The Student Room Group

What team should I support?

For a long time I've been admired to this sport, my first team was Man united, however that was those year 4 days, I've always keep up with the rumours etc, and I'm from the East of London

As Cantona said

You can change your wife, your politics, your religion, but never, never can you change your favourite football team.

I've tried rooting for West Ham but I never felt any connection, also smaller clubs don't do it for me, any idea in who I can support? Thanks

And give me reasons why, about the fan base etc, I don't mind Fiorentina tbh but there abroad and I wouldn't know who I'd support Internationally otherwise

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the interest level you're prepared to take. Do smaller clubs not 'do it' for you because regular attendance would be inconvenient (time, money etc)? If so, then you would indeed be better off supporting a Premier League team.

Where exactly in East London are you from? If you are prepared to attend matches and it's a case of picking out of the blue, you could do a lot worse than Orient or Charlton. However if you do have a 'connection' with any one team in your area, whoever they might be, I'd support them. Myself. I was never really a Spurs 'supporter' as a kid, despite feeling the connection as I came from Hertfordshire and they were my dad's team, but I admired them. Then when I could, I decided to start attending, and the love affair's gone from there.
(edited 10 years ago)
You should support your local team. I support City because i was born in Moss Side and have had a season ticket for 18 years.
I don't think you need to actively and consciously decide "I am going to support team X from now on". It's not a switch you can just flick on and off. Over a period of time, if you just watch the games and read the sports news articles that you're interested in, discuss football with your friends and family etc. I think you automatically start getting immersed in the "story" of a particular team, and start developing an affinity towards them. Most of the time, if you're regularly buying tickets to see matches, it will end up being whichever club's home ground is near where you live. But if you're mostly just watching it on TV, it could be any club really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride
It depends on the interest level you're prepared to take. Do smaller clubs not 'do it' for you because regular attendance would be inconvenient (time, money etc)? If so, then you would indeed be better off supporting a Premier League team.

Where exactly in East London are you from? If you are prepared to attend matches and it's a case of picking out of the blue, you could do a lot worse than Orient or Charlton. However if you do have a 'connection' with any one team in your area, whoever they might be, I'd support them. Myself. I was never really a Spurs 'supporter' as a kid, despite feeling the connection as I came from Hertfordshire and they were my dad's team, but I admired them. Then when I could, I decided to start attending, and the love affair's gone from there.

Charlton wouldn't be a bad idea to be fair
Support your local team. Unfortunately for me, that's Leeds United :P

Supporting a team because they're good give others the idea that you're just a fickle, impressionable sheep.
Reply 6
I think I will stay neutral at the moment I guess guys.
Reply 7
It's boring being a neutral, to be fair, I'd rather watch Champions League then FA Cup if you know what I mean.
Reply 8
Anyways guys, I've been looking for a team for over a year now, and I still haven't found one, it's boring be neutral, as I don't really have a team to follow and discuss, so what team do you guys recommend?
Original post by 3razy
Anyways guys, I've been looking for a team for over a year now, and I still haven't found one, it's boring be neutral, as I don't really have a team to follow and discuss, so what team do you guys recommend?

I dont know.. I was in the same situation 3 years back.. didnt have a team, no local or family connections..

But I loved the game, so just started watching..

And gradually due to a whole hoast of reasons, started to like and dislike teams..

Arsenal caught my eye due to their match against barca back a few years ago, where they came from behind to win.. I was watching it with some arsenal friends, and it was just quite something.. Then since, watching them struggle, loose players, have awful injury luck, get slated by everyone else.. yet still fight back and maintain a CL place, has endeared me to them quite a lot :smile:

United, I liked for SAF, who is just quite something... and a number of their individual players I liked :smile: Park, hernandez, de gea, scholes etc. - and watching a team win is always nice (if we are honest)

Swansea, because a partner of mine used to follow them, and they were the team I rooted for in the championship season where they got promoted.. Since its just been great :smile:

Brighton, because of one match I wated a year or two ago, with them against liverpool.. and since then have had a soft-spot :smile:

And could keep going..

Then there are teams I dislike..

City+chelsea I dont really like, due to the constant changes in players and staff.. and the money aspects (though chelsea did grow on me, when watching them as under-dogs in the CL 2 seasons back.. not because they won, just because who can resist an under-dog story, and the drogba ending..)

I disliked spurs because of redknap..

I disliked liverpool because the people I know who supported them were dicks.. (awful reason, but still..)

And so on...

