The Student Room Group

Higher Biology/Human Biology 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd say it's the easiest of the three(unless you're really strong on maths then it'd probably be physics). You can basically just memorize it and still do really well; for physics and chemistry you need a deeper understanding to get a good mark.
Reply 21
There are some good biology videos that relate to the course on youtube. Many of them have extra pieces of information that can help with understanding many parts of the course.
Even though the narrators sometimes make you want to kill yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfy92hdaAH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moPJkCbKjBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfSYnItYvg
Original post by Bromaldehyde
I don't find it easy, but it is kind of boring so far.

Oh, graphs of enzymes under the effects of temperature ? How interesting...

Cell Biology is going to be boring for most people. People will struggle to relate to it.
If your doing non-human biology, then Unit 2 looks far more interesting to me. Things like Genetics and Natural Selection are really the things that make me fascinated by it.

No kidding, their voices help to emphasise how boring unit 1 biology can be :wink:
There's also this song which describes stages of mitosis and meiosis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOsAbTi9tHw

However, most of the information is probably not needed for higher...
Reply 24
Original post by greenladybird
There's also this song which describes stages of mitosis and meiosis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOsAbTi9tHw

However, most of the information is probably not needed for higher...

Oh no, biology songs haha.:tongue:
Finished my experiment write-up, whew !

That took forever.
Yous have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it is to do the genetics part without doing standard grade :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by Pennyarcade
Yous have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it is to do the genetics part without doing standard grade :frown:

Oh I can imagine. :redface: Any specific part your really struggling with? I'll help if I can. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Memetics
Oh I can imagine. :redface: ny specific part your really struggling with? I'll help if I can. :smile:

Not right now as we only skimmed the surface of dihybrid inheritance today, but Im sure I will need your help soon :tongue:
Confused by this past paper question:

A DNA molecule was found to contain 15000 nucleotides.

What is the maximum number of amino acids which could be coded for by this molecule ?

Answer is 2500 but no idea why that is.

Please help.
In DNA you have two strands that have complimentary base pairs, so divide 15000 by two to show that each nucleotide has joined with its pair, halving the number to 7500.

there is three bases in a codon/anticodon, and one codon/anticodon accounts for one amino acid, so divide 7500 by 3.

that gives you 2500 :smile:

ahhh i miss higher human. :/
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Confused by this past paper question:

A DNA molecule was found to contain 15000 nucleotides.

What is the maximum number of amino acids which could be coded for by this molecule ?

Answer is 2500 but no idea why that is.

Please help.

To be honest, this is a stupid question because there are only 4 bases so only 64 different possible codons. This means that a maximum of 64 amino acids can be coded for but in reality some codons act as a STOP sequence instead of coding for an amino acid and there is codon degeneracy (one amino acid is coded for by multiple codons).

But for the purposes of the SQA, the above answer is how they want you to do it. The question should have really said "assuming an infinite number of bases" or something along those lines.
Original post by Asklepios
To be honest, this is a stupid question because there are only 4 bases so only 64 different possible codons. This means that a maximum of 64 amino acids can be coded for but in reality some codons act as a STOP sequence instead of coding for an amino acid and there is codon degeneracy (one amino acid is coded for by multiple codons).

But for the purposes of the SQA, the above answer is how they want you to do it. The question should have really said "assuming an infinite number of bases" or something along those lines.

It's a scenario asking about a hypothetical maximum. They're allowed to make up DNA without introns and containing only amino acid coding codons if they want. :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It's a scenario asking about a hypothetical maximum. They're allowed to make up DNA without introns and containing only amino acid coding codons if they want. :tongue:

What about the 5' and 3' UTRs
What about the 5' and 3' UTRs

They're allowed to make up DNA without non-coding sequences if they want*
Reply 35
x

Can you remember is there any any essay questions in the AH Bio NABs?
I have a NAB next week and I'm not sure if I should practice my essays.
Thanks
Original post by Delenelie
Can you remember is there any any essay questions in the AH Bio NABs?
I have a NAB next week and I'm not sure if I should practice my essays.
Thanks

I'm pretty sure there aren't any essay questions
Reply 37
I'm pretty sure there aren't any essay questions

woo got 37/40 in the unit1 nab. Pretty good considering not too long ago i couldnt label a cell much to my classmates amusement :rolleyes:
Reply 39
Original post by Pennyarcade
woo got 37/40 in the unit1 nab. Pretty good considering not too long ago i couldnt label a cell much to my classmates amusement :rolleyes:

Well done man :wink:
Sitting my unit 1 NAB today, and my regular chapter test tomorrow, so we'll see how I compare. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending