The Student Room Group

Higher Biology/Human Biology 2013-2014

I don't think this thread has been made so correct me if i am wrong.
(And then please delete this thread)

Biology is the science that is widely misunderstood as boring,weak and easy compared to it's counterparts(ie physics and chemistry). This is not true!:mad:

So how is everyone finding the course so far?
What are you hoping to get out of the course?
Any questions on the content?
Any other interesting Biology related things you can think of?

We may not have lots of maths, but we do have really, really big words.:tongue:

Spoiler

Some Revision Resources-

Scholar-http://scholar.hw.ac.uk/

Higher Biology
Higher Human

There's also the entirety of TSR to use, even though it can be quite ignorant of Scottish pupils at times. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh you beat me to it :P
To be honest I think that Biology is 'weak and easy' compared to physics and chemistry (The real sciences) - feels good to say that knowing I cant be negged!
I think the course is actually quite interesting and Im hoping to get an A, even though I am crashing it.
No kidding about the big words with photophosphorylation and such like.
Reply 2
Original post by Pennyarcade
Oh you beat me to it :P
To be honest I think that Biology is 'weak and easy' compared to physics and chemistry (The real sciences) - feels good to say that knowing I cant be negged!
I think the course is actually quite interesting and Im hoping to get an A, even though I am crashing it.
No kidding about the big words with photophosphorylation and such like.

Ahaa. You have the Chemistry thread, I'll take Biology.

I'm negging you in spirit, just know that:colone:.

Fundamentally, yes, Physics and Chemistry concepts are harder to grasp, but in my opinion that's just because we aren't built for imaging the world at those micro and macro scales, and biology is not for the light-hearted.

How do you find crashing it so far. I'd imagine it would be a pain, but if you work, a rather good subject to crash.
Original post by Memetics

Fundamentally, yes, Physics and Chemistry concepts are harder to grasp, but in my opinion that's just because we aren't built for imaging the world at those micro and macro scales, and biology is not for the light-hearted.

How do you find crashing it so far. I'd imagine it would be a pain, but if you work, a rather good subject to crash.

Real sciences use maths!
Its probably my easiest subject along with physics, I only had to learn osmosis from SG because I could still label all the cell stuff from second year :tongue:
I cant find any Unit 1 questions online for my unit test next week apart from pastpapers, do you know of any?
How are you finding it? You didnt answer your own questions in the OP ya know!
Reply 4
Real sciences use maths!
Its probably my easiest subject along with physics, I only had to learn osmosis from SG because I could still label all the cell stuff from second year :tongue:
I cant find any Unit 1 questions online for my unit test next week apart from pastpapers, do you know of any?

Here:
http://www.alfordacademy.aberdeenshire.sch.uk/subjects/documents/biol/Unit%201.pdf
http://www.hamiltonscience.org/bhigher.html

Those should keep you busy for a while :wink:
I'll edit it if i find anymore.

Damn you sir, you're too good. I'm finding it quite easy so far, but still very interesting. I'm more looking forward to Unit 2, as it finally(ugh) mentions evolution. For the first time in school.Ever:s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Here:
http://www.alfordacademy.aberdeenshire.sch.uk/subjects/documents/biol/Unit%201.pdf
http://www.hamiltonscience.org/bhigher.html

Those should keep you busy for a while :wink:
I'll edit it if i find anymore.

Damn you sir, you're to good. I'm finding it quite easy so far, but still very interesting. I'm more looking forward to Unit 2, as it finally(ugh) mentions evolution. For the first time in school.Ever:s-smilie:

Thanks! Yeah the evolution part sounds really interesting- definately more interesting than how plants have sex anyway.

Here all the biologists will need these to help with the course :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crayola-Supertips-Washable-Pack-12/dp/B0002HYYDU/ref=sr_1_3?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1382026649&sr=1-3
Reply 6

Real sciences use maths!

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" - E. Rutherford

In all fairness, Biology is the most complex and the hardest to 'fully' understand (I'm talking about actual biology and none of that animal behavior/ecosystems ****e). Although we have a well-defined classifications of things in Biology, there are few laws and relationships like in physics/chemistry which makes it the 'soft science.' In my opinion, biology should be viewed and taught in schools with a more conceptual approach rather than learning parts of the cell and ****ing around with quadrats.

And add this to the resources
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios

In all fairness, Biology is the most complex and the hardest to 'fully' understand (I'm talking about actual biology and none of that animal behavior/ecosystems ****e). Although we have a well-defined classifications of things in Biology, there are few laws and relationships like in physics/chemistry which makes it the 'soft science.' In my opinion, biology should be viewed and taught in schools with a more conceptual approach rather than learning parts of the cell and ****ing around with quadrats.

I agree it is pretty stupid the way they teach it.
I have a feeling this thread will become people ripping on biology :tongue:
Reply 8

Yeah, as well as the fact that as a theoretical subject Biology raises some tantalizingly interesting questions. Nature vs Nurture, Origin of Life,The Nature of Disease. Even extraterrestrial life. These are far more important than the way proteins look and the distribution of plants on a windy hill.
And not to mention, one of the most foolproof theories in science, Evolution.
Reply 9
Yeah, as well as the fact that as a theoretical subject Biology raises some tantalizingly interesting questions. Nature vs Nurture, Origin of Life,The Nature of Disease. Even extraterrestrial life. These are far more important than the way proteins look and the distribution of plants on a windy hill.

Proteins are interesting and fun. But instead of just learning 'this is what they look like' and this is ' how they're made by the cell,' schools should teach how their structure relates to their function - why are they made like that?
Reply 10
Proteins are interesting and fun. But instead of just learning 'this is what they look like' and this is ' how they're made by the cell,' schools should teach how their structure relates to their function - why are they made like that?

Exactly my point!
Reply 11
So far after taking all three sciences at higher I am finding biology the easiest! I feel like allthough the stuff may be harder it is more focused on fewer topics so is much easier to revisie!
Reply 12
Original post by DOC1997
So far after taking all three sciences at higher I am finding biology the easiest! I feel like allthough the stuff may be harder it is more focused on fewer topics so is much easier to revisie!

It's also more interesting eh?

I think Biology comes down to memory more than sheer understanding, like in physics and chemistry. It will most likely become more challenging once you have covered the entire course and find out just how much you have to know.
It's also more interesting eh?

I think Biology comes down to memory more than sheer understanding, like in physics and chemistry. It will most likely become more challenging once you have covered the entire course and find out just how much you have to know.

Yeah this exactly. Biology is just like a memory game. I love how they try to throw in the odd RF value question, trying to make it into a real science by making you use basic math :tongue:.

How are we all finding the sciences? Im assuming pretty much everyone in s5 on this has picked all sciences :cool:

How would you propose we go on to introduce that conceptual basis to the pedagogy of biology, though? What sort of stuff would we deal with in the curriculum?

Nature vs nurture isn't a question within the scope of biology. It's a multidisciplinary question. :tongue:

What questions are arisen about the nature of disease?

Be careful with that question, though. You wouldn't want to imply that there's any "intention" in biology. :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Nature vs nurture isn't a question within the scope of biology. It's a multidisciplinary question. :tongue:

What questions are arisen about the nature of disease?

Well genetics is definitely biology. Biology definitely has a large part to play in it, along with areas such as psychology, at least IMO.
Of the top of my head I'd think the ties between genetics and tendencies to develop disease. Conditions such as Cancer and many Mental conditions aren't fully understood yet.

These are to be related to some sub-groups of Biology, or at least overlap with them.
Well genetics is definitely biology. Biology definitely has a large part to play in it, along with areas such as psychology, at least IMO.

Totally agree with you, but the field of biology can't claim ownership over a multidisciplinary problem if it's only a piece of the puzzle, can it? :wink:

Of the top of my head I'd think the ties between genetics and tendencies to develop disease. Conditions such as Cancer and many Mental conditions aren't fully understood yet.

These are to be related to some sub-groups of Biology, or at least overlap with them.

No disease is fully understood! And come to think of it, I don't think we have what I'd consider an adequate explanation for any mental illness or psychiatric condition...I guess that comes part in parcel with us not really understanding the mind in the first place, huh?

Not really a question under the remit of biology, though, is it? You've basically just described the field of pathology. :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Totally agree with you, but the field of biology can't claim ownership over a multidisciplinary problem if it's only a piece of the puzzle, can it? :wink:

No disease is fully understood! And come to think of it, I don't think we have what I'd consider an adequate explanation for any mental illness or psychiatric condition...I guess that comes part in parcel with us not really understanding the mind in the first place, huh?

Not really a question under the remit of biology, though, is it? You've basically just described the field of pathology. :tongue:

Haha, Maybe It was just a bad use of context on my part:tongue:. Did I ever claim that it was only Biology? I shouldn't have. I was just trying to point out that biology still has a part to play in many really important area of the world and that the school syllabus doesn't really do that justice.:redface:
Yeah this exactly. Biology is just like a memory game. I love how they try to throw in the odd RF value question, trying to make it into a real science by making you use basic math :tongue:.

How are we all finding the sciences? Im assuming pretty much everyone in s5 on this has picked all sciences :cool:

Biology isn't "easy" but it's my easiest subject, like you say it's just a case of memorising loads of stuff!

And anyone who says there's no maths in biology has obviously never calculated the average number of daisies in their school playing field :rolleyes:
I don't find it easy, but it is kind of boring so far.

Oh, graphs of enzymes under the effects of temperature ? How interesting...

Quick Reply

Latest