The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Running? Cycling? Swimming? Rowing?

In order: quite a bit less, were you even pedalling, congrats on the world record, quite a lot less.
Reply 2
Running of course... But in my case it was like running+jogging+walking

Posted from TSR Mobile
~15 minutes running. 1.5miles is 2.4km and a respectable 1.5 mile time is sub 12mins.

If you can't do it in one go then the speed and hence the time isn't your issue, its your general cardio vascular fitness in being able to run 3k. You problem is not being able to run for a sustained period, not that you can't run it faster. If you want to improve that something simple like the NHS's couch to 5k program is worth doing. Work on the ability to go the distance, then improve your speed over that distance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RedArrow
Running of course... But in my case it was like running+jogging+walking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Straight running takes about 15 mins for an average fit person, without knowing exactly how long you were jogging/walking for it's hard to say how your time is.
I've run it in under 9 minutes, but I was in the top 100 in the UK for my age group at the time :king1:
Reply 6
Original post by Le Nombre
Stra. ight running takes about 15 mins for an average fit person, without knowing exactly how long you were jogging/walking for it's hard to say how your time is.

Ouch..... I feel pathetic =p

So I'll have to run at a steady 12 km/hr for 15 mins if I need to consider myself average? That's daunting...I can't run at that speed for more than 5 mins...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by doggyfizzel
~15 minutes running. 1.5miles is 2.4km and a respectable 1.5 mile time is sub 12mins.

If you can't do it in one go then the speed and hence the time isn't your issue, its your general cardio vascular fitness in being able to run 3k. You problem is not being able to run for a sustained period, not that you can't run it faster. If you want to improve that something simple like the NHS's couch to 5k program is worth doing. Work on the ability to go the distance, then improve your speed over that distance.

Sorry...I didn't understand much of the post's second half. Do you mean to say it's okay to take a long period as long as I can cover the distance I've set?

I need to prepare myself for a 5km run. I figured ill first get used to 3km, then proceed forward ...

Original post by rockrunride
I've run it in under 9 minutes, but I was in the top 100 in the UK for my age group at the time :king1:

You won't be smiling when I beat that record... Hopefully :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
You need to be able to run the distance continuously before you should worry about pace. The "NHS" Couch to 5k program (actually it was created by a US blogger who works in IT and the NHS stole it and rebranded it, but I won't rant about that) is designed specifically to get people who can't run more than 1 minute continuously to be able to run for 30 minutes (which would be at least 3k in your case).
I'm working towards a sub 9 minute 1.5mile. To do that I would have to run at 6 minutes per mile average. So for me at least, the answer to 'How long should it take to do 3km?' is ~11 minutes.

Also to the poster who said a respectable 1.5 mile is under 12 mins, I disagree. I think any young healthy person has the ability to do a sub 9 minute 1.5mile with a bit of training.
Reply 9
Well someone with decent fitness could easily do 5k in that time. So you should be looking at a lot less.
Reply 10
Original post by JollyJelly
I'm working towards a sub 9 minute 1.5mile. To do that I would have to run at 6 minutes per mile average. So for me at least, the answer to 'How long should it take to do 3km?' is ~11 minutes.

Also to the poster who said a respectable 1.5 mile is under 12 mins, I disagree. I think any young healthy person has the ability to do a sub 9 minute 1.5mile with a bit of training.

So without training; the guy Gould be able to under 25 mins?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So without training; the guy Gould be able to under 25 mins?

Posted from TSR Mobile

when I first started running 2 months ago I did a 2.4km run in 11:30 mins. So without training the average young male should be able to do 3km under 25 mins yes.

Is that what you're asking?

We all start somewhere, no shame if you're a bit slower, at least you got off your arse and did it :smile:
Reply 12
Is this a joke? Lads you're really confused about the difference between miles and kilometers I see.
Takes me around 18 minutes.
Original post by JollyJelly
when I first started running 2 months ago I did a 2.4km run in 11:30 mins. So without training the average young male should be able to do...

Did you start running, or start any sport/exercise at all? I think you drastically overestimate how much sport 'average' people do, or else you are genetically gifted. The vast majority of people certainly cannot get up off the couch and suddenly run the equivalent of a 5k in <24 minutes (which is a decent-ish local club racing time) with no preparation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
Did you start running, or start any sport/exercise at all? I think you drastically overestimate how much sport 'average' people do, or else you are genetically gifted. The vast majority of people certainly cannot get up off the couch and suddenly run the equivalent of a 5k in <24 minutes (which is a decent-ish local club racing time) with no preparation.

I have cycled a lot in the past, but for over a year I've done nothing except drink booze and occasionally lift weights haha.

I said that 25 mins is slow for a 3km run. I realise that a 25min 5km run is a decent effort.

But perhaps I have overestimated the average person's fitness.. I was just basing my comments on me having a go at cardio for the first time in over a year and doing 1.5 miles in 11:30 and 3 miles in 28 mins. Which compared to other people I know is slow. So it's just personal experience really.
Reply 16
15 minute daunting? lol i run a 13:00 3k and im the farthest you can get to fit. please. 13 or forteen would be ideal
That's not that bad, i had 25 minutes for my first 2 miles i ever ran, however if you practice( even only for 6 months, which is me) daily, you can get a 15 mins 3km, which is me. I don't think that is bad, except for my age group, people were running it under 13, and this is only in middle school.
Reply 18
when i was a kid i usually walk 3 kilometers everyday going to school it takes me 30-40 minutes.
If it matters I took around 25 mins to cross the 3 km mark....thnks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guy or girl?

Latest