The Student Room Group

AS Level study

Hi all!:tongue:

I have recently started year 12 at sixth form and I have taken the following four AS levels:

- English Literature (AQA B)
- History (AQA) (Britain 1483 - 1529 and Life in Nazi Germany 1933 -1945)
- Law (AQA)
- Applied Business (AQA)

I would love to have a career in Law and was just wondering ideally how much private study I should be doing a week for these to get A and B grades? I know its early but I want to be well prepared as I know the step up from GCSE is massive! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by LucyDxo

I have recently started year 12 at sixth form and I have taken the following four AS levels:

- Law (AQA)
- Applied Business (AQA)

I would love to have a career in Law and was just wondering ideally how much private study I should be doing a week for these to get A and B grades? I know its early but I want to be well prepared as I know the step up from GCSE is massive! :biggrin:

You're right, the jump is massive and you get overwhelmed with the step up, however, it gets so much easier to handle once you have a good timetable going in terms of when to revise, when to relax, when to do homework etc... In my experience revising now (aka winter time) doesn't really work as effectively as you might think because you reach a plateau too easy! If you start revising hard now, by February time you will have grown sick of it, and given up, possibly leaving it till last minute, and being at risk of forgetting the stuff. What worked well for me last year was around about now, getting resources sorted. So what I mean by that is printing past papers, downloading mark schemes and examiners reports (just so you get a foundation to start with when you do start studying). February half term is when I made myself a revision time table and I planned exactly what hours each day I would revise. This worked really well for me and because I had a lot of information already, revision was easier than trying to juggle that, and learning loads of new things on top of it to revise later. When it got to March that's when I really recommend buckling down and intensely revising. I revised solidly last year every single day up until the exams, and although it absolutely killed me and my social life, I ended up with grades I never thought I'd get, so it was well worth the hard revision and dedication. Overall though it really is personal preference as to how you go about studying, but don't start too early because your motivation will just decline each week. Good luck :-)
Reply 2
Original post by ttreb
You're right, the jump is massive and you get overwhelmed with the step up, however, it gets so much easier to handle once you have a good timetable going in terms of when to revise, when to relax, when to do homework etc... In my experience revising now (aka winter time) doesn't really work as effectively as you might think because you reach a plateau too easy! If you start revising hard now, by February time you will have grown sick of it, and given up, possibly leaving it till last minute, and being at risk of forgetting the stuff. What worked well for me last year was around about now, getting resources sorted. So what I mean by that is printing past papers, downloading mark schemes and examiners reports (just so you get a foundation to start with when you do start studying). February half term is when I made myself a revision time table and I planned exactly what hours each day I would revise. This worked really well for me and because I had a lot of information already, revision was easier than trying to juggle that, and learning loads of new things on top of it to revise later. When it got to March that's when I really recommend buckling down and intensely revising. I revised solidly last year every single day up until the exams, and although it absolutely killed me and my social life, I ended up with grades I never thought I'd get, so it was well worth the hard revision and dedication. Overall though it really is personal preference as to how you go about studying, but don't start too early because your motivation will just decline each week. Good luck :-)

Awh thank you so much for this! This has defiantly proved useful to me :') if you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get at AS and A2 level? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
im doing law to my teacher gives us an exam every weak which is tiresome but good i usually get A's and B's and study like only 4 hours a week for law, its kinda early so no need to do more than that is suppose.
Reply 4
Original post by LucyDxo
Awh thank you so much for this! This has defiantly proved useful to me :') if you don't mind me asking, what grades did you get at AS and A2 level? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem! I'm currently in A2, but for my AS I got an A in psychology, A in ICT, C in English Lang and English lit :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LucyDxo

- Law (AQA)
- Applied Business (AQA)

Hey! I did English Lit (albeit with a different board) and history aqa last year (I even did one of your modules)

Basically, for English Lit I would advise knowing your exam texts inside out and especially quotes: read them again and again until you fully understand and learn them. I would also recommend that you see teachers if there's anything you're struggling with.

For AQA History, there is a lot of content, however, my advice would be to learn everything and not chance it by not revising one topic. Also, from experience, historical interpretation is vital for AQA and you can't get above a B without it. This is something your teachers should flag up e.g. 'There is some debate over whether Henry VII was a successful king in government, Carpenter says..., whereas...' etc.. To this end, I would recommend reading a few books about both modules (beyond the textbook) as this will help you get the all-important historical debate and thus access the higher marks :smile:

I'm sorry I can't offer any other info about the other 2, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions about history or english :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ttreb
No problem! I'm currently in A2, but for my AS I got an A in psychology, A in ICT, C in English Lang and English lit :smile:

Wow! Well done for your amazing AS results! :') will defo be using your advice for studying :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by smile:D
Hey! I did English Lit (albeit with a different board) and history aqa last year (I even did one of your modules)

Basically, for English Lit I would advise knowing your exam texts inside out and especially quotes: read them again and again until you fully understand and learn them. I would also recommend that you see teachers if there's anything you're struggling with.

For AQA History, there is a lot of content, however, my advice would be to learn everything and not chance it by not revising one topic. Also, from experience, historical interpretation is vital for AQA and you can't get above a B without it. This is something your teachers should flag up e.g. 'There is some debate over whether Henry VII was a successful king in government, Carpenter says..., whereas...' etc.. To this end, I would recommend reading a few books about both modules (beyond the textbook) as this will help you get the all-important historical debate and thus access the higher marks :smile:

I'm sorry I can't offer any other info about the other 2, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions about history or english :smile:

Thank you for this :') this is really helpful, if you don't mind me asking what grades did you get in English lit and history?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LucyDxo

- Law (AQA)
- Applied Business (AQA)

Hi
I did AQA English Lit B last year and I'm gonna tell you now - it's tough. Lots of people in my year did not do as expected, many were expecting As and came out with D's in the exam. My advice for the exam is know your texts very very well, and also do as my practise questions as you can. I know you won't be on that stage yet but once you familiarise yourself with the question style you'll know exactly how to approach it in the exam. May I ask what texts you're doing? I did The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Keats and Rossetti for my AS so I may have some tips for you regarding those.

For History I did a different exam board to you - Edexcel - so I'm not sure what yours will be like, all I'll say is keep on top of ALL of your reading now as you don't want to gave loads to read come May time (which is what I did)

good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
Hi
I did AQA English Lit B last year and I'm gonna tell you now - it's tough. Lots of people in my year did not do as expected, many were expecting As and came out with D's in the exam. My advice for the exam is know your texts very very well, and also do as my practise questions as you can. I know you won't be on that stage yet but once you familiarise yourself with the question style you'll know exactly how to approach it in the exam. May I ask what texts you're doing? I did The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Keats and Rossetti for my AS so I may have some tips for you regarding those.

For History I did a different exam board to you - Edexcel - so I'm not sure what yours will be like, all I'll say is keep on top of ALL of your reading now as you don't want to gave loads to read come May time (which is what I did)

good luck!

Ah thank you for this :smile: For english lit I am studing The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Auden and Rosetti Poetry I think (Either Auden or Rosetti poetry is going to be changed to a different text). We have done a few practive questions already and after October half - term, we will be studying Much a do about nothing and The importance of being Ernest for our coursework :smile: Do you have any advice that you could possibly share with me for the completion of coursework and possibly on how to get an A grade in this aspect? Many thanks :smile:
Original post by LucyDxo
Ah thank you for this :smile: For english lit I am studing The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Auden and Rosetti Poetry I think (Either Auden or Rosetti poetry is going to be changed to a different text). We have done a few practive questions already and after October half - term, we will be studying Much a do about nothing and The importance of being Ernest for our coursework :smile: Do you have any advice that you could possibly share with me for the completion of coursework and possibly on how to get an A grade in this aspect? Many thanks :smile:

Ah I didn't do so well in my coursework last year - got an A but only just scraped it so I don't really know what to say about it. I did The Importance of Being Earnest too, and then Twelfth Night. It depends on what question you pick but make sure you do lots and lots of drafts. I was ill around the time when I was supposed to be doing my coursework so I ended up finishing my coursework on the morning of the day it was due in, which was a reeeeeally horrible situation to be in. Didn't even have time to read over it! Ended up just scraping an A, 27/30 I think it was. Anyhoo make sure you start early and the more drafts you do, the better! As I said before I didn't do that well in my coursework, but I did get 100% in the AS exam so I'd be able to help you with that more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Ah I didn't do so well in my coursework last year - got an A but only just scraped it so I don't really know what to say about it. I did The Importance of Being Earnest too, and then Twelfth Night. It depends on what question you pick but make sure you do lots and lots of drafts. I was ill around the time when I was supposed to be doing my coursework so I ended up finishing my coursework on the morning of the day it was due in, which was a reeeeeally horrible situation to be in. Didn't even have time to read over it! Ended up just scraping an A, 27/30 I think it was. Anyhoo make sure you start early and the more drafts you do, the better! As I said before I didn't do that well in my coursework, but I did get 100% in the AS exam so I'd be able to help you with that more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! Well done on your coursework! That's amazing considering you were ill :') do you have to write a piece of coursework for each play? I haven't really been told much about what I need to do as we are starting coursework next week! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LucyDxo
Wow! Well done on your coursework! That's amazing considering you were ill :') do you have to write a piece of coursework for each play? I haven't really been told much about what I need to do as we are starting coursework next week! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :Yep, one essay for each. Around 1200 words I think (although I wrote 1800 for one of them and it was fine)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Thanks :Yep, one essay for each. Around 1200 words I think (although I wrote 1800 for one of them and it was fine)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank you very much for your help :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LucyDxo
Ah thank you very much for your help :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! You can always PM me if you need any more help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest