The Student Room Group

Shoplifting with a dead baby in bag

I found this story really disturbing so I thought I would get your opinion too

A suspected teen shoplifter was busted Thursday after she was found to be carrying a dead fetus in a plastic bag while swiping lingerie at a midtown Victoria’s Secret, cops said.

The horrifying discovery at the Herald Square store occurred after a security guard spotted the 17-year-old girl and a pal snatching sexy undergarments off the rack and called police.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1488876

There is a speculation that the baby was full term and asphyxiated. The mother also had a 2 year old child. I just find this story so disturbing. I know we may never know the full story but still.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry for the long reply, I got a bit carried away. It's definitely odd. For starters, I'm shocked and it is a horrible thing to hear about, especially with possible filicide. But as you have said, we don't know the full story so it's really hard to interpret and personally I'm not really sure what to think. If you did purposely kill your new born child, for whatever unthinkable reason, you would not take it shopping (or possibly even shoplifting which is even worse!!!). Any sane person (this will make me sound weird) if they did kill somebody would dispose of the body keeping it as far away from any other humans as possible (definitely not taking it into public even if it was wrapped in a bag). This is making me lean towards the theory that she is insane or just really evil and ridiculously stupid. However then we have to consider the other side of the story where the baby died in labour and she (being in such shock and being so young) not thinking properly believes there would be serious consequences of being found with a dead infant (even though it died naturally of no fault from her) and so in her panic she decides it would be best just to dispose of the body herself and keep the incident secret. But still that doesn't explain why she took it shopping. Do you have any thoughts on how it happened? And what else is also quite shocking is that she had her first child at the age of 15 meaning her first child was probably conceived at the age of 14
Reply 2
Poor girl. She must have been extremely disturbed. I find it highly inappropriate that photographs have been published of her. She's not even 18.
Reply 3
I think she wanted to get caught
Reply 4
Original post by Fembot
Poor girl. She must have been extremely disturbed. I find it highly inappropriate that photographs have been published of her. She's not even 18.

Ditto. Exactly.

In general I find it highly disturbing when people are identified prior to a criminal conviction. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

While this is, of course, a very disturbing story, there is a lot we don't know. Could she have been legally insane at the point of the crime?

What if she does have a mental illness, but is treated for it? Her life will still be destroyed because of the media.
Reply 5
I pray for the mental well being of this poor woman! The mind is our Hell and Heaven ! Its such a grey area still! I hope she somehow survives and become a stronger woman...! In the meantime I hope it becomes " yesterdays news" pretty fast.....
I don't think it's right they uploaded loads of photos of her. How are they allowed to do that? Before they've even had any time to determine anything, the media thinks it's okay to plaster her face all over the story? She's not even legally an adult; she's 17!

The story itself is really disturbing. Imagine finding that... Got to be one of the worst things to find in a plastic bag :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Sickening, the girl obviously needs psychological help.

Whether she was scared and confused or not, that is no excuse to put a dead foetus in a plastic bag and go shop lifting with a friend?

She's obviously not mentally stable to be a Mother and should receive help.

I also agree that her photos should not be uploaded, especially as there's no real conclusion to this story.
Reply 8
And still there'll be no laws on who can have children and how many.
Reply 9
listen too all you sympathisers

when a peado rapes a kid, do you say poor peado?

She could very well have murdered the child
Original post by rickfloss

Or she could very well have not. Which is why no pictures should be released until after the court case.
If thats not a cry for help I dont know what is.
Reply 12
Original post by gottalovephysics! :)
if thats not a cry for help i dont know what is.

HEEEELLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!l
(edited 10 years ago)
this is wrong on every level going
Reply 14

You really have no sympathy for a group of people who can't explore their sexuality without fear of raping people? Its a horrible way to live.

This girl is obviously a bit crazy and thus deserves some sympathy.
She's a sewer rat

17 with a 2 year old child, told me everything I need to know about this idiot
Original post by niceguy95
She's a sewer rat

Not necessarily because we don't know the circumstances of either.
Original post by ozzyoscy

Yes let's allow the state to decide who can have kid and how many. That sounds ****ing epic. :facepalm:

Because postnatal depression exists and is a very real problem. If that was the cause.
Reply 18
Original post by ozzyoscy

Thankfully.

I'd say, and still there isn't better sex education in schools, and still the Republicans want to deny women free access to contraception / abortions because I dunno, sl*ts who have sex shouldn't have any choices?
Original post by niceguy95
She's a sewer rat

She was also
- in school
- excited about a job interview

i.e. trying to get herself educated and into employment, while raising a child at the same time. What does that tell you about her?
Original post by Fembot

She was also
- in school
- excited about a job interview

i.e. trying to get herself educated and into employment, while raising a child at the same time. What does that tell you about her?

That's probably a lie, news papers always potray bad people as innocent

Its like when they describe gang bangers as young men who were nice to everybody and were aspiring to be a rapper

utter bull****.

Anyway how does any of the above you said justify her stupidity of hiding a fetus in a bag.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending