution may I suggest henna hair dye? My mum uses that as she has a few greys and doesnt want to coat her head in chemicals and it actually leaves her hair feeling in a better condition. LUSH have a really good range, ans you could probably use it on just the affected areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a closer look, maybe its dandruff.
Reply 16
Do your parents or siblings have this same problem? As someone said here it's probably genetic and looking at your parents should probably let you know how worried you should be. If they have some grey hair but fairly little then I wouldn't be too worried.
If you eat stuff that's good for hair, like seaweed and black sesame and stuff it may help in the long term, but for now dying it may be the only solution...
I'm 20 and I have quite a few grey hairs on the upper right hand side of my head, I'd say about 20 strands. It's hardly ever visible though as my hair is really long and usually covers it. Also I frequently dye my hair too. I don't see any issues with you dyeing your hair, I'm a girl and it wouldn't really bother me if I found out, tbh the fact I have grey hairs doesn't really bother me, I'm much more concerned with getting wrinkles..I feel like grey hairs are something quite trivial and there's so many other things I worry about before worrying about grey hairs.
Reply 19
White hair at this age is pretty weird. :K:

Quick Reply

Latest