Is 15 years old too late to start piano? Watch

hctiw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I had lessons for 3 months when I was around 7 and did Grade 1 with distinction, but my mum ran into debt and couldn't pay for my lessons any more. I was really upset because I've always loved music and want/ed to be a composer and concert pianist. I recently turned 15 in September and started lessons again and I love it but I feel like it's really a really pointless idea as a career path because I'm not going to get to a high standard because I'm starting so late.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is never too late to learn a musical instrument. Even if you never become a concert pianist, the pleasure you will have and be able to give to others will be something you will love I am sure. At St Pancras station there are pianos placed for anyone to play, and I have often seen someone playing just for fun and really appearing to enjoy it.
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
never too late ever, you may not be as good as people who have started earlier; that doesn't mean with practice you can't be as good or even better though!
Yeah OK
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just give it a go. It'll probably be stressful and a long process, but you won't know unless you try it.
sidmagic
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like mentioned above, it will be stressful at first but you'll eventually catch up and get into the flow again. I did violin for a year but then left it for a few years. Picked it up again around 14/15 and I have to admit it was hard at first but quickly fell in love with it again, I was even chosen to play in the Christmas choir for my school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChocolateMelody
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It absolutely isn't to late to start learning it now - many adults start playing the piano later and still do well in it. Many people who play the piano and want to do something in music don't go on and become concert pianists anyway. I'm doing grade 8 piano and I want to do chemistry for example, but I want to carry on doing music in my spare time, definitely. I started singing lessons as well and after 6 months I jumped straight to grade 5.
Now is a great time to start because you're old enough to be able to concentrate and learn well but not too old to find it difficult to learn something new. Even if you don't go on and use your piano playing skills professionally it is a great skill to have anyway, particularly as it's so enjoyable. (Jazz and pop songs are quite good to start off with because you can learn simple chords you can improvise around and you get a sense of accomplishment that you can play something through and potentially accompany a singer/guitar too!)
Anyway, to come back to the question - it's never too late to start learning to play let us know how you get on
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why would it be too late? I started sax a year ago when I was 17 and after about 11 months I'm already grade 6 standard. If you're musical, then it's easy.
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well you probably have around 70+ years before you die or become too senile to function. I think that will be enough time to learn to play the piano.
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you take the right approach, then it's not too late at all. You probably won't be as good as people your age for a while, but if you stay dedicated and practice a lot you'll catch up to some of them. Just focus on scales, arpeggios and studies and you'll notice progress much quicker than if you were just playing random pieces
jamesjamesk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never too late to pick up another instrument, go for it!
h5mind
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is it ever too late to do what you enjoy? Does passion or enthusiasm have an expiration date? Hopefully you have been playing this entire time The hardest part of music is to share authentic emotion. That skill is something some people are born with, while others spend a lifetime chasing it. Read 'The Music Lesson' by Victor Wooten for a terrific boost to your enthusiasm as well as musicianship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.12%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.64%
No- I want it (90)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (23)
6.97%

Watched Threads