The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Boffinboy
Jacket and tie means a suit is sufficient. When dinner jacket etc. is required the invitations say black tie.

and dont forget your gowns! lol what day is everyones matric dinner? mines tuesday :party:
Reply 181
I'll be going on tuesday and probably near/next to you since you're a bionatsci :smile:
Btw have you had any contact with Dr Hanke? Is he still the DoS?
Reply 182
Boffinboy
I'll be going on tuesday and probably near/next to you since you're a bionatsci :smile:
Btw have you had any contact with Dr Hanke? Is he still the DoS?

no no i havnt! Have you *gets worried due to lack of contact* just checked the jesus website and it says Dr. Hanke is our DoS. Glad to hear i wont be sitting on my own lol :biggrin:
Reply 183
I wouldn't worry at all, I'm trying to get in contact for different reasons given that I'm a PhD student :smile:
Reply 184
ljlindley
no no i havnt! Have you *gets worried due to lack of contact* just checked the jesus website and it says Dr. Hanke is our DoS. Glad to hear i wont be sitting on my own lol :biggrin:

You woud struggle to sit on your own being a natsci! The second years who got a first this year will also be attending matric... the largest number of theses would be the mathmos who had 7/9 second years with a first this year!
Reply 185
JHutcher
You woud struggle to sit on your own being a natsci! The second years who got a first this year will also be attending matric... the largest number of theses would be the mathmos who had 7/9 second years with a first this year!

thats an impressive stat! why do secon years with a first attend matric?
Reply 186
ljlindley
thats an impressive stat! why do secon years with a first attend matric?

Its not just second years... third years with a first will also be there. I you get a first at Cambridge in your first or second year then you become a scholar/exhibitioner - basically you get some money from college and get to go to matric.

At some colleges they have something called a scholars ballot where you get given the opportunity for a better room if you achieve the highest grades.
Reply 187
JHutcher
Its not just second years... third years with a first will also be there. I you get a first at Cambridge in your first or second year then you become a scholar/exhibitioner - basically you get some money from college and get to go to matric.

At some colleges they have something called a scholars ballot where you get given the opportunity for a better room if you achieve the highest grades.

now that sounds like an incentive! lol. u up at cam now?!
Reply 188
ljlindley
now that sounds like an incentive! lol. u up at cam now?!

I am indeed, came up on Saturday... soem of your fellow freshers have already arrived. They are here for Greek Week aka Geek Week which is a compulsory pre-term language course for Theologians etc. - Its my job this year to look after the first year theologians around the university.
Reply 189
i am a little jealous of those at greek/geek week, it would be great to be up there! how much is internet from the college?
Reply 190
ljlindley
i am a little jealous of those at greek/geek week, it would be great to be up there! how much is internet from the college?

£26 for 15 somethings lol... the connection has just gone up from 8 to 15 somethings

Justin
Reply 191
JHutcher
£26 for 15 somethings lol... the connection has just gone up from 8 to 15 somethings

Justin

megabytes?! and is that per term?
Reply 192
ljlindley
and dont forget your gowns! lol what day is everyones matric dinner? mines tuesday :party:

mine's thursday.. ooh and still need to get my gown!
Reply 193
Luciex
mine's thursday.. ooh and still need to get my gown!

me too! gunna get one on saturday
That reminds me, we can get gowns when we come up, right? Otherwise I will be gownless...
Reply 195
yeah from the JCSU for about 40 quid....bargain!
Another day, another absurd question; am I right in thinking that we have our matriculation as soon as we arrive, and that it's not a big formal thing? And that therefore I can matriculate whilst dressed like a tramp?
Reply 197
Star_crossed
Another day, another absurd question; am I right in thinking that we have our matriculation as soon as we arrive, and that it's not a big formal thing? And that therefore I can matriculate whilst dressed like a tramp?

yes matric once we arrive (btw what time u arriving at) i dont think its a mega formal thing, we have to sign summat (parents can watch etc...) i asked my college dad n he says to go down in casual wear.....so yeah u can "dress like a tramp" lol. the formal bits are matric dinner and photo :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending