The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by incipientT
Do you mean if the system reverts? I don't know that it would make much difference, there's still a maximum number of posts that can be reped per day and a time limit between reping a user.

Any 'fearless' posts made now could be negged a lot.
Reply 61
Original post by CJ
Someone floated the idea about getting rid of rep a couple of years ago, and back then I didn't think it was a good idea.
Since then, having worked closer with all kinds of people (long time TSR members all the way to people who first find the site) you pick up on the sheer scale of people that are intimidated by being shot down, and rep is one of the easiest way to do that.

TSR is all about people posting and interacting, and the more of the barriers we can break down the better. Last week I saw a thread in tech, where the OP had started an open discussion and was being + / - repped in equal measure, just because of the topic. I mean c'mon... he then even edited the opening post to try and stop the flood of negs. Ask that member if he's likely to start a similar discussion again. Probably not.

This all said, it'll be good to see the findings once it's bedded in and dust has settled. I'm looking forward to some decent results! :smile:

:rofl3:

Intimidated are you serious...
Reply 62
Original post by minimarshmallow
But the person would have red gems, it won't be hard to get rid of your red gems if you want to troll without immediately being suspected.

Just because someone has red gems in their postbit does not mean that the post is invalid. Similarly, my green gems do not mean that my post is entirely authoritative. I could post some absolute rubbish about something I know nothing about but my accumulated rep does not make that rubbish, fact, right?
Original post by keromedic
Any 'fearless' posts made now could be negged a lot.

Assuming people remember/can be bothered. Plus, in 3 months there would be a lot of posts so I'd expect it to be diluted... But I see what you mean. I wonder how much of an effect this concern will have on the way people post during the trial period? :curious:
Reply 64
Original post by yaboy

Seriously. Rep means different things to different people. Even if you disregard the value, a neg rep could be seen as an unjustified attack on your opinion, often with no right to reply, if you're not a subscriber. It can be quite demoralising from a certain point of view.
Reply 65
No more prejudiced ,trolling and vengeful negs for me anymore...phew!
Original post by Clip
I would say this is a definite backward step.

The problem is that whilst TSR is a lot of opinion and political / issue type posting; a large part of the remit is based on fact-finding and information. The rep system, whilst problematic was an automatic indicator of a particular member or post, by which a relatively uninformed member could assess a post quickly without having to read a 30 page thread.

For example, if someone were to post asking an information-seeking question - maybe if a particular area was generally safe to live in, or what a particular type of letter from a university means; if the first reply was complete nonsense or misinformation, neg rep was a very quick way of assessing this.

Similarly, some members are notorious for posting poor advice (as opposed to unpopular opinions). It will be difficult to moderate this if the advice isn't offensive or blatantly criminal. Previously, a big line of red would be a tell that people have a track record of - essentially - spouting rubbish.

This.

I can understand turning it off in debate/chat forums.

Turning it off in the advice and study help forums removes a useful function.
Original post by yaboy

Yeah. You wouldn't think it until you talk to people about it.
Who wants to join a website only to be shot down...

Guess how many people join TSR but never post. As a percentage...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by incipientT
Assuming people remember/can be bothered. Plus, in 3 months there would be a lot of posts so I'd expect it to be diluted... But I see what you mean. I wonder how much of an effect this concern will have on the way people post during the trial period? :curious:

Personally, one thing I sometimes did is if their was a thread with say 5 pages then I'd look to see if the posts on the first page had any standing out pos or neg rep and that determined whether I would read more and post. I don't have that judging factor anymore :tongue:
Are you serious? People are such pussies these days that red gems can put them off from being sincere? What kind of an idiotic society do we live in?

Of course this is just a marketing strategy and mimics Facebook and similar dislikes, neg rep, whatever you call it puts off users and while users translate into money, it is in companies' interest to have as many of those as possible. :rolleyes:
But now how will I vent my murderous rage?!
Reply 71
Original post by CJ

like 40
Reply 72
Original post by yaboy

Na fam what is this bruv? :rofl: I know I tried leaving this site for good but some of these comments are too funny. People gonna be trolling and getting pos rep it's jokes. Or do people really get distressed when someone uses neg rep to berate their opinion? This is too jokes. I guess the lack of emotional maturity for a large subset of users come into play here. I found it a funny feature. It's a balance, what's the point if you can only get highs(like a green gem is one) for what you do? It's just boring like when I win loads of matches in fifa?

Saying that, it seems like a nanny state thing to do. A couple 15 year olds complain that people don't agree with them and they make it so that people will only agree or be indifferent when they post something, such is life that people need to man/woman up and realise that people will disagree or not like what they have to say.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CJ
Someone floated the idea about getting rid of rep a couple of years ago, and back then I didn't think it was a good idea.
Since then, having worked closer with all kinds of people (long time TSR members all the way to people who first find the site) you pick up on the sheer scale of people that are intimidated by being shot down, and rep is one of the easiest way to do that.

TSR is all about people posting and interacting, and the more of the barriers we can break down the better. Last week I saw a thread in tech, where the OP had started an open discussion and was being + / - repped in equal measure, just because of the topic. I mean c'mon... he then even edited the opening post to try and stop the flood of negs. Ask that member if he's likely to start a similar discussion again. Probably not.

This all said, it'll be good to see the findings once it's bedded in and dust has settled. I'm looking forward to some decent results! :smile:

So you've addressed the symptom but not the cause.

Do you think this will reduce the amount of hate directed at people starting "controversial" threads or do you think it will just make that hate more likely to be targeted and hurtful through being posted in a message rather than just a "thumbs down". Are you and the mod team ready for the likely increase in disagreements, insults and nastiness within the threads (because if so then this *might* work - if the trolls just looking to upset people get free reign then the atmosphere on the forums is likely to just disintegrate further)?
I think this is the start of something beautiful. :daydreaming:

It could easily go either way;

People may now decide to voice some pretty nasty/hateful opinions because they know they won't receive any negative reputation for it.

Or, 'trolls' stop posting nasty/hateful opinions, because it's not worth their time without those little red gems.

We shall see...

Original post by CJ

37%
(edited 10 years ago)
Good idea, sometimes you don't know why you get negged and it's not great for discussion. For example, I made a post a few days ago about herbal slimming pills that worked for me, but not to buy online, and got negged. I don't know whether the person negged me because I was advocating the use of slimming pills, because I'd said buying them online was dangerous, because they themselves had tried the ones I recommended and they didnt work, or a combination of all three... I'll never know and it would have been better if they'd quoted me and explained their issue :smile:
Original post by PQ
So you've addressed the symptom but not the cause.

Do you think this will reduce the amount of hate directed at people starting "controversial" threads or do you think it will just make that hate more likely to be targeted and hurtful through being posted in a message rather than just a "thumbs down". Are you and the mod team ready for the likely increase in disagreements, insults and nastiness within the threads (because if so then this *might* work - if the trolls just looking to upset people get free reign then the atmosphere on the forums is likely to just disintegrate further)?

I think as Milostar mentioned (in that we're giving it some time, then taking a look at what the effect has been) it'll be a slight unknown, and if there are any negatives we're hoping they will be far outweighed by the positives.

It may be that we then find we have very area specific issues that need addressing (hopefully there won't be any!), like we had in the Health & Relationships section ages ago. Since the strike system was brought in in there, the genuine stupid/trolling threads and comments plummeted. This being an area of the site which was starting be deemed 'unmanageable'.
That's just an example where the mod team put their heads together to sort their specific issue, which wouldn't have worked across the rest of the site but did wonders for them.

We'll have to see, but personally I'm quite confident and happy to put in the hours to support the team where necessary :yy:
Reply 77
If I become a mod...
Original post by yaboy
If I become a mod...

I will eat my own man juice :yum:
Reply 79
After reading all the pros and cons, I can actually understand why it's a hard decision for the admins. Yes it sucks that you can't a start controversial thread, or even say something remotely controversial without getting a flood of negs. And I know a lot of members who got intimidated or chased out from the forum because they said something "out of line". But at the same time, if the only way you can go is up in terms of rep, why even have it. We'll all have the same rep power by the end anyway.

I think you should have a trial period and then people can vote on it. Or change the neg colour to something nice, since red has such "evil" connotations.

Latest

Trending

Trending