The Student Room Group

Advice Please!

Hello everyone :smile:

I don't know what to do :frown:

I'm in year 12, studying Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, French, and History. I also have a good AS in Philosophy (taken early) and my school offers AS Anthropology as an 'Enrichment', taken over two years.

I'm not sure what to study after year 13. I think it comes down to languages (French/Russian/Arabic) or medicine (with the end goal of pathology). I can't choose.

My GCSEs were solid (2 Bs, 3 As, 10 A*s); they shouldn't hold me back. Naturally, my first priority is to get through this year and next, but then what? :confused:

Please help - anyone else stuck between languages and medicine? How did you decide? Is MFL a useless degree?! Any advice appreciated :smile:
I think the best thing for you in this case would be to try and get some medical work experience, as this could end up shaping your views on the profession. If you don't really enjoy it, then going for medicine seems a bit redundant, whereas if you do enjoy it, then it could make your decision a bit easier.

Don't forget medicine courses last anywhere from 4-6 years, so you also have to think about whether you'd mind these extra years if you were to go for medicine. Which subject area do you enjoy the most?
Reply 2
Thanks for your response :smile:

I currently volunteer at my local hospital (Speech and Language Therapy - thought it would support an application for either course), and I love it. It's such a focussed atmosphere and I'm learning a lot. I'll definitely look into other departments/shadow work though.

Other than the financial expense of doing such a lengthy course, I'm not deterred by it. It feels like a very natural path to follow as I enjoy biology/chemistry/maths. I'm particularly interested in genetics, haematology and anatomy. I'm not **exceptionally** good at practicals, but I was good enough last year and don't have any serious concerns.

I'm put off by how competitive medicine is, especially as I'm undecided. If I hit my targets (and that's a very big 'if'!), with some obvious exceptions, I could feasibly expect offers from most universities for languages. Whereas for medicine it seems that you go where they'll have you - if they take you anywhere at all.

I love languages, but I have no idea what I'd do with a degree in them. I think I'm probably most attracted to the apparent security of medical careers though (I did unexpectedly well in science last year; medicine hasn't been a realistic option for long) rather than naturally orientated towards them. I'm interested in both! D:

Biology, chemistry, maths, psychology, UKCAT...sounds like you're a medical applicant yourself. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest