The Student Room Group

Did I make the right choice?

Okay, so my friend recommended coming here and asking for advice.

All throughout year 11, I wanted to study the International Baccalaureate; it appealed to me as I didn't have to narrow down my opportunities as much as A-levels and could study a range of subjects. They even put physics into the qualification so me and a few other friends could study it, and as result of committing to the qualification I didn't apply for any other schools as the place had been pretty much certified.

Six months later, the day after all schools had broken up for the summer, I received a phone call from the head teacher. Two of the physics teachers had left and so as a result I couldn't study the physics on the IB. As all the lessons had been set he basically gave me the choice of institution or education; do I pick the subjects I want to do or go to six form of my choice?

I ended up choosing the school, thinking about doing the IB without physics. On GCSE results day there was another phone call. The head of six form was emigrating in January and as result they dropped the qualification. Two weeks before we were due to study it.

For my A-levels I ended up choosing Chemistry, English Lit, Physics and Maths. But it was never my plan to study A-levels and I don't enjoy the course. It's too late to swap the subject, but I feel like I should have studied history instead of chemistry. At the time of hastily choosing my subjects I felt like I wanted to study physics at Uni, but after some initial test I am really unsure; I've done so badly yet I've tried to the point where I've been sleeping for a max of six hours most nights. My mental health isn't in the best place either; I can't help but think that perhaps my education is one of the causes. I really don't know what to do, I just wish I could be happy in all honesty. I feel like this is nearly a quarter of my life passed but I don't feel as though I've done anything right. Maybe I shouldn't have studied and chose physics; in all honesty it was as much family pressure - if I could I would be working with drama and music and dance. I just don't know what do anymore. Can you help please?
Wow that seems to be a really unfortunate situation that you're in! However, just because A-levels weren't your original plan doesn't mean that it won't work out. Keep your mind open about them, even if it seems really tough at first. I would have a talk to your form tutor/head of sixth and explain that your unhappy with your choices and A-levels at the moment. Also have a think about why you're unhappy. Is it that you're finding it hard? Or are you simply not enjoying the subjects? Trust me, you may feel like the only one yet I know so many people in my sixth form that are still so unsure about whether their subjects choices are right. I would just advise that you speak to staff at your school and also with your family. They will be able to help the most. I would also look into any dance, drama and music courses near you. I know my local college is still taking on people, and it might be that you decide to pursue this route instead. For now though, I would keep sticking it out with A-levels, and you never know things might start looking up! Everyone I know is finding it hard to adjust including me, and some days I honestly feel like **** when I get home and haven't understood anything and I have a pile of work to do! But if you're still really unhappy I would definitely look into something dance/drama/music related. Sorry I haven't been of much help, but I think talking to your tutor/head of year will be better, as they can advice you best. :smile:
Reply 2
To be fair, if you are struggling with A-Levels, you probably would have struggled even more with the IB, so I don't think it has anything to do with the qualification you ended up doing.

However, it may be the school or choice of subjects. Are you happy at school, and are you happy with Maths, Physics and English Lit? If so, it may not be too late to change Chemistry for History. If they won't let you change this late in the year, you could just drop Chemistry without sitting the exams and pick up AS History (or another AS like Drama or Music) next year without any detrimental effects.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest