The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for pharmacy?

No longer need
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Fernando.A
I wanted to know if my GCSE grades are good enough to get into aston university for pharmacy.

English Language: B
English Literature: B
Core science: C
Additional science: B
Maths: A
D.T. Resistant materials: B
R.S: B
Modern Foreign Language: C
Geography: D

I don't know if universities will take this into consideration but since year 7 my attendance had suffered due to medical reasons. For year 7 it was below 90 percent that was the same for year 8 as we'll. Then in year 9 I had an operation and therefore I missed about 2 months of school. Then unfortunately in year 10 I had a complication of the surgery I had in year 9 and took about another 2 months off school for year 10. However in year 11 I did take time off school but not as much in the previous years, my attendance then was about 95 percent.

As you can imagine this did affect my GCSE grades particularly year 10 coursework's and GCSE core science. Do you know if universities take all this into consideration when making me an offer.
Thank you.

I'm not sure about the science grades, but you could make up for them at college (through resits or doing well at A level)

As for the 80-95% attendance, that's relatively normal. I know in school mine was around 80-90% every year since reception. If you get your reference to mention why your GCSE's are below what they require and the reason behind it, I'm sure universities will overlook them.

I know how disruptive operations are though, literally had 2 weeks off in feb for one and I missed so much of my AS levels it's unreal :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I do not know if they look at attendance, but your grades are good regardless!

To be honest, if your A-Levels are good enough, than your GCSEs will only have a little to no bearing on if they make you an offer. My advice is to work as hard as possible on your AS-Levels and find the relevent work experiences as soon as possible. Make sure you can get your personal statement as good as it can be- and this means starting now.

Don't let the horrro stories put you off. If you really want to do it then you have to just go for it.

Good luck. If you work hard enough, you can definitely do it!

Quick Reply

Latest