-- my point is, as a 'neutral' it doesnt have to be boring, and slowly over time you can just like/dislike teams, - and as you grow and become more connected with certian teams, maybe one day you will consider yourself a proper supporter :smile:

It seems fake to me, to just say 'I Support X, because of.. well I jsut chose'

Instead watch the game, join in the discussions, see what teams you connect with, and maybe in a number of years you would have deveoped a connection with a team, and become a supporter/fan/follower :smile: -- seems a much more organic way of doing it, then just choosing :smile:

(all presumes you dont have a local team/family team)
Reply 10
I didn't choose Liverpool, Liverpool chose me.

Seriously though, most people were brought up on a team and can't remember not supporting it, I can't imagine consciously choosing a team to support.

If you're from the area though and you want a Prem team then West Ham are a good bet.
Reply 11
Original post by fallen_acorns
I dont know.. I was in the same situation 3 years back.. didnt have a team, no local or family connections..

But I loved the game, so just started watching..

And gradually due to a whole hoast of reasons, started to like and dislike teams..

Arsenal caught my eye due to their match against barca back a few years ago, where they came from behind to win.. I was watching it with some arsenal friends, and it was just quite something.. Then since, watching them struggle, loose players, have awful injury luck, get slated by everyone else.. yet still fight back and maintain a CL place, has endeared me to them quite a lot :smile:

United, I liked for SAF, who is just quite something... and a number of their individual players I liked :smile: Park, hernandez, de gea, scholes etc. - and watching a team win is always nice (if we are honest)

Swansea, because a partner of mine used to follow them, and they were the team I rooted for in the championship season where they got promoted.. Since its just been great :smile:

Brighton, because of one match I wated a year or two ago, with them against liverpool.. and since then have had a soft-spot :smile:

And could keep going..

Then there are teams I dislike..

City+chelsea I dont really like, due to the constant changes in players and staff.. and the money aspects (though chelsea did grow on me, when watching them as under-dogs in the CL 2 seasons back.. not because they won, just because who can resist an under-dog story, and the drogba ending..)

I disliked spurs because of redknap..

I disliked liverpool because the people I know who supported them were dicks.. (awful reason, but still..)

And so on...

-- my point is, as a 'neutral' it doesnt have to be boring, and slowly over time you can just like/dislike teams, - and as you grow and become more connected with certian teams, maybe one day you will consider yourself a proper supporter :smile:

It seems fake to me, to just say 'I Support X, because of.. well I jsut chose'

Instead watch the game, join in the discussions, see what teams you connect with, and maybe in a number of years you would have deveoped a connection with a team, and become a supporter/fan/follower :smile: -- seems a much more organic way of doing it, then just choosing :smile:

(all presumes you dont have a local team/family team)

I'm nearly exactly like you, but I love football, I agree with your Arsenal and Man United stance, I don't know man, it's so frustating.
Reply 12
Charlton is a great place to go to... Just depends how easy it is for you to get to it..

Next Sunday against Wigan the tickets are just £6 if you fancy it.
Reply 13
Original post by Huskaris
Charlton is a great place to go to... Just depends how easy it is for you to get to it..

Next Sunday against Wigan the tickets are just £6 if you fancy it.

It's an hour by public transport, so... It could work out or not..
Reply 14
Original post by 3razy
It's an hour by public transport, so... It could work out or not..

I see what you mean. Well maybe give it a go next Sunday? It will be a pretty big crowd because it's so cheap (around 18,000-23,000)

I personally walk, I live just 20 minutes away, but I know that some Charlton fans get coaches from hours away. Just depends how much you like the club!
Leyton Orient.
Reply 16
I see what you mean. Well maybe give it a go next Sunday? It will be a pretty big crowd because it's so cheap (around 18,000-23,000)

I personally walk, I live just 20 minutes away, but I know that some Charlton fans get coaches from hours away. Just depends how much you like the club!

So who do you support?
Reply 17
Original post by 3razy
So who do you support?

Haha... Charlton :biggrin:. But genuinely even people that support different teams always comment on how nice the Valley is, and its never a boring life being a Charlton fan although it can be a really frustrating one!!!
The only way you will ever feel a real connection to any team is if you start going to watch them play live.
Reply 19
Haha... Charlton :biggrin:. But genuinely even people that support different teams always comment on how nice the Valley is, and its never a boring life being a Charlton fan although it can be a really frustrating one!!!

Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
The only way you will ever feel a real connection to any team is if you start going to watch them play live.

I guess I might go and see them live then, 6 pound for a ticket, lovely.

Quick Reply

Latest