The Student Room Group

Nursing or Midwifery?

I am 23 and will be applying as a mature student in 2014 but don't know whether to apply for nursing or midwifery. I have a huge interest in womens health particularly in pregnancy and If I do nursing my goal would be to do the post grad in mids. I spoke to 2 midwives which recommended I do nursing first to be dual qualified as I would gain more skills but I have also heard a rumour that unis are to abolish the post grad entry in Midwifery. I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this matter? Any advice/help on this matter is appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Beki1
I am 23 and will be applying as a mature student in 2014 but don't know whether to apply for nursing or midwifery. I have a huge interest in womens health particularly in pregnancy and If I do nursing my goal would be to do the post grad in mids. I spoke to 2 midwives which recommended I do nursing first to be dual qualified as I would gain more skills but I have also heard a rumour that unis are to abolish the post grad entry in Midwifery. I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this matter? Any advice/help on this matter is appreciated. Thank you.

There are fewer and fewer places offering the postgrad Midwifery course. At all of the open days I went to last year, they made it pretty clear that they didn't want people coming onto the nursing course who didn't want to actually be a nurse. Saying that, there's nothing stopping you from going onto a nursing degree, but be prepared for postgrad places to be very competitive.

You need to consider what you would do if you couldn't get onto the postgrad course, and whether you would be open to studying at universities which aren't necessarily your first choice.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. Your right I can only imagine how competitive it would be. This is the area I have most interest in and would like to work in but I was advised by two midwives to do nursing first. I am thinking of changing my application now to Midwifery but my personal statement, which was written by a nurse/midwife who is manager over student nurses in the hospital near me in Ireland, but she has written a reference for "nursing" do you think it would matter if I changed my choices to mids now or can she change hers even though its submitted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending