The Student Room Group

Interesting/amusing conversational topics

To put it simple, I'm **** at talking to people. I've never had a girlfriend (standard TSR-er here) but it's not because I don't have confidence (I can always fake it at least) but because I'm bad at small talk.

I feel like I bore the hell out of people when I ask the standard questions they've heard a million times - "Where are you from? What do you study? How long have you lived here? Blah blah derp"

Basically, does anyone have any decent openers, amusing questions to ask, anecdotes, whatever? Or at least some advice on how to have a decent conversation that stands out a little :confused:
Reply 1
The best thing I've come up with so far is explaining to people how Hitler created rock n' roll (which I do actually have an explanation behind, but that's besides the point here). Presented in an amusing manner it works pretty well :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
LOL but people like to talk about themselves so although you might find it boring or might think you are asking the same old questions they might quite like it. Rather than hearing you talk about hitler and rock and roll..ahh then again some girls might like it LOOL
Reply 3
Original post by CasualSoul
LOL but people like to talk about themselves so although you might find it boring or might think you are asking the same old questions they might quite like it. Rather than hearing you talk about hitler and rock and roll..ahh then again some girls might like it LOOL

Well I was just trying to come up with an example to get the ball rolling really :biggrin:
Original post by Guitarded
Well I was just trying to come up with an example to get the ball rolling really :biggrin:

haha

ohh right :smile:
This sounds so cliche, but I'd say just be yourself and keep doing what you're doing.
You will find people that you 'click' with, as soon as you have a conversation with them - they'll most likely end up being your close friends. Whilst the others will probably end up staying as 'friends' or acquaintances.

Personally, I just ask questions relevant to the situation.
So, like the other day at a Maths lecture, I asked some other attendees, what they were studying at A-level, which college/sixth form they went to, and general teenager stuff to break to the ice.
Oh, and to clarify, i'm in year 13.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending