The Student Room Group

University staff plan strike action for 31 October

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozzyoscy
Get a day off though.

How is going and standing on a picket line in the rain and the cold a "day off"?

Sounds to me like you don't actually know that much about workplaces and trade unions
Reply 81
Original post by MostUncivilised
How is going and standing on a picket line in the rain and the cold a "day off"?

Sounds to me like you don't actually know that much about workplaces and trade unions

Says the guy who thinks every single person taking the day off is doing that.
Says the guy who thinks every single person taking the day off is doing that.

Who's taking the day off? There was a strike action, but I think you're struggling a bit and seem to be confused about what industrial action is.

For the record, every single member of staff who took strike action in my department joined the picket line. So please, let's hear some more misconceptions of yours.

By the way, have you ever had a real job?
Reply 83
Original post by MostUncivilised
Who's taking the day off? There was a strike action, but I think you're struggling a bit and seem to be confused about what industrial action is.

For the record, every single member of staff who took strike action in my department joined the picket line. So please, let's hear some more misconceptions of yours.

By the way, have you ever had a real job?

I might if you improve your attitude, keyboard warrior.
Reply 84
Original post by pane123
Who pays the pensions of clerical and manual staff?

As PQ suggested most universities run their own schemes but, if staff do not want to join for whatever reason, then they have to join NEST assuming they earn enough.
Reply 85
Original post by willbee
I think it shows total disrespect for their paying students tbh. At the end of the day, our fees fund their salaries, so I can see why they think if we're paying more, they should be earning more, but that doesn't mean they should take it out on us.

It depends on the subject. I work in a medical sciences faculty and for some of our staff they could be make far more money by not seeing students at all. They actively take a pay cut when teaching undergraduates...
Original post by James A
Ridiculous.

Also, Sir David Bell KCB is getting roughly 250k? That's a really good salary! I met him the other day :teehee:

I agree that a 250k salary is totally and completely ridiculous. As for an ordinary lecturer/senior lecturer- they need a pay rise to compensate for energy price increases imposed on them without consultation- and that goes for the rest of the working population as well! So the strike is worthwhile.
Reply 87
The people who really need it are the staff we don't often think about, cleaners and the like, but this strike was in support of them too.
Heavy snow overnight disrupts public transport and leads to cancellation of classes...
Students: "yeh! No Uni! We can stay at home in our pjs, and watch trashy tv!"

National strikes, aimed at safeguarding the future of higher education leads to cancellation of classes...
Students: " Those selfish, thieving bastards!!! I pay £xxxx to be here every day!"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Bit of an awkward moment when those same self-entitled people realise that they never pay back the money they take out anyway
Original post by mickyfitz13
So what happens to the £9000 each student puts into the university every year? Who gets it? The universities' research pocket? The professors who teach us? Or some rainy day fund?! It's unbelievable that it's coming to this!

It compensated for the 75% cut in funding from the government.

Universities ended up overall with slightly less money per student but with a bunch of students who expected more.
Ok, didn't realise that...
Original post by halbeth
The people who really need it are the staff we don't often think about, cleaners and the like, but this strike was in support of them too.

I agree, but most uni's contract in their cleaning companies so it is unlikely that they would even be considered as part of any pay settlement. When you hear leacturer's and teachers gripping about their pay & conditions then compare it to the likes of pay & conditions for cleaners and the like you think what do they have to complain about. After all there's no shortage of educated people in this country anymore. Makes me mad when you see cleaners stooping over in the corridor picking up litter and being so poorly paid for it, can't be nice.

I don't work in cleaning, but I've not had a pay increase for three years where I work and now the minimum wage is not far from what I get paid, so I don't even get 1%. No doubt bankers are back to nice fat pay rises that caused a lot of this mess but those at the bottom of the pay scale are having to have seemingly endless pay freeze to pay for the bankers incompetence and practically fraudulent activities.
Original post by Stewie2011
I agree, but most uni's contract in their cleaning companies so it is unlikely that they would even be considered as part of any pay settlement. When you hear leacturer's and teachers gripping about their pay & conditions then compare it to the likes of pay & conditions for cleaners and the like you think what do they have to complain about. After all there's no shortage of educated people in this country anymore. Makes me mad when you see cleaners stooping over in the corridor picking up litter and being so poorly paid for it, can't be nice.

I don't work in cleaning, but I've not had a pay increase for three years where I work and now the minimum wage is not far from what I get paid, so I don't even get 1%. No doubt bankers are back to nice fat pay rises that caused a lot of this mess but those at the bottom of the pay scale are having to have seemingly endless pay freeze to pay for the bankers incompetence and practically fraudulent activities.
Well the people who are striking are generally not the people who choose to outsource cleaning to contractors. Universities are run like businesses. The people at the top are not in research and they earn crazy salaries. If what they earn were fairly distributed, then Universities could afford to employ their own staff for basic labour (and to give them good pay and security), and everyone else working lower down in the ranks too.
Reply 94
I work at a Cambridge College and most people I work with are doctors and hold PHDs yet are earning less than £30k. Why? Because they're passionate about education I guess, they could be earning a lot more elsewhere.

I'm always in favour of strike action myself, if people feel hard done by in any way then they need to let it be known otherwise we wouldn't be living in much of a democracy.

Trouble is, the Tories spin doctors make all strikers out to be greedy, be it teachers, firefighters, university workers, nurses blah blah blah, and it seems to seep and stick into the minds of students for some reason. Well I'll be interested to see how passionate you become about your own industry and its pay situation once you start working full time and realise how hard you work and how many of your hours are taken up by work.
Reply 95
Original post by snapper1
Trouble is, the Tories spin doctors make all strikers out to be greedy, be it teachers, firefighters, university workers, nurses blah blah blah, and it seems to seep and stick into the minds of students for some reason. Well I'll be interested to see how passionate you become about your own industry and its pay situation once you start working full time and realise how hard you work and how many of your hours are taken up by work.

Airport workers have been trying to strike at Christmas since Blair, and Royal Mail workers strike every year. This is not a new thing and it's all their own doing. Airport workers can strike when they're not trying to ruin thousands of people's family time, and Royal Mail workers can strike when they stop stealing stuff and actually deliver an acceptable amount of mail in an acceptable manner. Or, more seriously, when Royal Mail stop allowing such mindblowing unprofessionalism.
Reply 96
Airport workers have been trying to strike at Christmas since Blair, and Royal Mail workers strike every year. This is not a new thing and it's all their own doing. Airport workers can strike when they're not trying to ruin thousands of people's family time, and Royal Mail workers can strike when they stop stealing stuff and actually deliver an acceptable amount of mail in an acceptable manner. Or, more seriously, when Royal Mail stop allowing such mindblowing unprofessionalism.

So? I didn't say it mattered when anyone strikes, the point is people strike when they're not happy - which they're entitled to do whenever they like. The beauty of a democracy.

Also saying that everyone in the Royal Mail are thieves just proves how ignorant you are. Let me guess, everyone on benefits is a scrounger too, right? Open your eyes and put down The Sun.
Reply 97
So? I didn't say it mattered when anyone strikes, the point is people strike when they're not happy - which they're entitled to do whenever they like. The beauty of a democracy.

Also saying that everyone in the Royal Mail are thieves just proves how ignorant you are. Let me guess, everyone on benefits is a scrounger too, right? Open your eyes and put down The Sun.

Half-read what I wrote, then pretend I wrote something else. Mature.
Reply 98
Half-read what I wrote, then pretend I wrote something else. Mature.

What you wrote is irrelevant to what I said so excuse me for skirting over most of it and getting to the crux of the matter; your ignorance. So airport workers went on strike during Blair's government?! Let it go...
Reply 99
What you wrote is irrelevant to what I said

Do you zone out when writing? Are you not taking your meds or something? What in the ****?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending