The Student Room Group

Masters in Marketing in London and the UK?

Hello everybody,

First of all let me present myself a bit. I graduated this past summer from Communication Studies at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. I graduated with a 3.7/4.3 ( I am not sure why my university used this scale), but it is still a high GPA and I believe I am right in aiming high for my graduate studies, which I am already planning to begin in September of 2014.

London is my city of choice in the UK (although I am open to other universities in the country). I have never been there, so that's why I turn to these forums for a bit of guidance and help with choosing a University :smile:. This is what I have found out so far from my research:

-King's College: It ranks on the "lower side" of the top Universities. It offers a quite interesting International Marketing program offered at the Waterloo Campus which really interests me, but I have also some concerns after stuff I have read (negative opinions on the campus/atmosphere -particularly of the Waterloo campus-, etc). Has anyone studied here? Opinions? Experiences?

-Imperial: Top university in London. I believe my grades and experience are good enough to get a spot, and they offer a Masters in Strategic Marketing which also really interests me (even though I am nervous it already incorporates too much business, disquieting for someone with a math-phobia like me..). I have also read into the structure and I see that during the Fall term 7 courses + an online course are compulsory.. is this normal for the UK? In Canada, even at top top ranked universities the maximum allowed course load is 5 per semester, and even this can get overwhelming at points!

-Neither UCL nor LSE seem to offer any Marketing programs at the Graduate level (which I find extremely odd, particularly for LSE...)

-What about other London and UK Universities? Queen Mary University and Kingston? Warwick?

I also wanted to share that when it comes to education, I believe that the whole university experience must come into play. I chose Concordia University because, even though it is doomed to be opaqued by McGill, it offered the #1 Communication Studies program in Canada. This was great to a degree, since the complete lack of campus in it's downtown urban Campus, and the long commuting distance it took me to its other Campus where my faculty was located, and sometimes even the people made me wish I had chosen McGill and enjoyed its way better campus life, worldlier student body, and obviously as well as its world class reputation (I bet most people reading this have heard of McGill but never of Concordia).... A grimey campus, run down facilities and unfriendly students could completely destroy a university experience, even when inside the classroom the education is top.

So that's it! Every commentary is much appreciated!

Cheers from Canada!
Reply 1
Original post by Mtlchuck
Hello everybody,

First of all let me present myself a bit. I graduated this past summer from Communication Studies at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. I graduated with a 3.7/4.3 ( I am not sure why my university used this scale), but it is still a high GPA and I believe I am right in aiming high for my graduate studies, which I am already planning to begin in September of 2014.

London is my city of choice in the UK (although I am open to other universities in the country). I have never been there, so that's why I turn to these forums for a bit of guidance and help with choosing a University :smile:. This is what I have found out so far from my research:

-King's College: It ranks on the "lower side" of the top Universities. It offers a quite interesting International Marketing program offered at the Waterloo Campus which really interests me, but I have also some concerns after stuff I have read (negative opinions on the campus/atmosphere -particularly of the Waterloo campus-, etc). Has anyone studied here? Opinions? Experiences?

-Imperial: Top university in London. I believe my grades and experience are good enough to get a spot, and they offer a Masters in Strategic Marketing which also really interests me (even though I am nervous it already incorporates too much business, disquieting for someone with a math-phobia like me..). I have also read into the structure and I see that during the Fall term 7 courses + an online course are compulsory.. is this normal for the UK? In Canada, even at top top ranked universities the maximum allowed course load is 5 per semester, and even this can get overwhelming at points!

-Neither UCL nor LSE seem to offer any Marketing programs at the Graduate level (which I find extremely odd, particularly for LSE...)

-What about other London and UK Universities? Queen Mary University and Kingston? Warwick?

I also wanted to share that when it comes to education, I believe that the whole university experience must come into play. I chose Concordia University because, even though it is doomed to be opaqued by McGill, it offered the #1 Communication Studies program in Canada. This was great to a degree, since the complete lack of campus in it's downtown urban Campus, and the long commuting distance it took me to its other Campus where my faculty was located, and sometimes even the people made me wish I had chosen McGill and enjoyed its way better campus life, worldlier student body, and obviously as well as its world class reputation (I bet most people reading this have heard of McGill but never of Concordia).... A grimey campus, run down facilities and unfriendly students could completely destroy a university experience, even when inside the classroom the education is top.

So that's it! Every commentary is much appreciated!

Cheers from Canada!

Im from Canada too. I applied to Westminster's MA in Marketing Communications program in central London. I received an unconditional offer. Looks like a really good program and there in a 2 month internship period.

Check it out. http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/subjects/marketing/postgraduate-courses/full-time/p09fpmkc-ma-marketing-communications
Reply 2
Hello... Which program did you started? please let me know.. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending