The Student Room Group

EPQ Extended Project Advice URGENT

Hello everyone,

I have decided to base my extended project around International trade.
I was thinking of something relating to the extent that International Trade improves the standard of living in less economically developed countries.

Is this is a good question to do? Is it too broad of a question?

If so, do you have any suggestions which would help narrow down the topic.. (bare in mind it is just 5000 words).

I would love it if you could recommend a question and some sub questions.

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
It sounds like a good project but if you wanted to narrow it down a bit you could do 'to what extent has International Trade improved the standard of living in *insert country i.e, kenya*
Yes, this is a very good area to look at.
There are often surprising results as well: for instance, two countries can benefit from trading with each other even if one produces everything more cheaply than the other (i.e. that country has a 'comparative advantage').

I can't say whether your question is too broad or not though, because that paragraph doesn't seem to contain a question!
If you propose one, maybe some of us can think about possible modifications to consider.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies. The question I have in mind is:
"To what extent does International Trade improve the standard of living in less economically developed countries?"
OR
"To what extent does International Trade improve the living in India?"
OR
"To what extent does International Trade improve the standard of living in India and China?"

I don't know how to phrase the question, because I don't know how much information I will get if the question doesn't have enough research in it.
Original post by VinayPatel
Thank you for your replies. The question I have in mind is:
"To what extent does International Trade improve the standard of living in less economically developed countries?"
OR
"To what extent does International Trade improve the living in India?"
OR
"To what extent does International Trade improve the standard of living in India and China?"

I don't know how to phrase the question, because I don't know how much information I will get if the question doesn't have enough research in it.

I'd suggest a really slight modification to your first question:
"To what extent can international trade improve the standard of living in less economically developed countries?"

You might want to consider how 'the standard of living' may be defined as well: is it definitely this variable that you want to investigate?
(NB I think it's a good choice, but just want to make sure that you don't really have economic growth or GDP in mind, or something else).
Reply 5
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I'd suggest a really slight modification to your first question:
"To what extent can international trade improve the standard of living in less economically developed countries?"

You might want to consider how 'the standard of living' may be defined as well: is it definitely this variable that you want to investigate?
(NB I think it's a good choice, but just want to make sure that you don't really have economic growth or GDP in mind, or something else).

That is very helpful, thank you.
I have researched and I am finding a lot of information on the UK. I don't really know whether I will be able to write 5000 words on 'standard of living'. What other things could I talk about (as sub-questions), and also, how would I phrase the question?

I need an urgent reply please :frown:
Thank you.
That is very helpful, thank you.
I have researched and I am finding a lot of information on the UK. I don't really know whether I will be able to write 5000 words on 'standard of living'. What other things could I talk about (as sub-questions), and also, how would I phrase the question?

I need an urgent reply please :frown:
Thank you.

You could talk about GDP/economic growth and possibly other economic variables, or even how trade may (or may not) naturally lead to political integration (the case in point being the UK and 'Europe').
But my advice for now is to settle on one specific question and start writing.
You can easily fill 5000 words with your question in its current state, if you research to the level of depth required for an EPQ.
It's not really about how many questions you can answer, or even just writing anything until you reach the 5000 mark and then putting your pen down: assuming away a good style of writing et c., the words you write are really pretty much just evidence that you have really got to grips with a subject, have considered it and what others say about it deeply, critically and reflectively.
If you need to broaden or otherwise modify your question later, that is an option.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
You could talk about GDP/economic growth and possibly other economic variables, or even how trade may (or may not) naturally lead to political integration (the case in point being the UK and 'Europe').
But my advice for now is to settle on one specific question and start writing.
You can easily fill 5000 words with your question in its current state, if you research to the level of depth required for an EPQ.
It's not really about how many questions you can answer, or even just writing anything until you reach the 5000 mark and then putting your pen down: assuming away a good style of writing et c., the words you write are really pretty much just evidence that you have really got to grips with a subject, have considered it and what others say about it deeply, critically and reflectively.
If you need to broaden or otherwise modify your question later, that is an option.

Thank you for your reply, it has really helped!
However,
I have a few of the topics that I am going to be talking about, such as..
- Employment
-Standard of living
- Importing and Exporting (Advantages+Disadvantages)

Which other factors could I talk about?
And also, which order should I put them in? Because I want the essay to flow and link with each other.

Thank you in advance!
However,
- Employment
-Standard of living

And also, which order should I put them in? Because I want the essay to flow and link with each other.

Thank you in advance!

That sounds good: I'd probably stick with that.
You will need to analyse in quite a bit of detail, so I wouldn't try and cover any more than this, but rather delve into each of these in depth.
Reply 9
However,
- Employment
-Standard of living

Thank you in advance!

Im doing an Epq on Chinas economic history, so similar in a way to yours.

You could talk about the WTO & the effects of globalisation on both domestic and international markets. You could also incorporate the gini coefficient within 'standard of living'.

Also perhaps implications of fast economic growth / standard of living in India / Whatever country you do. You could talk about the environmental restrictions, political pressures, whether such high GDP growth can be sustained (high trade is associate with high growth).

Though i do not know much on India, in my project i discussed how Chinas fast growth has created a lack of quality GDP leading to a vast amounts of ghost towns and uncertainty for future government construction projects.

Edit: Heres a cracker. Perhaps if you focused on India / xxx, then perhaps how the 2008 Financial Crisis has affected their trade? Since domestic industry in mature economies such as USA cant cope with legislation, it makes it cheaper to import. Adds a nice, modern element in your dissertation.

Hope i helped! Quote me if you need any more help, i am nearly finished with my overall project :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Jkizer
Im doing an Epq on Chinas economic history, so similar in a way to yours.

You could talk about the WTO & the effects of globalisation on both domestic and international markets. You could also incorporate the gini coefficient within 'standard of living'.

Also perhaps implications of fast economic growth / standard of living in India / Whatever country you do. You could talk about the environmental restrictions, political pressures, whether such high GDP growth can be sustained (high trade is associate with high growth).

Though i do not know much on India, in my project i discussed how Chinas fast growth has created a lack of quality GDP leading to a vast amounts of ghost towns and uncertainty for future government construction projects.

Edit: Heres a cracker. Perhaps if you focused on India / xxx, then perhaps how the 2008 Financial Crisis has affected their trade? Since domestic industry in mature economies such as USA cant cope with legislation, it makes it cheaper to import. Adds a nice, modern element in your dissertation.

Hope i helped! Quote me if you need any more help, i am nearly finished with my overall project :smile:

Wow that's excellent! Your project seems really interesting, and it has definitely helped me! When did you actually start your project? and what grade are you targeting?
Reply 11
That sounds good: I'd probably stick with that.
You will need to analyse in quite a bit of detail, so I wouldn't try and cover any more than this, but rather delve into each of these in depth.

Thank you for the advice! But, would three factors be enough for the essay? Would I need to talk about any other factors such as Political, Economical, Social or Environmental?
Reply 12
Wow that's excellent! Your project seems really interesting, and it has definitely helped me! When did you actually start your project? and what grade are you targeting?

At our school we 'start' ours in January. By start i mean, go to a few sessions then never go back for the rest of the year ^.^ I went to only around 5 meetings before the summer xD
I wrote mine during summer in about a week (But so much corrections had to be made!)

I hope to finish it all by Christmas. My dissertation was read by my assessor and he thinks its an A/A* worthy piece o.O. Though we shall see how the presentation goes first! I just hope to get an A at least since it lowers my university entry by 1 grade but also means theres (slightly) more leniency if you miss your entry requirement.

In your dissertation i would probably say you need 8-12 topics. Since 3 will be an Abstract, Intro & Conclusion, then that makes your thinking reduce to 5-9 chapters.
Reply 13
Original post by Jkizer
At our school we 'start' ours in January. By start i mean, go to a few sessions then never go back for the rest of the year ^.^ I went to only around 5 meetings before the summer xD
I wrote mine during summer in about a week (But so much corrections had to be made!)

I hope to finish it all by Christmas. My dissertation was read by my assessor and he thinks its an A/A* worthy piece o.O. Though we shall see how the presentation goes first! I just hope to get an A at least since it lowers my university entry by 1 grade but also means theres (slightly) more leniency if you miss your entry requirement.

In your dissertation i would probably say you need 8-12 topics. Since 3 will be an Abstract, Intro & Conclusion, then that makes your thinking reduce to 5-9 chapters.

Oh wow! I hope you achieve your target! Our EPQ sessions started in September! We have done our collection of resources and everything we needed, so now it's writing time. I'm just worried because I really need to go for an A/A* but with what I'm doing, I'm just concerned that my project is a bit bland, as in, I'm not covering many topics, or that it's not going to be detailed enough.
Reply 14
Oh wow! I hope you achieve your target! Our EPQ sessions started in September! We have done our collection of resources and everything we needed, so now it's writing time. I'm just worried because I really need to go for an A/A* but with what I'm doing, I'm just concerned that my project is a bit bland, as in, I'm not covering many topics, or that it's not going to be detailed enough.

'Need'? :smile:

You probably want to replace 'international trade' with globalisation (personally i think its a more broad and concise word). Also perhaps change 'standard of living'. Perhaps something to do with overall economic performance? 'To what extent has globalisation contributed to the economic boom in India?' (Obviously you could touch it up a bit on the last bit)

You dont have to stick to 5000 words. Can easily go over. I went over by 1500 words or so ^.^ Best thing to do is make preliminary chapters that you will cover, do a bit of research like copying links in each chapter and if there isnt enough, then discard it.

From quick thoughts, you could cover chapters such as; Economy overview; how globalisation has helped; implications - sub chapters including Gini, standard of living, domestic employment, international relations, domestic political system, environmental; long term; other economic factors such as FDI; future economy of india;

It doesnt matter if its not particularly interesting reaaaally. My mate is doing one on the flash memory market >.< Its mainly about the skills in the end. You can even get away with a shoddy dissertation if the rest of the materials you produce is of good quality.
Reply 15
Original post by Jkizer
'Need'? :smile:

You probably want to replace 'international trade' with globalisation (personally i think its a more broad and concise word). Also perhaps change 'standard of living'. Perhaps something to do with overall economic performance? 'To what extent has globalisation contributed to the economic boom in India?' (Obviously you could touch it up a bit on the last bit)

You dont have to stick to 5000 words. Can easily go over. I went over by 1500 words or so ^.^ Best thing to do is make preliminary chapters that you will cover, do a bit of research like copying links in each chapter and if there isnt enough, then discard it.

From quick thoughts, you could cover chapters such as; Economy overview; how globalisation has helped; implications - sub chapters including Gini, standard of living, domestic employment, international relations, domestic political system, environmental; long term; other economic factors such as FDI; future economy of india;

It doesnt matter if its not particularly interesting reaaaally. My mate is doing one on the flash memory market >.< Its mainly about the skills in the end. You can even get away with a shoddy dissertation if the rest of the materials you produce is of good quality.

Well, 'want', but I say 'need' because I just don't want to settle for 2nd best. I don't want to have to re-do the project due to getting low marks/not passing, or simply not putting in what I'm capable of getting out.

And I see where you're coming from with Globalisation. I'm still going to do another in-depth review of my progress and see where I can change certain things around.

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 16
Hi, I'm doing an epq on the russian revolution. I expect it to be quite a popular topic, does this put me at a disadvantage?
It's just because I really enjoy the topic and have no idea on what to do it on

Quick Reply

Latest