The Student Room Group

University staff plan strike action for 31 October

Poll

Do you support university staff in their strike over pay and conditions?

University staff will stage a one-day national strike on 31 October in a row over pay and conditions.

The strike is expected to affect the whole of the UK, since it is being taken by the three main university unions - the University and College Union (UCU), Unison and Unite.

The unions say their members will walk out unless employers improve a 1% pay offer. The strike is particularly notable since it is the first time all three unions have planned strike action together: it would effectively bring UK universities to a standstill.

While unions say the below-inflation pay offer represents another cut in real terms to their members' pay, the Independent reports that "pay and benefits for university leaders increased by £5,000 on average in 2011-12. The average salary for a vice-chancellor in the UK is now nearly £250,000."

"Staff have suffered year-on-year cuts in the value of their pay," said Michael MacNeil, head of higher education at UCU. "Quite simply, enough is enough. We urge the employers to reflect on the fact that they are about to face their first ever strike by three unions at the same time and come to the negotiating table to resolve this dispute.

"The suppression of academic pay is one of the most sustained pay cuts since the second world war and, while strike action is always a last resort, the fact that staff are prepared to take this step demonstrates just how angry they are."

Jon Richards, head of higher education at Unison said that his union's members are "upset and angry" and that "many are struggling to survive on low pay."

What do you think? Do you support the university staff strike?

Scroll to see replies

Ridiculous.

Also, Sir David Bell KCB is getting roughly 250k? That's a really good salary! I met him the other day :teehee:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
what about oxbridge
I think it's a lot easier for me to feel supportive when they schedule it in the middle of reading week / half term!

It does rather seem a little counterproductive though when it won't cause any disruption in many places.
No. There are plenty of other jobs which haven't seen any pay rise at all (indeed at my old company, the only pay rises anyone could achieve for about four years from 2008-2012 was via promotion). I generally don't support strikes, and university staff are pretty well paid across the board for what they do, and are vastly overpaid in some areas (very basic admin work for £18k+, mickey mouse 'student experience officer' jobs for £25k, etc).

Won't affect me as I'm neither working or studying on the 31st. Indeed, I'm sure many students will welcome the opportunity to get their halloween costumes sorted.
I don't support it at all, but then again I do have 3 lectures that day....
Reply 6
All it does is make me wonder where my 9k a year student loan is going...
My Dad is an academic and earns £40k, and a less until recently. He's in his 50s and has nearly 30 years of experience.

I wouldn't call that 'struggling to survive', but it's low for someone with a PhD, and low compared to other industries. He could have got more than that by joinng the Navy. Bringing up some manager's 250k salary is extremely misleading.

It does, however, worry me where the extra money could come from. I strongly believe higher education should be financially accessible, for the good of the country if nothing else. £9000 tuition fees were criminal. Unfortunately the solution is probably to cut down on degrees that could be apprenticeship led. That might sound snobby, and I don't know if apprenticeships are even better value to the government so I take it back if not, but I think funding in academia should be preserved for academic subjects - sending half the population to university simply isn't sustainable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think it's a lot easier for me to feel supportive when they schedule it in the middle of reading week / half term!

It does rather seem a little counterproductive though when it won't cause any disruption in many places.
I don't get a reading week/half term ... I only have one lecture timetabled for that day though ...
Reply 9
Original post by Robbie242
what about oxbridge

They'll be in the same unions so guess they'll be part of it too.

Exceptions will probably be the ones that are also professional instiutions like BPP and University of Law, maybe Buckngham too as they're private.
I've got 6 hours of lectures and classes on that day, 4 of which will now probably be cancelled. I'm not impressed at all :mad:.
I'm supposed to be in labs 9-5 that day. Haven't been told anything about it yet, so hopefully that will still be happening.
So they're striking in october on a thursday. Way to maximise the impact of your strike

October - People still haven't got into the routine of taking lectures seriously, exams are seem ages away.
Thursday - Wednesday is sports afternoon making wednesday night one of the biggest nights for most unis - everyone misses thursday morning anyway

Dunno about anyone else but i often found thursday mornings mid semester to be the quietest day of the lot.
Reply 13
I wouldn't be happy if I was a student, and I am not happy with this as a non- student.
Original post by Octohedral
My Dad is an academic and earns £40k, and a less until recently. He's in his 50s and has nearly 30 years of experience.

I wouldn't call that 'struggling to survive', but it's low for someone with a PhD, and low compared to other industries. He could have got more than that by joinng the Navy. Bringing up some manager's 250k salary is extremely misleading.

It does, however, worry me where the extra money could come from. I strongly believe higher education should be financially accessible, for the good of the country if nothing else. £9000 tuition fees were criminal. Unfortunately the solution is probably to cut down on degrees that could be apprenticeship led. That might sound snobby, and I don't know if apprenticeships are even better value to the government so I take it back if not, but I think funding in academia should be preserved for academic subjects - sending half the population to university simply isn't sustainable.

Thank God someone agrees with me on this; the only people that should be going to university are those that need a degree or want to attend higher education, forcing people into education doing vocational courses with little prospects is not doing them any favour as they will find it incredibly difficult to get a job; and it's not doing anyone else favours either because menial jobs now require degrees despite them not being relevant. We've become a society where paper is more important than production...
I haven't heard anything about it.
Pretty thoughtless. Should have it on 1/11. Then I can get drunk on 31/10.
Funny how these workplaces always want to cut pay for frontline staff yet award senior staff like VCs massive bonuses.

Look it up guys...
If this was over job losses I would be concerned and probably back them but during a time when tons of people can't get jobs (never mind a cushy lecturer job) I don't. Their pay is half decent as it is, there are other priorities in the race for raising peoples wage.
Reply 19
Original post by John Stuart Mill
Thank God someone agrees with me on this; the only people that should be going to university are those that need a degree or want to attend higher education, forcing people into education doing vocational courses with little prospects is not doing them any favour as they will find it incredibly difficult to get a job; and it's not doing anyone else favours either because menial jobs now require degrees despite them not being relevant. We've become a society where paper is more important than production...

I agree. Utility is king.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending