Turn on thread page Beta

V603 - Face Coverings (Prohibition) Bill 2013 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    7.32%
    Of the contrary, No
    68.29%
    Abstain
    24.39%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    V603 - Face Coverings (Prohibition) Bill 2013, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party

Face Coverings (Prohibition) Act 2013

A bill to forbid the wearing of face covering in public spaces.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Prohibition
    (1) A person wearing a garment or other object intended by the wearer as its primary purpose to obscure the face in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.
    (2) Where members of the public are permitted to access private premises for the purposes of the giving or receiving of goods or services, it is not an offence for the owner to ask that a person wearing a garment or other object intended to obscure the face remove such garment or object; or to require that a person refusing a request leave the premises.
    (3) It shall be necessary that all forms of photo identification contain the person with their face not obscured or hidden by any material under any circumstance.

2. Penalty
    (1) Failure to adhere will result in a fine not exceeding £2000

3. Commencement, Extent and Short Title
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Face Coverings (Prohibition) Bill 2013
    (2) This bill shall extend to England and Wales
    (3) Shall come into force immediately following royal assent.

Note this was withdrawn 2 days ago but I've allowed it to go back up to vote because the author requested it yesterday just after the update went out.

ReputationRep:
    legislation that fascists would be proud of, hell no.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I was pleased when I saw this Bill had been withdrawn. But, here it is again. It's a no from me. Let people be allowed to wear what they want.

ReputationRep:
    I can definitely see the logic behind it but a straight out ban for example makes me uneasy. Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    I urge all MP's who believe in freedom, liberty and the rights of an individual to vote no in this bill.

This bill is inherently discriminatory against a minority religion within the UK. We should not be telling people what not to wear as that is the job of the individual and not for the government. This is both insulting and offensive to the religion of Islam as many Muslims see the need/ want to wear a burkah/hijab/facial scarf for their own purposes but this does not mean they have to wear one. It is an individual's right to choose what they wear and the govt is in no position to dictate what we wear. Furthermore we are a liberal democracy, toleration is a part of our principles and to allow for this law is complete a hipocracy of this principle.

However I agree that for ID photos and to check them ID a secretly removal is necessary but a blanket ban is

Moreover the fine of £2000 is far too much and many people on low wage income will struggle to pay this is 'caught' when they can hardly put food on the table for their children let alone face paying a maximum fine of £2000!

I for one shall be abstaining due to a promise made to Rakas for the mix-up/mistake of the leak of this a while back but I urge you all who believe in freedom, liberty and equality to vote no for this bill!

ReputationRep:
    No. This legislation is unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see whoever this elusive author is actually come out and defend such a henious policy.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is looking popular :lol:

ReputationRep:
    has there ever been a bill so unpopular as this? heck, will any pathetic little rat stoop so low as to vote "aye"

ReputationRep:
    0 votes for? Who the hell even wrote this tripe?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever happened to multiculturalism? No

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    worst legislation ever.

ReputationRep:
    No. No. No.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    Rather amusingly, I can not support this either due to the way s. 1(1) is written. While I would support the prohibition of cultural garment of such attributes, I think that wearing balaclavas in winter should be exempt, for example, although one could argue that their primary purpose is not to obscure, but to protect the face. In that case, however, Muslims could argue that their garment is primarily used to protect the face from UV radiation, in which case we would get nowhere. In effect, this legislation would pretty much backfire. It has definitely got potential, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Rather amusingly, I can not support this either due to the way s. 1(1) is written. While I would support the prohibition of cultural garment of such attributes, I think that wearing balaclavas in winter should be exempt, for example, although one could argue that their primary purpose is not to obscure, but to protect the face. In that case, however, Muslims could argue that their garment is primarily used to protect the face from UV radiation, in which case we would get nowhere. In effect, this legislation would pretty much backfire. It has definitely got potential, though.
    Have you turned into Imnew since joining the Conservatives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Have you turned into Imnew since joining the Conservatives?
    That was quite pathetic even by your standards.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Ayes to the right: 3
    The Noes to the left: 28
    Abstentions: 10

So the Noes have it, the Noes have it! Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2013
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.