The Student Room Group

What do you do in a nightclub??

So I just started university and I've been really getting in with the people in my accommodation. I would say they are now my closest friends considering I left everyone else at home and moved across the country to uni. However they just asked me to go clubbing with them on Tuesday. Uhhhh ohhhh. Never been clubbing before, and I have no clue what to do. I don't drink for fitness reasons (do a lot of rowing at a high level) and I'm not the partying type in general. If you want to be harsh about it you could say I'm a geek.

So anyway I decided that I am going to go just to try it and get drunk this one time. I'm just nervous because it is all new to me. I don't think I'm going to dance (seems way to awkward). So, how can I make this clubbing experience as bearable as possible without ruining my relationship with my new friends?? Will I end up hating it and leaving early and pissing everyone off?? Help....
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just stand in the middle of the dancefloor and hope and pray that someone will come and rescue you.

:party:
Reply 2
Stand somewhere and sway side-to-side for three hours. Stop doing this now and then to go swap a gold bar for a drink.
Reply 3
Dance.
Reply 4
Okay, in an attempt to save you from utter embarrassment:

Do NOT try to keep up with your friends whilst drinking. Chances are, they've been doing this a while and will be able to handle a lot more alcohol than you can. You will definitely end up in hospital, or in a pile of your own urine on the high street pavement.

Everything else you just learn as you go.
You never know .. you might enjoy it! It's surprising how much fun a combination of alcohol, good music and friends can be! My advice would be to see what your friends do. If they dance, go with them and give it a go .. no one cares how silly you look when you're drunk! :tongue: they might stay at the bar or sit down, go outside to the smoking area? You don't have to smoke, you can just chat to people and cool down .. clubs are so hot!

Ps. don't be a perv and grab girls from behind. We don't like it :rolleyes:
Not that I go often but when I do I always get really into the music. I'll occasionally stop for a rest/ drink.

Try it out. It's not for everyone - chances are you won't like it, but chances are you'll really enjoy yourself and will want to go again. Don't feel pressurised to do anything though - if you don't want to drink, don't.
let the alchohol work you.
Reply 8
Find girls, dance with them, make out. If you're a guy of reasonable looks chances are there's at least one girl in every club who's gonna want to reciprocate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Why go clubbing if you're not going to dance? You may as well just go to a bar.
Reply 10
Original post by Mm_Minty

To get served after 12.30?
Reply 11
Clubbing for people who don't like dancing is useless.

When I used to go, I'd just get drunk enough to be able to dance, and sober enough to talk to girls.

God I really don't miss those days. Best years of your life my arse.
Reply 12
Original post by Mm_Minty

Different vibe. You don't have to dance in a club, that's why they have seating and tables. I think I've perfected the art of lip reading over the years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to the bar and get a drink that I wouldn't normally get down the local pub. Something like a jug of Sex On The Beach, because when in a club it's acceptable.

Attempt to dance, but then realise my new found jug of alcohol is likely to spill, so leave the dance floor.

Head outside to the smoking area for a cigarette and then begin chatting with complete strangers, because when you're at a smoking area and in a club, it's not weird.

Decide that it's that time of the night to go to the toilet, not because I need the toilet, but because I probably need to touch up my lip gloss, sit on top of the toilet and hold my shoes in my hands for a while because my feet are in agonising pain and then attempt to leave the toilet bare foot.

The bouncer then tells me that is a stupid idea because I'll probably end up with glass in my feet.
The bouncer is right and if I were sober I would know that without his help, I'd also be able to put my shoes back on without the supervision of two friends holding on to my arms.

The realisation that I have no drink in hand and my feet have had a small rest hits in, so I decide the dance floor is now calling me. Dive to the middle of the floor and decide I'm now Beyonce, voice and moves.

Find I'm being groped left, right and centre by men and women, because in a club it's assumed that's the done thing.

Discuss with the current group of friends whether to attempt the bar for another drink, or head to the next club.

Head to the next club and repeat.
Reply 14
Dance with my friends :biggrin:....I'd say that we're good at it too!
Reply 15
Dance, drink alcohol and talk to girls like every other normal person.
Reply 16
Original post by Steezy
Clubbing for people who don't like dancing is useless.

When I used to go, I'd just get drunk enough to be able to dance, and sober enough to talk to girls.

God I really don't miss those days. Best years of your life my arse.

The music is terrible too, mostly house/dance music (or whatever they call it) :boring:
Dance, meet and speak to random people in smoking area, negotiate with the bog wog.
What I do is:
1. Enter club
2. Realise that I despise clubs and clubbing
3. Leave club
Reply 19
Drink, wait for a song you like, the moves will come to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest