The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Does it actually take five weeks?

Much like a lot of people here, I've also received the "five weeks" email from LSE a couple weeks back. I've heard that LSE is notoriously slow in letting applicants know about their offers/rejections, although some have already gotten them. The email says "up to five weeks," but does anyone know if it actually does take five weeks or less, or do they wait until longer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I received a similar email a couple of days after I had sent of my UCAS application. I was told that they are assessing my application and that this should take approximately two weeks?

Did you receive this email before your 'five weeks' email, or do you think it's different for each department? (applying for International Relations)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by nbashir1
I received a similar email a couple of days after I had sent of my UCAS application. I was told that they are assessing my application and that this should take approximately two weeks?

Did you receive this email before your 'five weeks' email, or do you think it's different for each department? (applying for International Relations)

I've applied for law, but also got the same email that you did first. They replied in two days and send me the five weeks one :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nerdgirl1996
I've applied for law, but also got the same email that you did first. They replied in two days and send me the five weeks one :smile:

Some people, I presume the ones with the strongest applications according to the LSE, have received offers within 2 weeks. Some others received the '2-week' email and at the end of those two weeks received a rejection, I presume these are people who've not satisfactorily met LSE's entrance requirements or whose applications are just not strong/competitive enough according to the LSE.

Other people have received the "5-week email" generally after receiving the '2-week' one. I don't think anybody's allotted 5 weeks are up yet, since application season has only just started, so it's difficult to predict whether or not offers and/or rejections will be made by that deadline or if a further delay will be communicated. I suggest checking back here in another two or three weeks when a lot of the earlier applicants' time periods have elapsed and seeing what their experiences have been.
Reply 4
I got a mail saying that they would get back to me in 12 weeks. After reading this thread, I'm really scared. Everyone else seems to get reply's within 5 weeks. Am I in a bad position?
Original post by Macgupta
I got a mail saying that they would get back to me in 12 weeks. After reading this thread, I'm really scared. Everyone else seems to get reply's within 5 weeks. Am I in a bad position?

Are you talking about the "confirmation" email or an "update" email?
The confirmation says 12 weeks for everybody.
Reply 6
Original post by arrowhead
Some people, I presume the ones with the strongest applications according to the LSE, have received offers within 2 weeks. Some others received the '2-week' email and at the end of those two weeks received a rejection, I presume these are people who've not satisfactorily met LSE's entrance requirements or whose applications are just not strong/competitive enough according to the LSE.

Other people have received the "5-week email" generally after receiving the '2-week' one. I don't think anybody's allotted 5 weeks are up yet, since application season has only just started, so it's difficult to predict whether or not offers and/or rejections will be made by that deadline or if a further delay will be communicated. I suggest checking back here in another two or three weeks when a lot of the earlier applicants' time periods have elapsed and seeing what their experiences have been.

Right, the only reason I was a bit skeptical was because people are always complaining about how slow LSE is when it comes to offers/rejections. Surely this can't be the case if they actually reply within the given amount of time.
Reply 7
Right, the only reason I was a bit skeptical was because people are always complaining about how slow LSE is when it comes to offers/rejections. Surely this can't be the case if they actually reply within the given amount of time.

LSE is slow in getting back to those people who are borderline and this has always been true. I personally received my offer for Law from them in late March despite having my application sent off in September. My flatmate, on the other hand, got her offer within three weeks of sending her application when she applied for the Law course in the same year as me.

If LSE doesn't find your application to be particularly strong, but still thinks it's not too weak, they will wait to compare your application with all the others. If they like your application and think it unlikely that better ones will come along thereafter, you will get an offer sooner.
Reply 8
I was talking about the confirmation mail. It's a relief to hear everyone gets a 12 week mail :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
LSE is slow in getting back to those people who are borderline and this has always been true. I personally received my offer for Law from them in late March despite having my application sent off in September. My flatmate, on the other hand, got her offer within three weeks of sending her application when she applied for the Law course in the same year as me.

If LSE doesn't find your application to be particularly strong, but still thinks it's not too weak, they will wait to compare your application with all the others. If they like your application and think it unlikely that better ones will come along thereafter, you will get an offer sooner.

The wait is the worst! Thanks :smile:
Much like a lot of people here, I've also received the "five weeks" email from LSE a couple weeks back. I've heard that LSE is notoriously slow in letting applicants know about their offers/rejections, although some have already gotten them. The email says "up to five weeks," but does anyone know if it actually does take five weeks or less, or do they wait until longer?

When did your school submit your app to ucas?
Reply 11

Oh my god, somebody has already been rejected? That makes me upset

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I got a "two week" email, and nothing except that, I am scared

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've only got a two-week email only.
I guess they'll give me an update tomorrow so I'm ultra-stressed now. Just stay calm and do what you usually do

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got e-mailed the 'five-week email' and I applied two weeks ago. I'm applying for Politics & Philosophy.
Reply 15
I think that they mainly do it by batches and by course. So they will probably assign a certain number of people to do each subject and the batches will be for example number X of people that applied between dates Y and Z will be one batch and they will send out replies to that batch first. Or one tutor will do one batch etc. So that doesn't necessarily mean that the strongest have already got applications, just probably the ones that have stood out from the ones sent in relatively early. I got the 5 week email today for BSc Management. I assume they would have had a huge inflow of applications in from the 10th to the 15th because of the Oxbridge deadline so if you applied during/after you they will probably take a while. That may explain the 12 weeks email. I got the 2 week email about a week and a half ago and today they've said they are considering me further.
Reply 16
Applied to do Economics and Economic History
Sent off my application on the 20th September, got the two week email a while after and then the 5-week email the next day.
5 weeks is up by tomorrow :s-smilie:
Reply 17
This is what I got:
1. Conformation email (they got my application) - 12 weeks
5 days later
2. Assessing personal statement - 2 weeks
10 days later
3. Application considered further - 5 weeks

This seems to follow what everyone else got.
Applying for accounting
Reply 18
Original post by Mkhad
Applied to do Economics and Economic History
Sent off my application on the 20th September, got the two week email a while after and then the 5-week email the next day.
5 weeks is up by tomorrow :s-smilie:

Yeah, mine ends today, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Isn't there anyone who received a '12-weeks' email notice?? :O ������������������ That's what I initially got, but now they sent me another mail saying i'll have to wait for 2 weeks...

Sent from my iPhone
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending