Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Right.

This is what a nice toned body from cardio looks like

PMO8160.jpg

This is what a body from lifting weights looks like

synthol-man-300x225.jpg

See the first one looks fit and toned, whereas the second one looks OTT
Reply 42
Op is right about Cardio alone, but there is no better between the two. You shouldn't neglect either one as they are both key to having a healthy and sculpted body.
Reply 43
Original post by maskofsanity
Ah right, you're trolling.

It all makes sense now :eek:
Original post by illusionz
Did I say all exercise is sport? No didn't think so. I still think it's a very narrow view if you think the majority of people exercise for aesthetics. Most gym goers will play a form of sport as well, and they do it because they enjoy it. Heck, even most gym goers go because they enjoy it not simply to look better.

er.. health? to lose weight? to look good? don't people have different motivations for doing things?
Original post by slinghampton
How?

What do you mean 'how'?

If you want aesthetics weight lift.

If you want to be fit and have a healthy heart do cardio.

If you want both, do both.

i.e If you want to be able to run a half marathon but not look like a stick and have some strength you do both.
Right.

PMO8160.jpg

synthol-man-300x225.jpg

Mate, you're severely disillusioned, I mean to the point that it's actually unbelievable.

That first one is the result of lifting. How on earth do you get big pecs and shoulders without weight training to gain size? The second one is the result of years of steroid abuse, nobody gets like that from "normal" weightlifting and a big diet.
I used to do absolutely no weight training or anything that would give me any muscular strength, my stamina was pretty good, but that didn't really help me when I tried to cook spaghetti and my arm started violently shaking from the massive task of having to lift a pot of water. In any case being toned when you don't do any weights just highlights how little muscle you have so I'm not sure how cardio alone would make you aesthetically pleasing.
I went running yesterday and my calves have blown up; they're such an easy muscle to grow if you just do the right cardio.
It's so obvious he's trolling. SO obvious.
Right.

PMO8160.jpg

synthol-man-300x225.jpg

This is why neg repping is needed mods this guy wouldn't have made this troll thread in a million years if neg repping existed because he knows he would lose his precious green gems, now that the threat of negging is gone we're going to have loads of previously sensible posters posting rubbish like this, that first guy clearly does weights.
Obvious troll is obvious
Original post by Caedus
Yes it certainly is.

So, what exactly are you basing that on?

My personal experience is that a rowing machine, if used properly, is better than running.

When I was 16/17 I used to run a lot, and after just over a year of running seriously I entered my first half marathon, which I finished in 1 hour 42 minutes, not an amazing time but still pretty decent. (This was in 2007)

I then became a lazy slob until January of this year when I decided to get fit again, and bought myself a Concept 2 Rowing Machine and started using it almost daily. After 4 months I decided to run another half marathon, and finished in 1 hour 34 minutes, 8 minutes quicker than I had previously, and with that level of fitness achieved in under a third of the time.

Why do I think rowing is better than running?

1) It's much lower impact. After a long run I would usually not be able to do a serious run for a couple of days, but even if I push myself to the point of collapse on a rowing machine I'm able to train again the next day.
2) Because you have constant feedback on your performance it's much easier to push yourself towards a specific target, and it's very easy to track your improvement as you get hard data after every session.
3) Personally I find it much easier to maintain a high work rate for a longer time. Because you have your real time performance stats being shown to you it's immediately apparent if you start to slow and you can give yourself that extra push to keep a high work rate up.
4) You're indoors, so no matter what the weather you get to train somewhere warm and dry. I know this doesn't make a difference to your fitness, but there were always days when the weather was so foul I really struggled to motivate myself to go out for a run, but with a rowing machine the weather doesn't make any difference to that.

To me though, the most important point is number 1. The fact that I can get on the rowing machine every day to train, versus only running every other day at most, makes a huge difference.

*EDIT* As for the OP, stop being stupid.

Cardio and weight training both have positives. You can't say that one is better than the other because the desirable outcome from each is vastly different to the other, and so making a direct comparison is not possible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Why does it have to be either or ?

I lift weights and do cardio most days.
Cardio is better for aesthetics. Lifting weights more often than not just makes you look fat and bloated whereas cardio burns off all your fat for a nice toned look.

eh? you realise most people who lift weights aren't like Mr. Universe?

you're viewing things in too black and white a sense. cardio can make a person lose weight, but looked untoned.
Original post by Inzamam99
It's so obvious he's trolling. SO obvious.

I think he has a point. Cardio IS better in some cases. it's not an either or thing.
Reply 56
Original post by officelinebacker
So, what exactly are you basing that on?

My personal experience is that a rowing machine, if used properly, is better than running.

When I was 16/17 I used to run a lot, and after just over a year of running seriously I entered my first half marathon, which I finished in 1 hour 42 minutes, not an amazing time but still pretty decent. (This was in 2007)

I then became a lazy slob until January of this year when I decided to get fit again, and bought myself a Concept 2 Rowing Machine and started using it almost daily. After 4 months I decided to run another half marathon, and finished in 1 hour 34 minutes, 8 minutes quicker than I had previously, and with that level of fitness achieved in under a third of the time.

Why do I think rowing is better than running?

1) It's much lower impact. After a long run I would usually not be able to do a serious run for a couple of days, but even if I push myself to the point of collapse on a rowing machine I'm able to train again the next day.
2) Because you have constant feedback on your performance it's much easier to push yourself towards a specific target, and it's very easy to track your improvement as you get hard data after every session.
3) Personally I find it much easier to maintain a high work rate for a longer time. Because you have your real time performance stats being shown to you it's immediately apparent if you start to slow and you can give yourself that extra push to keep a high work rate up.
4) You're indoors, so no matter what the weather you get to train somewhere warm and dry. I know this doesn't make a difference to your fitness, but there were always days when the weather was so foul I really struggled to motivate myself to go out for a run, but with a rowing machine the weather doesn't make any difference to that.

To me though, the most important point is number 1. The fact that I can get on the rowing machine every day to train, versus only running every other day at most, makes a huge difference.

*EDIT* As for the OP, stop being stupid.

Cardio and weight training both have positives. You can't say that one is better than the other because the desirable outcome from each is vastly different to the other, and so making a direct comparison is not possible.

In this case I have no choice but to yield to the superior argument, I did not know rowing machines were so effective. Good post.
Original post by WoodyMKC

Mate, you're severely disillusioned, I mean to the point that it's actually unbelievable.

That first one is the result of lifting. How on earth do you get big pecs and shoulders without weight training to gain size? The second one is the result of years of steroid abuse, nobody gets like that from "normal" weightlifting and a big diet.

Pec and shoulder cardio, obviously :rolleyes:
Reply 58
Original post by 0range
I dare you, no I double dare you to even attempt a half marathon.. I mean it will be quite apparent who the pussy actually is.

Original post by AreebWithaHat
I dare you to put even a 100kg on your back, squat down and see if you come back up.

Guys, any reasonably fit person should be able to do both of these things.
Original post by 0range
I dare you, no I double dare you to even attempt a half marathon.. I mean it will be quite apparent who the pussy actually is.

Original post by AreebWithaHat
I dare you to put even a 100kg on your back, squat down and see if you come back up.

Original post by Slumpy
Guys, any reasonably fit person should be able to do both of these things.

I dare all of you to run a half marathon with a 100kg on your back.

Quick Reply

Latest