Everything is overwhelming nowadays

Watch
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok I appreciate I sound elderly when I say this. But I'm talking overexposure to everything. Never has there been a time in history when there's such universal access to almost every area of people's personal/private lives. I feel exposed. Facebook, Twitter you know how it is. I can barely catch a quiet moment to collect my thoughts before a phone interrupts. No wonder we're all somewhere on a scale of mental illness nowadays.

And you're a fool if you come out with oh just don't participate in social media.

I actually hate knowing what my friends are doing all the time. Then don't look? I'll be notified. There's no mystery today. I'd love to be able to call my friend up and ask about their day but I already know about their day...

Leaving facebook etc, quite a possibility I'll become isolated.

Hmm tell me what's good about nowadays guys. Speak x
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ebony19)
Ok I appreciate I sound elderly when I say this. But I'm talking overexposure to everything. Never has there been a time in history when there's such universal access to almost every area of people's personal/private lives. I feel exposed. Facebook, Twitter you know how it is. I can barely catch a quiet moment to collect my thoughts before a phone interrupts. No wonder we're all somewhere on a scale of mental illness nowadays.

And you're a fool if you come out with oh just don't participate in social media.

I actually hate knowing what my friends are doing all the time. Then don't look? I'll be notified. There's no mystery today. I'd love to be able to call my friend up and ask about their day but I already know about their day...

Leaving facebook etc, quite a possibility I'll become iscolated.

Too much competition.

And it's making me crave olden days.

I'm sad.

Loser.

Tell me what's good guys. Speak x
I think that not participating in social media is the exact opposite of foolish.
But yes, I find modern life seriously overwhelming. I only want a simple life :cry2:
Rob da Mop
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Leaving facebook etc, quite a possibility I'll become iscolated.

Too much competition.

And it's making me crave olden days.

I'm sad.

Loser.

Tell me what's good guys. Speak x
Plenty of people our age don't have Facebook. I have it but log into it maybe a couple of times a month, mostly to check out events people tell me I've been invited to. It's a bit more effort to stay in touch with friends, maybe, but if you like your friends then that's worth it.
User182034
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I saw a comment just this morning that was someone saying they can't believe that people romanticise the past and forget how awesome it is to live in the Internet age. As someone who has experienced both a time before Internet and the now after, I can easily say I'd rather have the before. I hate that we have to be so connected all the time. You can't even detach form the Internet while at university because you're constantly expected to check your emails. I wish we could go back to having to actually speak to people, either in person or on the phone, when we want to arrange something. Facebook events make me want to scream.
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I think that not participating in social media is the exact opposite of foolish.
But yes, I find modern life seriously overwhelming. I only want a simple life :cry2:
I'd describe myself as sociable as well I'm definitely not introverted but there's just too much going on. Switching off is definitely in order to stay sane. Suppose that's nothing new but it's the way it 'penetrates' your private life now. Like when you go home, you don't get a rest from it.

It's a lot easier to feel inadequate nowadays so many ways of people letting you know they're better than you.

I realise I need to perk up. Thankfully I don't mope about the way my thoughts might lead people to believe...
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by e hine e)
I saw a comment just this morning that was someone saying they can't believe that people romanticise the past and forget how awesome it is to live in the Internet age. As someone who has experienced both a time before Internet and the now after, I can easily say I'd rather have the before. I hate that we have to be so connected all the time. You can't even detach form the Internet while at university because you're constantly expected to check your emails. I wish we could go back to having to actually speak to people, either in person or on the phone, when we want to arrange something. Facebook events make me want to scream.
I hear you
BlossomS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
Plenty of people our age don't have Facebook. I have it but log into it maybe a couple of times a month, mostly to check out events people tell me I've been invited to. It's a bit more effort to stay in touch with friends, maybe, but if you like your friends then that's worth it.
Exactly. I don't have an FB account, I think it's overrated! It's true, I wish that it'd sometimes be possible to just live a day without the need for social networking and the internet. Isn't it better to just do things the old fashion, manual way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlossomS)
Exactly. I don't have an FB account, I think it's overrated! It's true, I wish that it'd sometimes be possible to just live a day without the need for social networking and the internet. Isn't it better to just do things the old fashion, manual way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes manually ride that bike and go ask your friend how their day was tehe
BlossomS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes manually ride that bike and go ask your friend how their day was tehe
Lol better for your health! Good to get outside and smell the fresh air It's the thought that counts too

Posted from TSR Mobile
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is actually perfectly possible to live with minimal technology. My mam has no computer (doesn't know how to use one), no internet access at all (doesn't know how to "use" the internet), no email address, no subscription to any TV packages (she's only recently bought a TV with built in Freeview, and she's still not hugely sure of how it works).
She has a basic text and ring mobile phone, but she only got that because she found it was cheaper than paying line rental on a land-line (so she got her land line cut off).

She manages fine without an excess of technology to be honest, so yeah it's quite possible.
RedArrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a tough world :cool:

Either adapt or die trying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
It is actually perfectly possible to live with minimal technology. My mam has no computer (doesn't know how to use one), no internet access at all (doesn't know how to "use" the internet), no email address, no subscription to any TV packages (she's only recently bought a TV with built in Freeview, and she's still not hugely sure of how it works).
She has a basic text and ring mobile phone, but she only got that because she found it was cheaper than paying line rental on a land-line (so she got her land line cut off).

She manages fine without an excess of technology to be honest, so yeah it's quite possible.
Yeah she's your nan, in the nicest possible way . I can bet all her mates are doing the same too. If we were to go about living like that we'd be shunned by ours.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah she's your nan, in the nicest possible way . I can bet all her mates are doing the same too. If we were to go about living like that we'd be shunned by ours.
my MAM not my nan. My grandparents are deceased.

edited to add : if your mates would actually shun you just for not having a social network account, are they really very good friends?
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
my MAM not my nan. My grandparents are deceased.

edited to add : if your mates would actually shun you just for not having a social network account, are they really very good friends?
Oh sorry but still even our mums friends are all mostly out of the internet hype. But I totally agree they would be shoddy friends
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I ditched Facebook and I am much much much much happier for it.

I don't need 300 friends, i'm happy with 6 or 7 good friends, genuine friends.

As soon as anyone logs into Facebook they become show-off, attention seeking, fakes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23709009 And it's true.

I don't miss Fakebook a bit. I'll never go back, the worst innovation the internet brought.
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jjj90)
I ditched Facebook and I am much much much much happier for it.

I don't need 300 friends, i'm happy with 6 or 7 good friends, genuine friends.

As soon as anyone logs into Facebook they become show-off, attention seeking, fakes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23709009 And it's true.

I don't miss Fakebook a bit. I'll never go back, the worst innovation the internet brought.
Yeah just like to add I wasn't just talking about facebook, just the sum of the way we're existing including things like facebook.

But that's a good article particularly the last couple of little paragraphs
WGR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One thing I hate about facebook is that you can't "move on" say you work with someone for a while, they leave or you leave, you say your goodbyes and never see them again.....except on facebook where you're constantly updated with their latest pictures and life stories foervermore. Same thing with people who you used to know who add you out of the blue. Sometimes you just want to forget about the past and move on even if it wasn't bad. Anyway I stopped using that stupid site years ago and feel great.
TheOriginalAng
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really do anything on facebook but I'm on it a fair amount, usually it's just open in the background though. If you're finding people too annoying, why don't you just hide their posts? I do that all the time lol. Also, if your phone is ringing too much or notifying you about too much stuff, turn it off or put it on flight mode for a few hours. Lots of people who I know do that.

The thing I mostly crave, with regards to the olden days (we're talking really old here) is the adventure. The idea that so much was yet to be discovered and people weren't as bound to society as they are now... and then I remember that they didn't have showers

To address your point though, I wouldn't say I find it overwhelming, more underwhelming. I'm just not impressed with the attention-seeking aspect of it all nor how it's so in your face all the time and that it's considered really weird not to use it. I also dislike the extra competition but then I'm naturally competitive lol
Ebony19
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheOriginalAng)
To address your point though, I wouldn't say I find it overwhelming, more underwhelming. I'm just not impressed with the attention-seeking aspect of it all nor how it's so in your face all the time and that it's considered really weird not to use it. I also dislike the extra competition but then I'm naturally competitive lol
Yeah true it is rather underwhelming how there's so much access to knowledge and yet a huge majority of people are simply... simple.

As for competition I think we're all inherently competitive but there's a difference between healthy and unhealthy. And it's clear we've stepped into a territory where we're literally bombarded with what we're expected to be.

Hah by olden days I didn't mean cave man times... I'm talking pre-naughties
Arketec
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.09%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (37)
31.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.11%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
23.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.71%

Watched Threads