The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: THE TSR Chippie Chompin' Champion Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
CHIP SHOP STEAK PIE WINS!

Chip shop steak pie is an anomaly; I rarely see people eating them, yet whenever you mention them everyone gushes about how tasty the chippy seems to make them.

Seems the "posh pie" isn't just a treat for the tongue and tum - but for the memory, too. GET A POSH PIE SUPPER TODAY!
Reply 141
NEW HEAT!!

JUMBO SPRING ROLL versus PICKLED ONION!!

Oddly enough, the Jumbo Spring Roll from the chippy is actually a North-Eastern chip shop favourite more than anywhere else. Well, I guess that's no more odd than a Jumbo Spring Roll from the chippy in the first place.

The Pickled Onion, on the other hand, is a pretty much UK-wide chip shop add-on... be it the sharp and acidic clear vinegar type or the super-sweet brown-vinegar type, the pickled onion is the number two add-on to a chip shop meal in terms of sales - second only to the mushy peas.

But which of these is most likely to exit the chip shop in a delightful paper parcel with YOU?
PICKLED ONION! I don't think I've ever had a spring roll (jumbo or otherwise) from a chip shop, though I do love spring rolls and can imagine they're epic, I think I'd go to the Chinese for one. Ordering a spring roll from a chip shop feels a bit like...ordering chips from the Chinese. Defeats the object of going to a Chinese!
OH TOTO! You've made it so hard. I love both!

I'm going to have to vote for the jumbo spring roll. My local chippy is Chinese so we get them down here in Exeter too. YUM.
Pickled onion. I hate onions generally but they're pretty damn good pickled.
Pickled onion. I always get one with my fish and chips.
I've never heard of a spring roll being sold at the chippy before! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jumbo spring roll? Never get either from Chippy... But im gonna go JSP just cause it sounds appealing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jazzykinks
OH TOTO! You've made it so hard. I love both!

I'm going to have to vote for the jumbo spring roll. My local chippy is Chinese so we get them down here in Exeter too. YUM.

A Chinese chip shop in Exeter?

Where? I must find that place. I'm yet to find a good chippy in Exeter in over a year here!
Reply 148
Again I'm not going to vote, but the other day I had a chip shop meal and got my usual order sausage roll and chips. And I noticed sausage roll isn't on this list! Sausage rolls taste best from a chip shop (in fact I rarely eat them from anywhere else) except maybe from Greggs. How is deep fried pizza and spring rolls on this list but no sausage roll?! I think I need to venture far into the north and see what is happening in your chip shops!
Original post by officelinebacker
A Chinese chip shop in Exeter?

Where? I must find that place. I'm yet to find a good chippy in Exeter in over a year here!

The Gourmet on Longbrook Street :smile:
Reply 150
SPRING ROLL. It's nicer than an onion, and more satisfying,
Reply 151
i'm not a fan of either but i think a pickled onion is more of a chip shop classic, so i'll vote for that.
Reply 152
Got to be the pickled onion. One of my favorite things to accompany a fish and chip meal.
Spring roll for me, love them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
PICKLED ONION WINS!

When you're getting a big bag of fried goodness, you need to get some form of vegetable in there somewhere, right? I mean, chips contain potato, but they're hardly vegworthy - no, step up Picky Unyun, you vinegar-drenched veggie avenger, and add a crunchy treat to our bag of beige!!
Reply 155
NEW HEAT!

HAMBURGER (unbattered, on a bun) VERSUS BATTERED HAGGIS!

Since the late eighties, the "Burger Van Burger" has been a drunken staple amongst the late-night clubbing community - so much so that it was adopted by many chip shops in it's native form. Not to be confused with the Chip Shop Burger, which is a ground beef burger fried in batter (which won a previous round), this is your dirt-cheap economy freezer burger patty served up in the traditional manner - upon a roll. Somehow, the insanely cheap, economy nature of it makes it grossly delicious.

It's up against that most Scottish beast - the Chieftain o' the Puddin' Race - the Battered Haggis. Those that balk and shun the haggis are quite often the people who have never even tried it. To those that have, this is a spicy, meaty, unique peppery treat... IN BATTER!! Awesome? More like... BRAWWWW!

You can only pick one, so pick wisely - which would you be more likely to scatter on your chip shop platter?
Reply 156
Ooh battered haggis! It's sooo good, even though I always find that they're too big and I can't finish them :colondollar: I always pinch a bit from my brother when he gets one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
I don't usually have burgers at the chip shop, but my vote goes to the burger. Can't be dealing with haggis!
Reply 159
Nuguts

Quick Reply

Latest