The Student Room Group

Do universities take applications outside of UCAS?

Hi,

I've already applied via UCAS, I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do at the time of applying but I'm already taking an unwanted gap year through not being prepared and again, not being sure of what I wanted to do.

I've applied for computing courses as this is what I studied at college; it was alright but I just don't see myself with a career in computing.

I don't have a math GCSE; however I'm resitting in 22 days-ish and hoping I'll get atleast a C!

Anyway, because I don't have the maths grade I began looking at other courses a while ago and journalism is something which really appeals to me. I enjoy writing and after looking at potential jobs, editing and analyzing sounds interesting (more what I'd like to do career wise) but also various other jobs such as writing for magazines and broadcasting for radios etc sound equally as good.

The courses sound varied and very social, but also give you fairly good work placements and experience (if you're lucky enough to find one?).

(Anyone who's studying this type of course, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I have contacted Coventry to ask if they'll amend my choice of course for me. However the courses at Southampton Solent sound quite good - so I was wondering has anyone ever applied for a course not through UCAS or would I need to wait until clearing?

Regardless of all the above, i'm going to try my best to get the GCSE by summer, but I do feel that I'd be much more interested in studying journalism rather than computing.

Any advice is appreciated :smile:.
Original post by AFE94
Hi,

I've already applied via UCAS, I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do at the time of applying but I'm already taking an unwanted gap year through not being prepared and again, not being sure of what I wanted to do.

I've applied for computing courses as this is what I studied at college; it was alright but I just don't see myself with a career in computing.

I don't have a math GCSE; however I'm resitting in 22 days-ish and hoping I'll get atleast a C!

Anyway, because I don't have the maths grade I began looking at other courses a while ago and journalism is something which really appeals to me. I enjoy writing and after looking at potential jobs, editing and analyzing sounds interesting (more what I'd like to do career wise) but also various other jobs such as writing for magazines and broadcasting for radios etc sound equally as good.

The courses sound varied and very social, but also give you fairly good work placements and experience (if you're lucky enough to find one?).

(Anyone who's studying this type of course, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I have contacted Coventry to ask if they'll amend my choice of course for me. However the courses at Southampton Solent sound quite good - so I was wondering has anyone ever applied for a course not through UCAS or would I need to wait until clearing?

Regardless of all the above, i'm going to try my best to get the GCSE by summer, but I do feel that I'd be much more interested in studying journalism rather than computing.

Any advice is appreciated :smile:.

With only one or two exceptions (e.g. applying to music conservatoires and a (very) few unis who give offers outside of UCAS to students from their outreach schemes - and if you were eligible for such an external offer you would have probably been informed by now anyway) you can only apply through UCAS.
I would suggest talking to a few of the unis and seeing if they would consider you for a different course - however you will only be able to arrange a change of course with unis you have already applied to (unless you haven't used up all your 5 choices on your UCAS form) and there is definitely no guarantee they will accept you, particularly since your personal statement is probably all about computing.
However, as you mentioned, there is still the option of clearing. Obviously there is no guarantee that your chosen course will be in it, but do loads of research beforehand to make a list of the courses you are interested in, then if they do appear in clearing you can phone them up and get it sorted straight away after results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending