Studying Architecture

Watch this thread
Aimie Docherty
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I know it's a bit early for me to worry about going to uni ect. but hey, I'm stressing. I want to go and study architecture, been looking at a few, and Dundee and Strathclyde keep coming up in my research, a long with a few others abroad. I know what requirements I'd need for Dundee, and by the looks of it, it's far easier to get into. I was thinking about doing my undergraduate here in Scotland then maybe go over to Holland or Germany and get my postgraduate. I just need a few ideas of what to do, I wont be applying any time soon, maybe the in the next 2-3 years, but I'd just like to be able to have a rough idea of what I could do.

So if anyone has suggestions I'd like to hear from you

Also if anyone has done their undergraduate at one place and then their postgraduate else where I'd like to know if it worked out or not

Thanks
freya24
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Hi Aimee,

If I were you I wouldn't study architecture anywhere in Britain. The system of marking project work is way too subjective and loads of people are failed unfairly. I've attended three schools - The Mackintosh in Glasgow, Dundee University and Newcastle University and I've seen and witnessed loads of people being treated really badly. Recently I placed a FOI (Freedom of Information Request) with the department of architecture at Dundee University asking them how many students had failed third year since there records began. I received this response:

Academic Year 2005/2006: 14 Failed 3rd year of architecture at Dundee University
Academic Year 2006/2007: 15 Failed 3rd year
Academic Year 2007/2008: 14 Failed 3rd year
Academic Year 2008/2009: <5 Failed 3rd year
Academic Year 2009/2010: 7 Failed 3rd year
Academic Year 2010/2011: 8 Failed 3rd year
Academic Year 2011/2012: <5 Failed 3rd year
Academic Year 2012/2013: 5 Failed 3rd year

All these young lives shattered because their markers didn't like them or their designs. No ordinary degree for them. I really wouldn't risk it in the uk (no matter how clever and creative you are), but things might be different in Holland or Germany.
Aimie Doc
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hello,

Ahh I see, but due to the fact I am Scottish I get my fees paid for so I am hoping to study my undergraduate here as it would cost the most. If those facts and figures are true, then I am not willing to risk it, I guess I could look into Leiden University over in Holland and find out more. Id struggle for money, hence why I would love to study in scotland, so im not sure.

If you have any suggestions into what I could/should do, then id happily hear them out.
Aimie Doc
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ps: This is my new account as I forgot my password and stuff on my old one... so yeah... :|
freya24
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi Aimee,

I completely understand that owing to the fee issue Scotland is where you ought to do your first degree.

The 3rd Year failure figures are most definitely true I can assure you, I wish they weren't. I'll soon have the failure stats back from the other four Scottish architecture schools as a result of my Freedom or Information requests, so I shall post them here for you to view them. Then if you are determined to study architecture, you can take this information into consideration.

Only 1/5th of students starting out in architecture will ever become practising architects, of those only 20% are women. I know a female student, currently in her 3rd Year in Scotland (I'd rather not say where) who is loathing it. She didn’t mind 1st year but it has got a lot worse for her since then. I hear the same sorry tale time and time again. She's working every night in the studio until 11pm, has no life outside architecture and is terrified that they might fail her at the end of each year. Having to repeat a year is so common. If you did manage, against all odds to become a female architect, I've read you'd be twice as likely as your male counterparts to be unemployed. What good is a title if you can't pay the bills, buy a home, find secure employment etc.?

You get the picture. On a more positive note, I'm wondering if the course "Architectural Engineering" at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh might be an idea. They claim a 90% employment rate. That sounds good. They used to offer "Architecture", but somewhere along the way they have dropped the subject and replaced it with something more academic/useful. This course might be worth looking into. And good luck with whatever you choose to do.
freya24
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and Built Environment. "Our number of failures after re-sit boards of August in each of the following years are as follows":

2012/13 - 8
2011/12 - 17
2010/11 - 16

For some reason they have only provided me with figures for the last three years. They show a scarily high amount of failures for a final year of study.
freya24
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Following a FOI (Freedom of Information Request) to the department of architecture at Strathclyde University, this the number of students who were failed at the end of their third year from 2006-2013.

YEAR - NUMBERS FAILED TO GAIN AN ORDINARY DEGREE
2006/2007 - 4 Failed 3rd year at the University of Strathclyde
2007/2008 - 8 Failed 3rd year
2008/2009 - 13 Failed 3rd year
2009/2010 - 19 Failed 3rd year
2010/2011 - 14 Failed 3rd year
2011/2012 - 5 Failed 3rd year
2012/2013 - 8 Failed 3rd year

In 2013, the minimum entrance requirements for the BSc in Architectural Studies (Architecture) at Strathclyde were:

Qualification - Grade
SQA Higher - AAAB
GCE A-Level - ABB

Again, these figures are worryingly high.
freya24
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Following my FOI request to Heriot Watt University regarding the BSC in Architectural Engineering, this is the reply I received.

"The overall number students who have failed at the end of years 3 and 4 is so small that there is a risk that individuals could be identified and so we would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. The figures below are therefore compliant with the Data Protection Act 1998."

2005/06:- <5 (failed at the end of year of either 3rd or 4th year)
2006/07:- NONE
2007/08:- NONE
2008/09:- NONE
2009/10:- NONE
2010/11:- NONE
2011/12:- <5 (failed at the end of year of either 3rd or 4th year)
2012/13:- <5 (failed at the end of year of either 3rd or 4th year)

<5 could be as little as 1 student failing at this late stage due to something major going wrong in their lives. These are the type of figures you'd expect from a normal academic course at a good university where the entrance requirements are set fairly high.

In 2013, the minimum entrance requirements for the MEng in Architectural Engineering at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh were:

Qualification - Grade
SQA Higher - AAAB to include Mathematics
GCE A-Level - ABC or BBB to include Mathematics at B

The failure rates of any normal academic course are likely to be on a par with these figures. I just chose this particular course as a comparison to show how truly brutal the architecture course is. I've never met anyone who has failed a final year in any other academic subject. I really is that rare. Yet in architecture it's soooo likely it's unreal.
freya24
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Interesting info.

Glasgow School of Art fails significantly less students. The data is just in from a FOI request.

The numbers of students failing 3rd year of the undergraduate course in Architecture are:

September 2004 - 0 students
September 2005 - 1 student
September 2006 - 1 student
September 2007 - 2 students
September 2008 - 0 students
September 2009 - 0 students
September 2010 - 2 students
September 2011 - 6 students
September 2012 - 2 students
September 2013 - 0 students

These figures are sooo much lower than Robert Gordon University (Aberdeen), Strathclyde University (Glasgow) and Dundee University, yet GSA has the lowest entrance requirements of them all.

For a more extensive list (which is being added to all the time) goto http://ukarchitectureschooling.blogspot.co.uk/
staciew1
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by freya24)
Following a FOI (Freedom of Information Request) to the department of architecture at Strathclyde University, this the number of students who were failed at the end of their third year from 2013.

YEAR - NUMBERS FAILED TO GAIN AN ORDINARY DEGREE
2006/2007 - 4 Failed 3rd year at the University of Strathclyde
2007/2008 - 8 Failed 3rd year
2008/2009 - 13 Failed 3rd year
2009/2010 - 19 Failed 3rd year
2010/2011 - 14 Failed 3rd year
2011/2012 - 5 Failed 3rd year
2012/2013 - 8 Failed 3rd year

In 2013, the minimum entrance requirements for the BSc in Architectural Studies (Architecture) at Strathclyde were:

Qualification - Grade
SQA Higher - AAAB
GCE A-Level - ABB

Again, these figures are worryingly high.
m curently in 6th year, i didnt get the grades i wanted for my highers last semester - B art C biology C RMPS failed maths and english, i have applying to glasgow school of art, dundee strathclyde and portsmouth. at the moment i am studying advanced higher art , resitting maths and english, and crashing higher physics and graphics communication, is there a possibility i will recieve a conditional offer if i get certain grades on what im studying the now or do i have to reapply next year? or is there any other way to get into this course postgraduate or something like that ? thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (79)
18.9%
The paper was reasonable (156)
37.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.99%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.79%

Watched Threads