The Student Room Group

Applying for IR

Hey, I need some help. Basically, my grades this summer were a lot lower than expected. So all the uni's I had considered were out of the window. I've worked out 4 uni's that I would like to go to, but my school has told me my application must be sent to them by tomorrow night, no matter what, or they won't guarantee to send it by January. I have 36 hours to decide on a 5th Uni. Can anyone give me names of relatively well respected uni's with the offer of 300/BBB or lower. Other than Aberystwyth, Loughborough, Southampton and Swansea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
Hey, I need some help. Basically, my grades this summer were a lot lower than expected. So all the uni's I had considered were out of the window. I've worked out 4 uni's that I would like to go to, but my school has told me my application must be sent to them by tomorrow night, no matter what, or they won't guarantee to send it by January. I have 36 hours to decide on a 5th Uni. Can anyone give me names of relatively well respected uni's with the offer of 300/BBB or lower. Other than Aberystwyth, Loughborough, Southampton and Swansea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aberdeen and Dundee both offer Politics and IR at BBB. Since they are Scottish universities you have the advantage of studying subjects other than politics and IR in the first 2 of your 4 years there - so you could learn a language, or study history, or economics, or philosophy etc. And this aspect of the Scottish system also allows you to change your degree within the first 2 years if you discover that IR isn't really for you and you prefer one of your other subjects. Having been to university in Scotland I would highly recommend a Scottish uni :smile:

Or, if ABB might be possible for you to achieve you could consider Birmingham or UEA.
Reply 2
Hi

I'm predicted similar grades to you and I'm applying to Aber, Stirling, Keele, Essex, and have yet to decide on a 5th!

Essex looks like it accepts slightly lower grades if you combine politics aith something else. I'm thinking of applying for Modern history & politics/Int Relations cos it offers ABB/BBB, rather than AAB.

Keel has a pretty good reputation for politics, but you have to like the campus - the 'Keele bubble' effect.

Stirling asks for BBC and I really liked the campus when I visited.

As you know Aber looks good for Interpol.

Have to say your school is pretty harsh on the deadline -Good luck!
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't rush into making a decision. You can add choices after you've sent your application often if you haven't applied to 5 initially.

Oxford Brookes and Nottingham Trent might be worth a look- both respected ex polys
I ended up putting Bradford down, as I like the modules they offer. And I was swayed by the student accommodation. :smile: Thanks for your help everyone. I did look at Keele, but I thought it was too far from things really - I'm a city kid truthfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I ended up putting Bradford down, as I like the modules they offer. And I was swayed by the student accommodation. :smile: Thanks for your help everyone. I did look at Keele, but I thought it was too far from things really - I'm a city kid truthfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's interesting then because Loughborough isn't in a city either, did you really like the university?
Original post by jelly1000
That's interesting then because Loughborough isn't in a city either, did you really like the university?

I compromised because it was so close to Nottingham. Aberystwyth was because I love the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I compromised because it was so close to Nottingham. Aberystwyth was because I love the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending