The Student Room Group

I NEED to talk to her, but I don't even know her name.

Okay I'm sure many people will have encountered this problem in the past, but I know for a fact 99% of people do not do anything about it (Sober).

I'm currently in my final year of university, I'm not the most confident person at communicating with people I'll be honest. But there is this girl who I see in the same building as me at university, she isn't in any of my classes, I don't know her name, I have no idea if she is single and I have absolutely no mutual friends with her. But I need to talk to her...

I hang around with my uni mates, and I really don't want to do this while they're around because they'd make it difficult for me, and it'd be a ton of added pressure. The times I have seen her, she's been with a friend too, and I don't know her lecture times or anything on her timetable, to be able to intentionally catch her when she's alone...

And also, just to clarify, I have never done anything like this before, for me to talk to a new person completely randomly is foreign to me. So I was hoping you guys could maybe offer some advice?
- What do I say exactly?
- How do I even approach her?
- When do I approach her?
- How do I end the conversation with her?
- If I find out that she's got a boyfriend or isn't interested in me, what do I do/say then?

Also, anything else that I've missed, that I you think I should take into consideration before doing this, please let me know...

Thanks in advance guys.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnigmaticIntuition
Okay I'm sure many people will have encountered this problem in the past, but I know for a fact 99% of people do not do anything about it (Sober).

I'm currently in my final year of university, I'm not the most confident person at communicating with people I'll be honest. But there is this girl who I see in the same building as me at university, she isn't in any of my classes, I don't know her name, I have no idea if she is single and I have absolutely no mutual friends with her. But I need to talk to her...

I hang around with my uni mates, and I really don't want to do this while they're around because they'd make it difficult for me, and it'd be a ton of added pressure. The times I have seen her, she's been with a friend too, and I don't know her lecture times or anything on her timetable, to be able to intentionally catch her when she's alone...

And also, just to clarify, I have never done anything like this before, for me to talk to a new person completely randomly is foreign to me. So I was hoping you guys could maybe offer some advice?
- What do I say exactly?

Also, anything else that I've missed, that I you think I should take into consideration before doing this, please let me know...

Thanks in advance guys.

How do you approach her?
Approach her in a dark alley.

What do you say exactly?
You remind me of my mother.

When do you approach her?
At night.

How do you end the conversation with her?
Bitch get in the van.
Reply 2

- What do I say exactly?
- If I find out that she's got a boyfriend or isn't interested in me, what do I do/say then?

Thanks in advance guys.

Welcome to my world. Honestly I'm in the same position as you, I'm a first year however at uni, and have no ideas how to do this when you're not drunk. And personally I hate that scenario of doing things when you have no idea you're doing or saying. Anyways, you can always act like you're lost or need to borrow a pen.......However I doubt you'll get far with this. Sorry.
How would you approach any other person? If you stop thinking this person is extremely special all the time, it'll make it easier for you to just talk to them like a normal person. Which is your aim, I hope.
Original post by John Stuart Mill
How do you approach her?
Approach her in a dark alley.

What do you say exactly?
You remind me of my mother.

When do you approach her?
At night.

How do you end the conversation with her?
Bitch get in the van.

That may have been the best thing I've ever read on here.

OP, I'll tell you something which is true but I'd never follow myself: what's the worse that could happen? You ask her out and she rejects you, right? Surely that's not all that bad, considering you never actually have to interact with her.
(edited 10 years ago)
Forget it! You'll come off as a creep who just tht this girl must be a prostitute or sth, to be coming off so strong in broad daylight when you have no idea who the person is!
Because you seldom see her and don't know her at all it makes it a lot harder. And as someone else above said, the chances it working are slim.

That said, there's nothing to say it can't. But you got to get on your skates now because time flies. Its almost end of October and the academic year is short especially at uni where a semester is only about seven weeks long.

How? Not too sure tbh. But I always think the uni library is a great place to bump into people. So if ever you see her at a computer or a desk, go sit next to her and grab the chance. You gotta be more proactive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the only way this is going to work is if you approach her when you next see her and deliver a short but winning pitch about how you never do this but you find her bewitching and whilst you know this sounds crazy, you'd never forgive yourself if you never let her know how you felt. You then hand her a card with your number on it (and your name) and say if she's interested you'd love to hear from her, say goodbye and confidently walk away.

Don't do it drunk, don't ask her questions about whether she's got a boyfriend, if possible do it somewhere open and public, wear something that projects an image of quiet confidence, and - I think this is key - don't ask for an immediate response. You want this to be flattering but any sane person will worry that you're mad of weird, so don't put any pressure on her whatsoever. The other advantage of this is that even if she's seeing someone now, if they break up she's got your number and might think fondly enough of you to take a chance. When you see her subsequently, keep your distance but offer a friendly smile. Wait for her to initiate any further contact.

There's a lot of reasons why this wouldn't work but I think you should go for it. Even if it doesn't, it's a cool thing to have done and if you pitch it right it might, just might, work.

If you do try it, please let us know how it goes - good luck!
Tbh, you should say a really weird cheesy pick up line because girls actually find that cute. Like not a one what directs to her appearance but something cheesy ok, I can see this turning into a love story and then a movie uekalsbanaka

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Someone help me
Tbh, you should say a really weird cheesy pick up line because girls actually find that cute. Like not a one what directs to her appearance but something cheesy ok, I can see this turning into a love story and then a movie uekalsbanaka

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless she has an IQ of 85>, this is utter crap. Most will get creeped out by a cheesy pick-up line.

OP, I'd just approach her and say 'Hey, just wondering what subject you study? I've seen you in this building a few times but you don't seem to be in any of my classes?'. That's a non-creepy start. She'll probably say something like 'Psychology.' then you can say 'Oh really? Cool, that's interesting. I study Maths. I'm Harry by the way.' and if she has decent social skills, she'll say 'Hi Harry, my name is Becky.' then you can say 'Nice to meet you Becky. Anyway, hope to see you around soon!' and that's it.

Next time you see her, ask her her work load is going. Tell her you've got a lot on, how you can't believe you're in your third year already. If she tells you she has a lecture, why not suggest continuing the conversation after it, if she has time.

Et voilá, you've a good foundation for a friendship which could potentially expand.
Original post by Yeah OK
Unless she has an IQ of 85>, this is utter crap. Most will get creeped out by a cheesy pick-up line.

OP, I'd just approach her and say 'Hey, just wondering what subject you study? I've seen you in this building a few times but you don't seem to be in any of my classes?'. That's a non-creepy start. She'll probably say something like 'Psychology.' then you can say 'Oh really? Cool, that's interesting. I study Maths. I'm Harry by the way.' and if she has decent social skills, she'll say 'Hi Harry, my name is Becky.' then you can say 'Nice to meet you Becky. Anyway, hope to see you around soon!' and that's it.

Next time you see her, ask her her work load is going. Tell her you've got a lot on, how you can't believe you're in your third year already. If she tells you she has a lecture, why not suggest continuing the conversation after it, if she has time.

Et voilá, you've a good foundation for a friendship which could potentially expand.

^'friendship'??

He wants to avoid the 'friendzone' I'm sure.
Reply 11
Original post by bloomblaze
^'friendship'??

He wants to avoid the 'friendzone' I'm sure.

Still better advice than the cheesy chat up line I reckon..
"Need"
Reply 13
I was nervous about approaching girls but I think about it like this : In this world full of billions of people some act of fate has brought us together, so i've got to know you now because we may never meet again.I'd rather not look back on my life full of regret wander 'what if' I'd done this or that, if she rejects me ok I tried, but there is always the possibility that she won't.

After thinking this my legs go into auto pilot and before I know it I'm introducing myself, because no part of me can I fault the above logic. She doesn't know you, you don't know her,anything could happen
Reply 14
Original post by diggy
I was nervous about approaching girls but I think about it like this : In this world full of billions of people some act of fate has brought us together, so i've got to know you now because we may never meet again.I'd rather not look back on my life full of regret wander 'what if' I'd done this or that, if she rejects me ok I tried, but there is always the possibility that she won't.

After thinking this my legs go into auto pilot and before I know it I'm introducing myself, because no part of me can I fault the above logic. She doesn't know you, you don't know her,anything could happen

Winning mentality!
There isn't really a natural opener, sadly that's our society. I'd say best move is just be totally direct, walk up to her and say "hi, would you like to go for a drink with me?". It might work, it's so confident.
Original post by diggy

can you tell us how to approach a girl?

ie what to say?

- What do I say exactly?

Thanks in advance guys.

Chat Roulette, you never know :wink:

Seriously: I am in the same boat as you.
Reply 18
Original post by Mankytoes
There isn't really a natural opener, sadly that's our society. I'd say best move is just be totally direct, walk up to her and say "hi, would you like to go for a drink with me?". It might work, it's so confident.

The trouble is, that with the type of girl you feel like doing this to, they are likely to have a lot of interest and may be a bit fed up with this type of approach. I also think it is a bit presumptuous and definitely a high risk strategy unless you are an Adonis. I would favour trying to get the lie of the land by some conversation before deciding to pounce.
Original post by Yeah OK

Guys, take this dude's advice. This approach is friendly, nice and gives you a lot of freedom to work with so if you don't like the girl / girl is in a relationship, you haven't made a fool out of yourself or get rejected. Plus, it shows any potential partner you're confident and a nice person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending