The Student Room Group

KPMG Audit School Leavers' 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,
OP here, new account seen as I forgot the login details for my previous one. Apologies for not responding to this thread for quite a while. I'll answer any un-answered questions that I spot now.

Original post by abalchin
also, if I apply to Exeter-London how often do you travel? like how often do you spend living at each

Check out page 8 and 9 of this link: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=87f40790-4f52-4bbe-a68c-2a88f8e4c2e8

Anyway, as for how I got on:
A-Level Accounting: B
A-Level Mathematics: B (5 marks off an A, so I'm resitting a module!)
AS Business Studies: D (Unit 2 got the best of me, despite me getting an A in Unit 1)

This year, I'm taking A-Level Further Mathematics and A2 Business Studies. I'm also planning to apply for the Preston office with Durham University. I've chosen five universities as a back-up, but my hearts set on Durham.
Quick question before I forget.
Has anybody here emailed their chosen office to try get a bit more information about the course? I'm considering asking for work experience, or at least a tour of the office so that I can get comfortable before going to the interviews etc, since I tend to get extremely anxious.
Original post by paterson085
Quick question before I forget.
Has anybody here emailed their chosen office to try get a bit more information about the course? I'm considering asking for work experience, or at least a tour of the office so that I can get comfortable before going to the interviews etc, since I tend to get extremely anxious.

I have spoken to my cousin who is an accountant and she says that it is really difficult to actually get work experience with any of the big 4 because they don't want to be seen to be getting you to do work without paying you 😕 she said the only way you would get work experience was if you knew like one of the directors. I am planning to wait and see if I get further in the application process and then if I do I would then consider speaking to my potential office 😁 hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
With so many applicants, im not sure they have the people to give you a tour of the office.
I'm unsure as to the initial application process, is it applying through the website when available or does it involve UCAS?
Original post by Casiolynn
Do you guys actually want to do Accountancy or are you simply applying to this SLP as it's basically free uni + a place with one of the big 4?

Free, guarantees a job, applying for maths anyway

Original post by SamanthaJV
I'm unsure as to the initial application process, is it applying through the website when available or does it involve UCAS?

Online application initially that is separate from ucas
Do you guys actually want to do Accountancy or are you simply applying to this SLP as it's basically free uni + a place with one of the big 4?

Ive followed this post ages, and it seems most dont want to do accountancy xD.

If i dont get in here im applying for Accounting and Finance @

Durham
Birmingham
Keele
Cardiff
Manchester
Original post by Yellow636
Ive followed this post ages, and it seems most dont want to do accountancy xD.

If i dont get in here im applying for Accounting and Finance @

Durham
Birmingham
Keele
Cardiff
Manchester

I don't know why people apply if they don't want to do accounting. The scheme makes you employable in accounting but outside the industry, you may as well just have done a degree you enjoyed doing.
why are people bothering if they don't want to do accounting? so frustrating when it is already so competitive for the people who really want a place on this..
applications coming close, lets all pray for low boundaries on the verbal and non verbal exams
Anyone found any practice exams? :smile:
I doubt it's boundaries what they judge by, I'd say it's rather a comparative method that they use: from say 20/20 correct up to until they fill the number of people they want ..

so from what you're suggesting, the earlier you apply the better your chances are
They pass you based on percentiles. If you are 99th percentile, you did better than 99% of others taking the test. You need about 30th percentile to pass. You aren't competing against anyone for the job. If you meet the standard, you'll be offered the job. It's first come first served. Don't worry about the tests, in the Deloitte scheme, of the 2500 odd people who applied, less than 100 failed the tests. If your a relatively decent student, you'll get the job.

I'll be honest with you here. I've wanted to do Accountancy since I discovered what exactly it was. I've always been numerical and interested in finance. In fact, my reception class teacher predicted that I'd grow up to become an Accountant. I'm pretty offended actually that a lot of people on this thread are probably only applying for free university and a place in one of the big four.
Anyhow, I'm also applying to:
University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
Robert Gordon University
Liverpool John Moores University
University of Huddersfield

But, my heart is set on Durham.
Original post by khadieja
If you've got a predicted ABB, you should do! I think that was the minimum required anyway:smile:

Hi. So it is based on predicted grades then?
Original post by Student23478
Hi. So it is based on predicted grades then?

It is based on predicted grades but you do need to get them or they will take away your offer. They are very strict and have high standards.
How can you be so certain about the 30th percentile pass? Would that be SJTs or SJTs + Numerical Reasoning + Verbal Reasoning ? I must admit I am pleased with my SJT scores but my Numerical reasoning is dreadful - I always get around 40% of the questions right which is so stressful :s

Plus .. surely not everyone who meets the requirements is offered the job, that could be hundreds of people!

I am also rather curious what happens if you are applying per say for a job based in the office in London - is there a certain number of people set per office? Would they base you someplace else in case they really want you?

Yes you are right. They can't take everyone on, there are limited places but I don't know how many. Does anyone know how many places each year and how many people apply? The tests are just the first hurdle and then it is based on your interviews and references.
Original post by Simonthegreat
It is based on predicted grades but you do need to get them or they will take away your offer. They are very strict and have high standards.

What if you get above the minimum entry requirements but you don't get you're predicted grades? Possibly still a chance?
Exeter is gone :frown:
Reply 99
Do you know why that is? I phoned Exeter and they were as surprised as I was!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending