Passed my driving test today:) what do I do next?

Watch
username962210
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
--
Last edited by username962210; 1 year ago
MichaelP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Toxicated)
Hi all, today I have passed my driving test and I am now legal to drive woop! :P I have no knowledge of what to do next like how insurance work (different type of insurance?), what kind of cars I will be driving or should drive around my age etc.. I am 18 and I turn 19 next year.

I really want to start driving as soon as possible but does anyone know how much my insurance will be around my age? My budget is around £2000 but I really don't want to spend so much just on insurance :/ My friends keep telling me it will be high, if so how would I go about getting it cheaper?

Also if I don't drive for like a year, maybe 2 after passing, will my insurance be any cheaper since I am holding the license but not doing anything with it?

Many thanks
First off congratulations, I'm ultra jealous :P

You are after a first car right? I suggest getting something like a VW Golf or maybe a Polo, depends if you want a petrol/diesel car, 3/5 door etc

Insurance at our age will be quite a bit, usually around the £1500 mark
I'm not sure if it will be cheaper if you hold it but don't drive, I think it will be the same
Build up your no claims (to about 5 years) and insurance will be much cheaper
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Toxicated)
Hi all, today I have passed my driving test and I am now legal to drive woop! :P I have no knowledge of what to do next like how insurance work (different type of insurance?), what kind of cars I will be driving or should drive around my age etc.. I am 18 and I turn 19 next year.

I really want to start driving as soon as possible but does anyone know how much my insurance will be around my age? My budget is around £2000 but I really don't want to spend so much just on insurance :/ My friends keep telling me it will be high, if so how would I go about getting it cheaper?

Also if I don't drive for like a year, maybe 2 after passing, will my insurance be any cheaper since I am holding the license but not doing anything with it?

Many thanks
My insurance was £2000 and that was the best possible price I could get. So if you're happy to buy insurance but not have a car then you're within the budget.

Otherwise you're a bit stuck. Your insurance will vary depending on where you live. Just find some ideal cars for sale and stick the details into an insurance website to get an idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise