The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get on a nursing course?

I've got a Higher Education Cert, for dropping out of another course... this certificate will give me the extra points I need. I have a C in English, equivalent of a C in Maths and a DD in science, not all university's ask for science....... Also, I have a caution off when I was 17 (now 22) for theft (I come from a nice background but got in with a bad group at the time) this will have to be put on application, which wont look good :redface: ...... I'm looking into volunteering but I'm not sure how to get into it? I live in a small town. I want to get that sorted before applying so I can put it on my application. When do most people apply / when is the latest I can apply? Will and favours go toward me in that my mums a nurse and has been for 30 years? Thanks guys :colondollar: x
Reply 1
I have the same worry, mine was 7 years ago I dont want it to ruin my chances :frown:
Reply 2
You need to read this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/disclosure-and-barring-service-filtering there is all the information you need. Essentially as long as your conviction / caution etc. is not on the barred list AND the correct time has passed, there will be no record on the DBS - the time however is a lot longer that 7 years if you were convicted. Under 18 you have extra rights though so "should" be OK. Read the information carefully and seek legal advice if you don't understand but DO NOT lie on the UCAS or DBS forms - you WILL get caught out and that is game over!
why don't you phone the unis directly? ask then what they say about cautions?

Also, the unis are taking YOU on not your mum they want to see if you've got what it takes.

just from a student nurses point of view, I mean I've done the interview process, it's all about you and no one else, there not fussed on your background they care weather you'll make a good nurse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys I'm a current nursing student (adult) and I would just like to point out that nursing is one of the professions that is exempt from the "rehabilitation of offenders act" meaning any offence committed does not come off your DBS and will be disclosed. It's an advanced DBS you need for nursing and all cautions, convictions etc. will be displayed... Whether this hurts your chances or not can depend but I just wanted to point that out. Feel free to message me or reply if you would like further info! I do agree to contact the uni directly if you really are overly concerned.
Its ok gettin the grades u also need an exellent personal statement and experiance as our uni is only taking in 40 nursing students nxt september and over 700 applied last year
Apply thru ucas the earlier the better they start looking through applications in january
Original post by Amanda gibson
Its ok gettin the grades u also need an exellent personal statement and experiance as our uni is only taking in 40 nursing students nxt september and over 700 applied last year

There were over 4000 applicants to Nottingham this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daveboi115
There were over 4000 applicants to Nottingham this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at nottingham!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi there, I have applied to study Adult Nursing for September 2014. In relation to your maths and science grades, just double check the uni's that you are going to apply to and make sure that they take gcse equivalents and do not require gcse science. I was the same as you for looking for volunteer work. As long as you are over 16 (which I assume you are) then you can get into volunteering at a local residential care home for older adults. This is probably the easiest way to get into healthcare volunteering because they are always after volunteers. After that, look on your local NHS Trust's website to get a weeks placement at your local hospital, for Nursing it is a huge thing to get Hospital Experience. Other than that try the do-it website, it searches volunteering opportunities in your local area. Any type of volunteering is great as it shows you are hard-working etc. Regarding when to apply, it depends when you want to start, most uni's have two intakes per year January and September. People who have applied for September 2014 are getting interviews now for then so it is really far in advance. If you want to start in September 2014 then you should have already applied to be in with the best chance of getting a place. You can put into your personal statement that your mum is 'your inspiration' for wanting to become a nurse, but if you have no experience, no qualifications and a really bad personal statement then it won't help one bit. Hope I have helped in some way, if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know and I'll try my best to help! GOOD LUCK:smile:
Reply 10
How did you get on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending