The Student Room Group

Dr Martens splitting after 6 months?

I bought a pair of 'made in England,' 3 hole, black, commando soled Doc Martens around the middle of May this year. I've been wearing them infrequently since then, usually for fairly unstrenuous activities, so was saddened to find this morning that the leather on the side of the toe crease has split - not along the sole but vertically up from it on the leather, up until just forward of the laces, where the sewn on shoelace section reaches towards the front. The split is about an inch long and I was really disheartened to find it, especially considering the strong, long-life reputation of these shoes

I bought these shoes with a firm confidence that they were built to withstand day to day wear, sadly they haven't even managed to outlast the life of some of my similarly aged canvas shoes (seriously, when DMs start to die before a pair of Vans that's a bad sign right?) Since they were bought a few months back and I was expecting them to be reliable, I no longer have a reciept which is a massive shame seeing as I paid nearly £100 for them. Would it be worth messaging customer services about sonething like this or are they not worth the bother? They were the nicest shoes and I'm so unimpressed with this!
Yep definitely call customer services - worth a try! If you can't get anything free from them, the DM shops can send boots away for repair, or Timpsons do DM repairs. Sounds rotten though, I've worn mine for like 18 months solid and have been looking into repairs only because I've worn down the actual sole :redface: Hopefully customer services will do the repair though as it does sound like a bit of an anomaly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's really strange.

My 16 year old docs finally split a couple of months ago and my others are all fine - if you've not been abusing yours then it's definitely something worth contacting them about. Even if they can't help you for free, they can offer advice on how to get them fixed. They're usually super helpful though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
mine have lasted 9 years. they don't make 'em like they used to. that said, you do have to take care of them, but unless you've been mountain climbing or storing them in a swimming pool i don't see how it can be right that they're ****ed already
My first pair of 14holes lasted me 7 years before I could not longer wear due to splits along the crease and down the heel. I wore them hard every day to school, college, work, days off and nights out.
My 2nd paid have lasted around 14 months even with proper care of the leather before splitting on the crease and heel.
My first pair I got second hand over 14 years ago are still going strong despite never have being polished (metallic purple leather). I don't think they are made as well unfortunately now a days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending