Ph.D in Social Sciences, UCL vs Edinburgh.

Watch this thread
bagujeon
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello,
Frankly it is a bit of silly question about Ph.D degree to other PPL.
As an international student, however, I don't have enough information for Ph.D in UK.

I have studied my MSc at SPRU (Science and Technology Policy Research Unit) in Uni.Sussex until this September, and got two offers from the Bartlett in UCL and University of Edinburgh.

The Bartlett is the school of planning department, whereas Edi, is the Science and Technology Studies (Alright, this course is closely related to my MSc). My research area focus on regional innovation and technology clusters. Both Uni., fortunately, are able to conduct my own research.

For this reason, I am just considering which uni. is a better for my academic career in terms of an international reputation and only research environment. After a Ph.D, I would like to get a job at Europe instead of my home country.

In my opinion, London has a lot of opportunities to attend diverse seminars and event such as LSE open seminar. But Edinburgh has the limitation of those seminars owing to the geographical proximity.

Regarding the supervisors, the Bartlett's professor used to joint research with my country's scholars. However, Edi' is totally unknown.

I must decide my course as soon as possible.
Can you give any advice?

Thanks,
Jeon.
MelinaG
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hello Jeon, can I ask you why didn't you follow aPhD at Sussex?
Can you give me some information about how it is in there? I would like to apply for a PhD in Science an Technology Policy. Would you recommend it?

Thanks a lot!
igcsecrazy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
This is a tough one as both are internationally known! However UCL is London so perhaps that has a slightly higher reputation just because of location. Also, it should have more job opportunities, however with more competition. I guess if they both are equal in terms of your research needs, and the department's research quality then perhaps look at where you see yourself for the next couple years, London is obviously encapsulates that busy upbeat lifestyle whereas Edinburgh, whilst still a big city is a little more scenic and relaxed. Can you see yourself working in either these places after your PhD? Also are you receiving funding? That's a massive factor in deciding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads