The Student Room Group

tumble dryer in student house

I live in a pretty big house with 5 girls (all second year) but some of them have mentioned all of us pitching in to buy a tumble dryer for the house instead of using the heating all the time as they think there clothes smell like damp.

We already pay 390 NOT inc bills which is alot for us anyway but surely a tumble dryer will cos more on the electric?

has anyone else has this problem? I think its a really bad idea to get one.
Reply 1
Tumble driers chew through electricity at an astonishing rate, so it would put a bit of a dent in your power bill I'm afraid. However, if your house is cold and damp, things can take days and days to air-dry and can go mouldy, so you might have to get one eventually (or find a laundrette and just do big loads together there).
Reply 2
Original post by alex193
Tumble driers chew through electricity at an astonishing rate, so it would put a bit of a dent in your power bill I'm afraid. However, if your house is cold and damp, things can take days and days to air-dry and can go mouldy, so you might have to get one eventually (or find a laundrette and just do big loads together there).

Yeah there is a laundrette just down the road. Just need to have a good argument behind me when it comes up
Reply 3
Original post by lilyxx
Yeah there is a laundrette just down the road. Just need to have a good argument behind me when it comes up

If you can use the laundrette. We had a tumble dryer last year and not in my second year, it does make a difference to how late you can leave the heating off until, and it's just generally nicer not having a permanently damp house. Electricity isn't too bad, I didn't notice a huge difference in our second and final year electric bills.
Reply 4
to be fair I think modern tumble dryers are much less energy hungry than they used to be, plus they are not terribly expensive to buy. you would obviously all have to agree not to put heaps of drenched towels in there for two hours to dry, just limit the use a bit and I would have thought it would be okay. You will all have to agree though, or you will end up paying a portion of the electricity for its use that you dont even use.

if it was me I would definitely have one, it means you have your stuff dried faster and more thoroughly, if you remove it promptly your stuff will need much less ironing too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending